• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Companies May Join Odex's Case in Singapore

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
To those of you who don't find it shocking that the Japanese anime industry is siding with Odex in this fight... Said industry had been doing nothing for a good 6 YEARS.

On the plus side: Singaporians will never buy an Odex-labled product ever again.

On the negative side: It would mean the beginning of "no more free anime for anybody anymore" as we speak. The road might be long and hard, and enemies will be made.

But you must understand that when someone's supposed to get paid for one's work, and the money's not coming; it's only natural to fight back.

spoiler[I can see it now: More lame pro-moe anime. More moe-Gundam... Sad ]
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
Does the Japanese company realize what Odex is doing to their properties?

Or do they just not care?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression there's some legal constriction on the importation of goods like DVDs a Singapore company is the license holder of? I mean not like when HKflix can't sell you the Mei-Ah of something Sony holds the right's to because its an American company, but the import of that product PERIOD is subject to confiscation or something? That sounds just draconian to me, I really hope I'm wrong about that, but I seem to recall hearing that on an AWO podcast or somewhere. I'd have to call the Singapore govt. on unjustifiably limiting its people's options. If your products suck you should go the way of the dodo.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But if Odex stops all fansub downloading in Singapore, where are they going to get their subtitles for series like Haruhi?

Well, it won't stop the fansubs from existing and Odex is free to download them as much as they want as they don't have to sue themselves. It's not like they can sue every single fansub watcher anyway.
saorren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
fun show to watch. lets see how companies try to kill leecher bugs n how these bugs develop even better ways to leech.
calawain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But if Odex stops all fansub downloading in Singapore, where are they going to get their subtitles for series like Haruhi?

Zing!
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even if the Japanese companies join on board, they still cannot get the information because the copyright holders are not from Singapore and thus have zero claim to personal information about Singapore's own citizens.

As far as I'm aware, the Berne Convention allows for foreign copyright piracy to be treated the same as domestic copyright piracy. This is probably how the companies would get the information. If the law states that they can't get the information, they obviously won't try and get it.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
Personally I just wish that a US company would get together with some Japanese anime companies and some of the fansubbing groups and make a TV station here in the US that subs anime as it's released in Japan. They could simply just run their own advertising for US citizens over here, and give a % cut to the Japanese anime companies, it wouldn't be much different that running it in Japan except for the overhead of paying subbers. But they would have the benifit of developing a larger fanbase for their product.

I mean, all US shows are sold on DVD, and they make tons of money from it, so it's not like showing it on TV here in the states would destroy the US anime DVD market. If anything it would grow it and they would end up widening their fanbase to people that might not have watched anime otherwise, plus people might still want to watch it dubbed.

Honestly if a US company were to do that, they could make a ton of money, for themselves and the Japanese studios, and grow the anime industry over here as well. Personally I think the straight to DVD anime system here in the US is retarded because it's so cost prohibitive for many people. If people were able to get a TV station that shows the stuff as it comes out, and watch a few episodes to be sure they would like it, they would be more willing to shell out the cash to buy it on DVD. I mean, there are already anime channels here in the US, but they only show older stuff mainly, and dubbed.

For me, as long as it takes 1-2+ years for stuff to come out here in the states, and there are shows I want to see right now in Japan, I will continue to watch fansubs. Not going to get into the argument of the merits of subs vs. dubs, as that's really pointless at this point. But I simply don't want to wait years to get stuff I want to watch, if it comes out here at all due to much anime I want to watch not getting licensed. It's pretty simple for me, give me a legal source for newly released anime, subbed or dubbed I don't care, and I will gladly take advantage. Money isn't an issue, as I have plenty to spare, for me it's simply diversity and timelyness that forces me to watch fansubs.

Fansubbing and downloading will survive and flourish no matter how many suits they try to bring, they only way to combat it is to give us an alternative, period. Hell I'd pay $50-100 bucks a month for an additional channel if it had newly released subbed anime on it. To me this is just like napster and what happened with the music industry. People wanted downloadable music, so they downloaded it illegally, once they started cracking down on it, AND OFFERED COST CONSCIOUS ALTERNATIVES, suddenly illegal music downloading had a HUGE decrease. Wish the anime industry would use that as an example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
child of Lilith wrote:
Odex will probably go back to making their own worthless subs, after all with no fan subs available people will have no choice but to buy Odex’s inferior product.

