• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III's Supporting Voice Cast Changed for 1st Time in 16 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
Kouichi Yamadera is the only one who's done voice work in two Lupin TV specials and one OAV. You might know him best as Michael Suzuki the main antagnogist of Tokyo Crisis. I'll be curious to see if he can hold the torch as the new voice of Zennigata.

I personally know him best as Spike Spiegel and to a lesser extent Togusa from GitS, but point taken when looking at his VA work from a Lupin perspective. Naya is one of my favorite seiyuu of all time (Captain Okita from Yamato! Merkatz in LoGH!), so while the news is disappointing, at least they got one of the best in the business to replace him.

-DA
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
I would have prefered Mami Koyama (Lunch, Vermouth, Fujiko in 1989...) for Fujiko Mine.

Probably for the better they didn't use her, though. The younger, the better (to a point). If they're trying to give the franchise a "fresh start" (which is how they say it in the Japanese Mainichi article), they need to get a pretty young cast going so they can sustain their roles for a while.
Ulrika1120

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
As a 38-year-long Lupin III fan since the 1st TV series, I just came by to see what overseas fans have to say about the change.

We all knew this had to come, particularly Goro Naya for Zenigata.
Still, it is sad to say good-bye to the familiar voice but I'm pleased to see all of you know so much about the series.

I'd just want to give Goro Naya the best applause heartfully, for his excellent service for the last 40 years as the character voice of our beloved Inspector and welcome the new cast who will have to bear an extreme pressure.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I am saddened by reading this, but at the same time, it's like everyone said - we knew it was coming, it was just a matter of time. The main one that hits me the hardest is Goro Naya.

I won't lie, for the most part, I'm a dub fan. I even enjoy both dub casts of Lupin (particularly the short-lived FUNimation cast), but Lupin is one of those titles where I greatly love the sub casts as well, and a lot of it had to do with Naya's performance. Heck, when I got to watching the first DB film subbed, I was happy just to hear his little role in that.

Here's hoping the new cast is able to uphold all of our expectations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ulrika: Well, Naya already has the perfect tribute, so... Cool
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
If anyone of the replacement voice actors sounds too young, this might be done intentionally so they would keep the actor for like 35-40 years from now before next replacement.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
I would have prefered Mami Koyama (Lunch, Vermouth, Fujiko in 1989...) for Fujiko Mine.

She would have been my choice as well.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Dynamic A wrote:
I personally know him best as Spike Spiegel and to a lesser extent Togusa from GitS, but point taken when looking at his VA work from a Lupin perspective. Naya is one of my favorite seiyuu of all time (Captain Okita from Yamato! Merkatz in LoGH!), so while the news is disappointing, at least they got one of the best in the business to replace him.

-DA
Yes, I do agree that Kouichi is the best in the business, including his roles as Togusa & Spike Spiegel. Not to mention his Japanese Dub roles for various American animated films.

Last edited by E-Master on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

Well, I haven't heard Mami Koyama in anything in years. She was more active in the 80s/90s. Her biggest claim to fame is probably Kei in Akira.

@E-Master Yeah, he is good! He plays Donald Duck in Japan, which is a very hard role to do. But I had no idea he was Spike (well, I haven't seen Bebop in Japanese, so...).
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

@E-Master Yeah, he is good! He plays Donald Duck in Japan, which is a very hard role to do. But I had no idea he was Spike (well, I haven't seen Bebop in Japanese, so...).

I've heard his voice as Donald which nailed the way Tony Anselmo does the voice. I always have the saying that it's easier to do Mickey than Donald. Not to mention Kouichi being the Japanese voice of Stitch, Aladdin, Genie, & Sebastain. Very prolific for Disney Japanese dubs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
It's a little sad, but also necessary. Fujiko was beginning to sound like Masako Nozawa. Fujiko should have a younger sounding voice, it's the whole point of her character, young and sexy. Goro Naya was starting to sound pained. Though anyone should have trouble when doing shit like The Last Job, in which the running gag is Lupin getting bitten on the ass by a ninja dog. It's too bad he didn't go out on a high note.

Now if TMS can only get some replacement WRITERS and give us a Lupin III anime that isn't garbage. They haven't delivered a good special in years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Now if TMS can only get some replacement WRITERS and give us a Lupin III anime that isn't garbage. They haven't delivered a good special in years.

The last good TV special for Lupin in my opinion was the Detective Conan crossover, only cause the story for it was better than previous three TV specials which each of them either didn't use the right chemistry on the characters or the writers didn't try hard enough on the story. Paticularly the one with Mamo Kyosuke making his first anime appearance since the first TV series.

While I do agree that The Last Job TV special wasn't the greatest story in the world. The concept of Zenigata's would be death would of made a great concept if they'd imply he was dead until the last minute of the TV special, but let's say I was half disappointed with it was only three fourths within the TV special. Those who seen it would know what I mean. Sadly there'll probably won't be another Lupin related anime revolving on Zenigata's would be death for a while. The next time they do try something like that again, I hope it won't reflect the same way it was done in The Last Job.

As a long time Lupin fan, I'm all in for an excellent TV special or atleast something that's watchable. I know for a fact that there'll always be a new Lupin anime, as long as there's fans out there who'll watch it.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
Here's some NicoNico footage from the upcoming TV Special along with some voice samples from the new VAs: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15844151

And an upcoming Lupin pachinko game with the new voice cast and character designs by Takeshi Koike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XjdaNb-2_M

I shared some opinions on the Lupinthe3rd.com forums, but the long and short of it is: I like them all and I'm glad they bear a resemblance to the originals without trying too hard to sound EXACTLY like them.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Eivion wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

Well, I haven't heard Mami Koyama in anything in years. She was more active in the 80s/90s. Her biggest claim to fame is probably Kei in Akira.

She's still doing voice acting for anime franchise that started in the 80/90s : she voiced Lunch in Dragon Ball Kai, she's voicing Vermouth in Detective Conan (even if it's a small role), she voiced Miki in Angel Heart recently...
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
With every Lupin III special, movie, or OVA that has aired of late that Zenigata's seiyuu has really been sounding bad and that the others, save Lupin himself, sound old at times (and that's just because he was a replacement, and a VERY worthy one, to the original Lupin). So, while on one hand I am sad to see the passing of the baton, on the other, the voice acting won't be such a distraction.

I am a bit disappointed that what had been reported as a new TV series is merely a special. That's not surprising, but I would have enjoyed a new TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3