• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, it's a great dub. I love Yuno's voice...

BACK OFF! LET ME EXPLAIN!

In the original Japanese, she sounds sweet and cute. That's part of her character, but she overplays the part. she sounds more like a childish 12 year old than a sweet high schooler. It's so overly childish that you can tell something isn't right with her.

Now, in the English dub, Brina plays her with the same kind tone, but instead of sounding childish, she sounds like a real teenager. A nice girl who you'd never suspect. What I really liked was that during the infamous "Goodnight Yuki" scene, when she says goodnight she says it in a shaky, anxious voice. Like she's struggling to keep her composure due to what just happened. In the Japanese, she sounds just as nonchalantly cute as ever despite her facial expression being upset.

The dub makes her more believable as a character, while the Japanese seemed to build her up like she's innocent to the point of not realizing the weight of her situation. In the dub, she sounds like she's broken when something bad happens, which is how an insane person should sound. In the Japanese, she sounds too cutesy and sweet, like a child not getting her way or something. I guess it's hard to explain, but despite what everyone is used to, I personally prefer her greatly in this more subtle version.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess I just wasn't expecting the nice girl you'd never expect and more of what Tomosa Murata sounded like.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I guess I just wasn't expecting the nice girl you'd never expect and more of what Tomosa Murata sounded like.

Neh... I dunno man. Either way, Kenichi as Yukiteru is an awesome choice.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
...Dub is very meh.

I smiled at Yuno's voice because it somewhat reminded me of Haruko's voice from FLCL, but not so much because it really fits the character. In the case of both of them, they sound a bit too old to be themselves. Really not feeling Deus' voice either. Minene was all right though.

Still doesn't beat this. Razz
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
casting a role that Norio Wakamoto played must be difficult.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
...Dub is very meh.

I smiled at Yuno's voice because it somewhat reminded me of Haruko's voice from FLCL, but not so much because it really fits the character. In the case of both of them, they sound a bit too old to be themselves. Really not feeling Deus' voice either. Minene was all right though.

Still doesn't beat this. Razz

Aw you little troll. But keep in mind, these are voice Actors. They're putting their own spin on the characters. Making Yuno sound more mature than in the sub gives the dub a bit more... differentiation than the Japanese. After all, if they sounded too similar, you might as well be watching the Japanese anyway.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Aw you little troll. But keep in mind, these are voice Actors. They're putting their own spin on the characters. Making Yuno sound more mature than in the sub gives the dub a bit more... differentiation than the Japanese. After all, if they sounded too similar, you might as well be watching the Japanese anyway.

Personally I like the added maturity in their voices, the dub works for me...except Yuno's unfortunately, and she is the only reason I watch the show. It is to monotonous, Yuno is characterised by rapid emotional changes and yet her voice in the dub does not change. I agree that some of the abridged scenes on youtube have a much better vocal match/range.

Hopefully she will get better has the series progresses.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
casting a role that Norio Wakamoto played must be difficult.

If money grew on trees I'd give Christopher Lee the roles.

But yeah, that Wakamoto voice that can be commanding, wise, patronizing... and the way he drags the last word of some sentences would be extremely hard to make sound good in english. You'd pretty much have to do something else. I'd check to see if there's a trend in who usually replaces him in english dubs but meh, too much work for me right now LOL.

That Youtube video Gatherum posted sounded pretty good though. I'd show that to dub-only friends.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
The one disadvantage of a dub is that it'll constantly be compared to the original. The dub voice for Deus is good. Even if the sub was... great. Let's just think of it as two actors portraying them differently rather than one being better than the other.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
that's what I do all the time, but sometimes that's difficult, especially with a guy like Wakamoto.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
that's what I do all the time, but sometimes that's difficult, especially with a guy like Wakamoto.

True. Subbed Deus is better (duh) but give the dub some credit. The voice suits him. If you read the manga then watched the dub, this is a suitable voice for Deus.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
No problem there, Kent Williams is one of my favorite English VA's
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Same here. He's doing a great job with Deus even if Wakamoto is a god among seiyuu. Still, the other voices I heard so far, I prefer dubbed.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Just read Paradox and it made me think about how the series should have been. Any hope of the spinoffs or sequels getting their own anime?
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Now that the entire series has been dubbed and released, I can say without a doubt that Brina Palencia IS Yuno. Her voice is far more chilling when she's gone crazy, yet adorable when she's acting innocent without sounding too childish. Any thoughts on the dub voices now or am I the only one who finished the dub?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16