• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Wins 12 of 21 Newtype Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AvenuIe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
AvenuIe wrote:
So this show rips off Kamen Rider Ryuki in just about every aspect and people hail it as this great work?

This is one of the stupidest things I've read today. Thank goodness PMMM didn't do something as rehashed as mirror-dopplegangers.

http://oretokudo.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/just-for-fun-kamen-shoujo-madoka/

http://oretokudo.wordpress.com/2011/09/08/madokarider2/

Haha, yeah, no. Even early on, Madoka's similarities to Ryuki were so obvious. The only reason there wasn't a big scandal about it on the English side of the internet was because the tokusatsu and anime fandoms are so divided from each other that fans don't cross over too much. But even when I was first watching Madoka, I noticed the Ryuki similarities right off the bat.

It's rather ignorant to toss this out, especially when the director himself has said he was inspired by Ryuki.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the setup is very similar. But the results are not. Have you gone back and read that blog's predictions for the characters? Practically none of them turned out to be true (except arguably Homura's), and most of them are really off. Kyouko as a villain?

Similar beginning yes, but what actually made PMMM popular had practically nothing in common with Ryuki. The way that the Mirror Monsters were created has nothing to do with PMMM's witches, with the latter being a much darker take. And the magi never have their own little monster to contract with. They are all with Kyubey, and they fight on their own. Very different.
AvenuIe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the characterizations are the same, a great deal of the plot is the same and the difference in most of the cases is simply semantics.

Warning: Picture contains major spoilers

http://i.imgur.com/MANUu.jpg

Yeah, it's okay to have similarities, but Madoka goes way beyond that.

[EDIT: Removed needless spoiler tag, emphasized spoiler nature of pic. - Key]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
WHOA!

Huge-ass spoilers in that picture. Tag that, man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
AvenuIe wrote:
A lot of the characterizations are the same, a great deal of the plot is the same and the difference in most of the cases is simply semantics.

spoiler[http://i.imgur.com/MANUu.jpg]

wow dont realise that
kitchiri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Haha, wow. Linking bunch of stuffs to prove your point. That never works, you know.

AvenuIe clearly proves himself to be mindless hater of Madoka, non-other than that. Being the one who actually watched the both shows, I know you are just being an ass. In that sense, I can gather about same amount of evidence to prove that Madoka is rip off of Evangelion, Madoka is rip off of Hidamari, Madoka is rip off of Steins;Gate, and everything.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
No love for Magia Sad Connect is an alright song but after the third episode of Madoka the theme song just doesn't fit the series much either. Granted the lyrics make perfect sense after the finale.

Magia's full version was pretty bad. Probably what drove the votes down if you ask me. The TV version was good though. Connect, on the other hand was solid both ways. Also, ClariS FTW!

What? No way, Magia is great in its full version no way it's a bad song. Kalafina is a fantastic music group they're very solid if you ask me. I can't really compare it to "Connect" because of how different they are. But Magia has all I love in a good song, strong vocals, good melody everything not to mention a pretty badass guitar solo.

Now compared to the Kajiura/See-Saw Song "Obsession" which I think is way better in the TV Edit version as opposed to the full version which sounds overly like a weird reprisal and lacks the energy of the full version or the FictionJunction YUUKA Japanese "Cazador del Amor" versus "El Cazador."
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Magia's full version rocks. That part getting close to the end of the song where they just go nuts on the guitar, sweet stuff.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
AvenuIe wrote:
It's rather ignorant to toss this out, especially when the director himself has said he was inspired by Ryuki.

Inspired by is very different than ripping off.
AvenuIe wrote:

spoiler[http://i.imgur.com/MANUu.jpg]

Yeah, the similarities you list are so generic you can apply them to much more than just Rider/Madoka. The character similarities are so flimsy as to be pointless. The second blog article you linked ends up comparing each PMMM character with at least 2 Rider characters. You're mixing and matching selectively to exaggerate the similarities.

