• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, November 19–25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
I still don't get it... how is it that every week the new triple release of Naruto volumes are out, the latest in the series sells more copies? Are people really not paying attention, and only buying the "newest one" rather than buying all three, or at least the first of the new three? It just doesn't make any sense... -_-
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I still don't get it... how is it that every week the new triple release of Naruto volumes are out, the latest in the series sells more copies? Are people really not paying attention, and only buying the "newest one" rather than buying all three, or at least the first of the new three? It just doesn't make any sense... -_-

Looking back over the articles, it looks like it's a result of reporting not reflecting the reality of the books' availability. The week #22-24 came out, #24 was the highest, but there was a note in the article that the volumes had been available before their official release date. This probably means that some people bought #22 and/or #23 in such a way that it didn't show up on the list, and then got #24 when it did. (At a guess, anyway--I'm not sure how the list tracks early releases. However, comic book stores were listed as one place the volumes were available early, and I'd guess most of their sales aren't tracked.)
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
VIZ has done an excellent job of promoting Naruto with their "Naruto Nation" advertising campaign. These manga sales numbers just continue to show the success of Naruto in the US.

It will be interesting to see how these sales numbers will change once the "Shippuden" part of the story begins with Volume 28 in March.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the latest in the series always sells the highest because it's the only one in shrink wrap. Volumes 16-17 were normal releases, while 18 was wrapped because of a sticker sheet in the back (the same for 19-20 as normal releases and 21 with wrapping, and so on). Because of the wrapping, the people who like reading stuff without buying it... can't. They could always skim through the first two books and then buy the third one.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
Maybe the latest in the series always sells the highest because it's the only one in shrink wrap. Volumes 16-17 were normal releases, while 18 was wrapped because of a sticker sheet in the back (the same for 19-20 as normal releases and 21 with wrapping, and so on). Because of the wrapping, the people who like reading stuff without buying it... can't. They could always skim through the first two books and then buy the third one.

Haha... I'm rather inclined to agree with this, and hadn't thought of that myself. I know it's not for the first reason stated (seeing as all three volumes are available early, not just one or two of them, as all three place on the list even before they are officially released), and the Borders I used to frequent before it was closed due to a contract the mall had with Barnes & Noble (which moved in right across from the Borders) used to get all Viz releases the weekend before the release date. And since they almost always release the first Tuesday of the month, I could go by the mall the last weekend of the month and pick up all the new volumes of Viz series as the employees were taking them out of the boxes. That was always nice. Getting Bleach, Naruto and Shaman King before the grubby aisle-crawlers got their hands on them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1