• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Boxing Loves

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I might get peach girl now that I know it has a reward at the end. ^__^

Shelf obsessed- Are those The Recipe for Gertrude and Crossroad that I see on those crammed sheves? nice selection choice!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, a reward at the end or not I just don't see a series that has gotten reviews like it has up until volume 6 to really be worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Miho wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the Fruits Basket Thinpak have the extras that the original box set had?

It is almost certainly the same thing. Funi almost never removes extras (the YYH mini-sets are the only case I can think of where they did) and Fruits Basket was only 4 discs to begin with, so its not like they would need to cut it down any more.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Quote:
The sound is clear and the video is sharp, and it's a great opportunity to check out this show.

Was the Nadia discs remastered for this release? I have the individual 10 volume release which don't look that great compared to the remastered Macross, or Evangelion. Has Nadia been given the remaster treatment?

I doubt they did anything to it. I can't see them putting that kind of work into a cheap re-release like this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Nadia back in the lime light again. To me it was and remains the best Anno has ever done. spoiler[Though he should have been spanked for that Thunderbirds parody.] It is intreging how Anno gave Nadia a nod and a wink in EVA as well. I wonder how many others who had seen Nadia before noticed that. Wink
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm glad to see Nadia back in the lime light again. To me it was and remains the best Anno has ever done. spoiler[Though he should have been spanked for that Thunderbirds parody.] It is intreging how Anno gave Nadia a nod and a wink in EVA as well. I wonder how many others who had seen Nadia before noticed that. Wink

You mean spoiler[having a giant named Adam as the first human? Don't remember there being a Thunderbirds parody, but it's been years since I've watched NADIA.]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

You mean spoiler[having a giant named Adam as the first human? Don't remember there being a Thunderbirds parody, but it's been years since I've watched NADIA.]
Nope. It's something very simple but oh such an infamous icon of both.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
You know I want the government to question and investigate ADV. I mean they keep constantly rehashing this damn series to the point fans of it start to hate it. I mean it's just shameless marketing. So why in the name of God did I just buy recently the Aphrodite set of the Rei and Asuka pvc figures? Why am I going to finally upgrade my vhs collection to dvd? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I want them investigated to know what kind of subliminal messaging they have in their programs. Shocked

Well... I sure hope you're not of voting age. You're likely to believe that Bush wanted to ban all anime crap.

(That or you were joking.)

Speaking of Evangelion figures, I really should send in photos of my selves. The only problem is that I mix US and Japanese comics, animation, and films together. Oh and their related figures. Many many figures from every series imaginable. I've got Wolfwood next to Huntress from Batman. Gendo next to the Stay Puffed Marshmellow Man. A Hellsing poster next to Sin City: Hell and Back and Nightwing posters. I got a Gundam model fighting a Big Daddy from Bioshock in front of John Locke from Lost. Oh and that's next to my Eva Platinum DVD box with Eva nesting dolls on top of it.

So yeah, my shelves are quite mixed.

Oh trust me I am definitely of voting age. I also didn't vote for Bush personally but for much different reasons. And yes, I was joking. Wink ....maybe
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Pityless/Envy wrote:
Who knows, if ADV gets the rights to the movies, we might still see a few more "complete" sets.

For now, I'm happy with my $8 singles.

You know I want the government to question and investigate ADV. I mean they keep constantly rehashing this damn series to the point fans of it start to hate it. I mean it's just shameless marketing. So why in the name of God did I just buy recently the Aphrodite set of the Rei and Asuka pvc figures? Why am I going to finally upgrade my vhs collection to dvd? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I want them investigated to know what kind of subliminal messaging they have in their programs. Shocked

Seriously! I'm a terrible anime fan, I've never seen the entire series [one day, I swear!] and yet I still bought these and the first edition of the Evangelion Pinkies.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Miho wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the Fruits Basket Thinpak have the extras that the original box set had?
I think only ADV (usually) pares down their extras for thinpack releases, to cut down on disc count. Fruits Basket, however, was always on only four discs, so they should be the same.

Wasn't it one of Funimation's first forays out of Dragonball-land, by the way?
It was certainly one of their first forays into anime outside of male-oriented action series. I recall Chris B's comments for the first volume: "Funimation launches a series that two years ago no one would have expected them to touch." It seems like it worked well on all levels, aside from the initial sticker shock at the high-value, high-price DVDs. I managed to get the original boxed set for about $65 three years ago, and that felt like a wonderful deal at the time. So $49 or whatever the going rate is on this thinpack is even better.

For Peach Girl, I'd always heard that it was one of those "woefully incomplete compared to the manga" series, so I pretty much avoided it after seeing the first episode fansubbed at anime club over 2 years ago. It seems like it might be worth it, but at this point, I may as well wait for the boxed set.

That Nadia tin is tempting, but right now my shortage of cash is greater than my shortage of anime. It would be great as a space-saver, but RightStuf has 8 of the 10 singles for $2.99 each, and the other singles (3 & 8) can't be that expensive elsewhere,
archaron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Miho wrote:

I just got it in from Right Stuf and does have all the extras in it. I got it for $38 because I had ordered the old box set for $45. As luck will have it they weren't able to get me the old set so they sold me the thin pack at a discount.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I doubt Nadia is remastered. However, I would like to know if they've produced new discs for this release, or have just thrown the old OOP singles into a tin case.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm glad to see Nadia back in the lime light again. To me it was and remains the best Anno has ever done. spoiler[Though he should have been spanked for that Thunderbirds parody.]

FTR, Anno did not direct that particular episode, which is among the island sequence (23-34, which I include all that asinine stuff in Africa)--those were handled by Shinji Higuchi.

I agree that in comparison to, say, Evangelion, and Kare Kano, Nadia is among Anno's best, although like those two shows, it goes downhill midway through--contrary to EVA and KK, it does shape up for an excellent ending, but I think it would've been so much better if it those island and African episodes remained on the cutting room floor. Even Anno has stated that the only episode he would have kept from the filler sequence was Episode 31, spoiler[in which Nadia learns who she is from Red Noah], if given the choice of eliminating the bad filler episodes.

Also a word of note to newcomers who may be misled by the advertisement that the show is "consistently engaging" and that Nadia as a character is "a lot of fun." That's only partially true. For its first 22 episodes and final five it is indeed excellent, but I can imagine many people being apalled by its disappointing second half as I was. I also felt that Nadia herself became too unlikeable during the filler sequence--again, I blame that on the bad writing; the aforementioned excellent episodes portray her as a more sympathetic (albeit sometimes troubled) heroine.

-Jon T.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Peach Girl last night, and I gotta say I rather enjoyed the ending. Amazingly, they were even able to make Sae a somewhat likeable character, although she definitely retained her meddlesome, devilish side with what she did in the last episode! Early on in the series I couldn't stand her so much that I wondered what the Manga-ka was thinking with giving her a standalone manga series in Sae's Story, but now I have to admit I am interested in picking it up!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"A great gift for the holidays."
-Bamboo Dong, Shelf Life

.. and thus ADV's email handily takes the prize for most circuitous way of learning the new Shelf Life is out. Not sure why they cut off the rest of that sentance though. Don't forget, their own sale runs through this weekend (returning the favor seems fair) so you can get prices at or below those listed in the review.

The Xenos wrote:
Speaking of Evangelion figures, I really should send in photos of my selves. The only problem is that I mix US and Japanese comics, animation, and films together.

So yeah, my shelves are quite mixed.

Unless folks are keeping them in another room (asuming they have any at all) I cannot recall any separated collections, so would guess most of us are more interested in filling shelf space than discriminating by country of origin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2