The granting of a wish in exchange for having to fight others in the same situation isn't that uncommon of a plot device. Pretty sure that's the premise of F/SN too. And they also have summoned servants/familiars they make contracts with. Holy crap, it's another rip-off!

The main character struggling with their motivation for the journey, particularly the refusal of the call, is a fundamental element of the heroic journey, so that's something both shows have in common with pretty much every other show involving a heroic journey ever. Wait, upon further reading, it seems the main character of Rider doesn't spend the entire show refusing the call, which is kind of a major aspect of PMMM. So yeah, big difference right there.

second blog post wrote:
spoiler[Unfortunately, neither Yui nor Madoka get to see (or, more importantly, exist in) the final result of the world they created. Yui (in the TV series at the least) puts the ultimate end to the Rider war by sacrificing her own survival. Madoka brings the end of despair to magical girls by sacrificing her own life and existence. ]

Um, no. spoiler[Madoka DOES get to see the world she created, because she ascended to the level of an omnipresent diety. She doesn't even save the lives of the various magical girls outside the handful she interacted with, instead, she saves the souls of all of them.] That's kind of another huge fundamental difference. Also there is the point that spoiler[she ends up a closer parallel to the villain's love-interest/motivation character than the hero. In which case, who is the parallel for the main character of Rider?]

that blog you linked wrote:
I’d never say all of Madoka was some intended Ryuki rip off. I never have and would never say that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Really don't care if PMMM has similiarities with other series, it is a fantastic series on its own.

Seems like from the very beginning, this is a show you will either love or hate.

Haters are always trying to find new excuses to explain away why the show is very successful. They can't just leave it at simply, 'they don't like it or its not their cup of tea'. They are compelled to spread their hatred for the show to everyone. I think it is a plot by Khubey, to harvest their emotional hatred. Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
kitchiri wrote:
Haha, wow. Linking bunch of stuffs to prove your point. That never works, you know.

Heheh, Gatsu would've done the same thing. Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
AvenuIe wrote:

Warning: Picture contains major spoilers

http://i.imgur.com/MANUu.jpg

As others have said, try hard enough and you can draw comparisons between almost any two series. Even the writer of the blog you referred to earlier stated:

Quote:
I’d never say all of Madoka was some intended Ryuki rip off.

And he's right. Even if there are similarities - and on some of his points he's stretching and even admits that he is - there are plenty of differences, too, and the differences are what make the series special. The exact nature and motives of Kyubey have no parallel in anything that I've seen or heard of before (spoiler[using the emotional power of magical girls to offset universal entropy] was particularly inspired) and the art design elements certainly do not resemble those of any other anime title. I also thought that the end of the series was a much closer parallel to spoiler[Serial Experiment Lain], but even so PMMM put its own twist on it that resulted in a more emotionally fulfilling resolution. (The final resolution in the series I spoiler-tagged above feels much more empty by comparison.)

But I doubt that this will make any impression. I've seen your type before, and your only objective seems to be to lambaste PMMM at every opportunity. It's your right to do so, but be sure that you have some strong arguments to support your position if you wish to continue, as you will be facing a vociferous defense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
Wait, the main character of Kamen Rider Ryuki is named Shinji and he struggles with his will to fight or whatever?

Blatant Evangelion ripoff. They didn't even bother to change the name. Rolling Eyes
Zapdos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah,Madoka is a rip off of Kamen Rider Ryuki.

Madoka fans will try to deny it but it's the truth and truth hurts to Madoka fans.

Of course,it's normal to have similarity with other anime/show but when you have too many similarities with ONE particular show,I call that unoriginal which is the case with Madoka.

Having 'few' similarities according to Gen or using the word 'inspire' is an understatement.

Unoriginal anime don't deserve to be called best.

Madoka to Kamen Rider is like Guilty Crown to Code Geass.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Someone is trying to open Pandora's box.

If you are not careful, Homura will come visit you for bad mouthing her favorite girl.

Of course, Zac might do worse to you for dropping a nuclear bomb on a 2 year old dead thread.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3