Or maybe they'll recruit some of the fansubbers for their translations.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Now, I'm not going to complain about yet another fansub debate, since then I'll just fulfill a reserved role in the plot anyway, but does anyone else find it interesting that it's the same stooges who are repeating the same sentiments over and over and over again? No offense to anyone, but you know who you are, and I find you annoying as hell.

Guru Guru Guru Guru...

More relevant: Doesn't the link say "According to Odex's lawyer..."? I mean, I'm sure lawyers are smart and trustworthy and all, but Odex... they haven't exactly displayed the highest intelligence or wisdom in handling the whole stage play.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Really Japan? You want to get on board with that sinking ship?

It is a start.Japan and it's other major markets need to start getting on board to stop pirating.It is taking to big of chunk out it's business not to get on board would mean more severe downturn in business.
Yes if odex is that bad the orginial company holding the rights to the product should see that when it's product is released outside of it's borders(anime from japan being released in another country as an example) it is of a decent quality.Not just a shody release.They should improve the quality.

Yeah, I suppose it would be tough for them to claim to be trying to stop piracy but then turn around and refuse to help Odex. My concern is that I disagree with Odex' methods and also, they have proven to be completely incompetent in both their anti-piracy efforts as well as their actual business. If japan is going on an anti-piracy campaign, they will want to do so while minimizing the number of fans they piss off. Odex' antics have managed to piss off nearly everyone. It even extended to people who buy. I hate to see that become the poster boy so to speak for Japan's big crackdown on piracy.

Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Now, I'm not going to complain about yet another fansub debate, since then I'll just fulfill a reserved role in the plot anyway, but does anyone else find it interesting that it's the same stooges who are repeating the same sentiments over and over and over again? No offense to anyone, but you know who you are, and I find you annoying as hell.

What are you talking about? As of yet this topic seems to have very much avoided the same old debate. Also, I see very few of the fansub debate regulars here.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken that is why i said they(the original company who owns the rights to a product) should try to make sure when their product is released else where it is of at least a decent quality.I personally have yet to even see odex's material and compare it to anything else.So i can not make any assumption on odex's products.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
stuff

A couple points here.

First, We already have several anime TV stations - both ADV and Funimation have them, I believe. However, they aren't exactly what I would describe as widely available. I would watch them if I got them, but I don't, and I'm betting many other people don't either. And even if you did, you'd probably have to pay the $150 a month cable or whatever to get it. That's asking a lot for people who won't even bother to put $20 on a DVD for anime.

Second, starting a TV network is extremely expensive and, considering point 1, probably not all that cost effective. It would be far less expensive, and more flexible for today's internet user, to create a website that offers streaming version of subtitled anime soon after (or at the same time as) they air in Japan for monthly subscription or something like that.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
ikillchicken that is why i said they(the original company who owns the rights to a product) should try to make sure when their product is released else where it is of at least a decent quality.I personally have yet to even see odex's material and compare it to anything else.So i can not make any assumption on odex's products.

Now, note that this is at least 2nd hand (meaning that I'm relating what I've read someone else write, and I'm not sure where they got THEIR information), but from what I saw, the Japanese companies appear to require that ODEX release inferior quality products because of Singapore's proximity to Japan, and fear that the Japanese would just re-import cheaper Singapore imports than buy the Japanese originals.

I'm not sure if this is true, but it makes sense on at a level. Of course, this has the side effect of making people in Singapore mad that they're getting screwed too.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
This isn't even an issue yet, Some smart arse lawyer says something and everyone loses thier crap over it.

At this point, it doesn't even matter if Odex is right in the matter (By this point, I don't care.) but the absolute crapstorm that they've whiped up over this whole debarticle will do them in.
I can not see people going to them after all this nonsence, questionable quality of thier productions aside.

The only way Odex can save themselves is to dissaper and reaper as another company. Otherwise it's Genon town for them.

Rule 1 of fight club, if you must dick your customers, don't cause it to spin out of controll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3