• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Now that the entire series has been dubbed and released, I can say without a doubt that Brina Palencia IS Yuno. Her voice is far more chilling when she's gone crazy, yet adorable when she's acting innocent without sounding too childish. Any thoughts on the dub voices now or am I the only one who finished the dub?

I keep meaning to watch the rest, but World of Tanks and Fairy Tail keep getting in the way. luckily i've got about 7 more episodes to go before i'm caught up with everything Funi has, then I'll start FD up again.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Now that the entire series has been dubbed and released, I can say without a doubt that Brina Palencia IS Yuno. Her voice is far more chilling when she's gone crazy, yet adorable when she's acting innocent without sounding too childish. Any thoughts on the dub voices now or am I the only one who finished the dub?

I keep meaning to watch the rest, but World of Tanks and Fairy Tail keep getting in the way. luckily i've got about 7 more episodes to go before i'm caught up with everything Funi has, then I'll start FD up again.

Can't wait to hear others' thoughts on the dubbing.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I've just finished watching the series. It was so addictive I finished it three days Very Happy. I've got a question, many people have probably already asked, but here it goes. What are the most common interpretations about the ending, spoiler[specifically the moment in which we hear Yuno again. Another thing is, why did she actually kill herself? The other world was already done for anyways, so they could've just stayed together in the third world, and left the younger yuno and yukki alone.]

On a different note, conserning Minene. spoiler[Is the Minene we see with children in the third world, the one from the second world? Does that mean she's the only one in that world who really knows what happend?]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
the recent OVA answers your question about the ending
Pacal II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot! The OVA really did answer all my questions. I also prefered it much more to the "hammer ending" in the manga. Even though they both end with the same conclusion, thanks to the explanations it didn't just seem like a huge ass-pull. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the ending now, which I'm quite glad about, because it's something you don't meet that often in animes.

I've also read the redial manga. The story differs a bit from the manga, but they don't really contradict each other. Overall a fun-read.

It's still kind of sad however that spoiler[the original Yuno, Yukki's friends, parents and basically everyone he knew (except for Minene) are all dead. After all the Yuno he meets is not the same one, with who'm he shared all those moments. Of course the new Yuno has all her memories, but she's still not the same person.]
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
So, I saw Future Diary not too long ago. I liked it. I thought it was fun. But did I think it was good?

HELL NO.

In fact, it felt really amateurish and rough-drafty now that I think about it. It seems that Future Diary was the otaku that saw Death Note and said to himself "I can write that, but even BETTAH!" and was way off the mark. It's the try-hardiest thing I've ever seen. It WANTS to be special. It WANTS to be good. But it fails in terms of story and characters in so many ways. I shall talk about the main problems instead of boring you with every single nitpick.

The story and narrative structure is filled with plot holes you could drive a truck through. For example, how could Twelfth- a man who was blind and insane- be able to not only carry Minene to a cabin in the middle of nowhere, but also replace her phone AND imprison her nearby the Omekata shrine? spoiler['Cause their security sucks!] More egregiously why didn't Deus ex Machina just tell the Diary users that spoiler[he was dying in the first place? That would have been nice information to motivate them to kill each other! Then again, maybe he took the Kyubey approach and decided not to tell them because they didn't ask.] Not to mention that there is much evidence that the plot was made up as the writer went along.

The characters are essentially one-note stereotypes. Sure, many of were unique types of opponents. (A five-year old with the intelligence of someone thrice his age? That could have been interesting if it were, I don't know, EXPLAINED BETTER?) Unfortunately, most of the cast don't have much personality beyond their gimmick. The only rounded out characters I can think of were Minene Uryuu and Yuno Gasai. (In case you're wondering Minene was the only character I really liked.)

Now, let's talk about the main leads, and why they don't work.

Yukiteru Amano is supposed to be an audience surrogate. He asks questions like we would and acts like we would. The problem is that 1) We are never given a reason to root for Yukiteru or want him to survive, and 2) he doesn't have a motivation for winning the game. He is terribly inactive, with the exception being that he actively chooses to do NOTHING. The only times he actively does something is when Yuno is in danger and spoiler[when his parents die.] If they did the latter at the beginning of the story, THEN Yukiteru would have a motivation AND we would have a reason to want him to win.

Then there's Yuno Gasai. She is what I like to call a "Gimmick Character". That's basically when the entire draw of a series is based around one or two characters. To me, Yuno had the potential to be psychologically interesting. Think about it; this is a person who willingly devotes herself to one person due to cope with the pain of being an abuse victim. She was very much an empty shell until Yuki came into her life. The only reason she bothered to live was because of one little interaction. If it had been anybody else, Yuno would have clung to them just as tightly.

That sounds much more interesting than what we got. And do you know why it didn't work? Yuno Gasai is ultimately portrayed as a victim, rather than the villain she should be. Yep, you heard that right. The creator Draco in Leather Pantsed his OWN VILLAIN. A good chunk of her crazy moments are downplayed by Yukiteru. (Especially in most of Episodes 3 and 10.) The narrative seems more interested in showing Yuno as a cute-and-psycho waifu for Yandere fans rather than as a broken, insane young woman who needs serious help. That is the biggest problem of Future Diary, bar none.

And yet...I like this garbage. Heck, I'd watch it again! It's ridiculous and over-the-top, but I find it entertaining! That's right! I love it. I have to press the "Guilty Pleasure" button for this one. I'm so sorry. Sad

[/spoiler][/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16