• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Gundam AGE to Stream in 5 Languages as It Airs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote
Are you guys serious? An English simulcast and it's not available for the US? Are the Chineses subs not available in China, too?

And I thought just Bandai of America was run idiots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
It works in Australia though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
flame66

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
damn, I am so disappointed, the kid is a teenage of character acting as a boy, and i am deeply and badly disappointed,
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Are you guys serious? An English simulcast and it's not available for the US? Are the Chineses subs not available in China, too?

And I thought just Bandai of America was run idiots.

I should probably point out that Bandai Visual once created an American branch (even though they already had one) and had a panel in which they announced that they refuse to dub anything because english dubs suck. They then proceeded to charge 50 dollars for 3 episodes of Super Robot Wars. Doing stupid stuff like having an english simulcast that doesn't have North America isn't beyond the Japanese.

Anime fans will find any excuse to pirate, and companies like Bandai seem to want to give them those excuses the fact that Bandai has this complete lack of understanding on how to simulcast years after TV Tokyo figured it out shows that Bandai is simply stubborn and refuses to adapt.

I think its pretty clear that the only way Gundam is going to be popular in America again is if Bandai simply licenses it to another company like Funimation or Zombie ADV.
Expias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The only country that would be useful for is Singapore, which has 5 million people and half of those speak chinese.

While you're correct that a lot of them speak Chinese, the English speaking trend has made it that Mandarin is only the most common language spoken at home, and amongst the old (born before 1950s) and very poor.

It's the language used for signs, documents, legislation, and education. There's a very large chance that this is perfectly marketed towards Singapore.

Not to discredit how lame it is that other countries who are much more fluent in English can't watch it...

People also don't realize WHY there are chinese subs even for chinese dialect-speaking people. The spoken language is different for many places but there's only two "types" of the written chinese. Simplified and Traditional. Barring not knowing how to read either, all people who can "read" chinese will be able to understand, whether or not they speak Mandarin or Cantonese or any other chinese dialect.
pinoiBIGscientian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
The video is available in the Philippines.

This is quite a peculiar case. The video is only available in South and Southeast Asia? What gives? Poor Americans... This could certainly be a feast day for fansubbers.

@Charred Knight: Filipinos can also understand English Smile

@Fitgnat: The video IS available within the Gundam.info site. You just have to know where to look.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
Welp, on goes the eyepatch again.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Well, this is something to look into. It certainly is peculiar that this is being geo-blocked, While all of the other shows on that Youtube channel in all languages aren't.

I'm sure this well be sorted out eventually; keep in mind that as of now that the supposed Chinese subs are nowhere to be found as far as I can see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2