• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation does not have One Piece License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:35 am Reply with quote
Wolf Tooth wrote:
HA! This is all funny! Well, just as long as the licence gose to 4kids or what's-it's-name (it has a blue mammle, it's the one that buchered the CCS series I think).

Nelvana.

Or DiC, who seam to currently be butchering Saint Seiya.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:03 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
This is becoming the next "when will new Inu-Yasha episodes be out?" type topic on ANN, isn't it? Neutral

That, and "When will 'Naruto' be licensed?"

Don't forget X season 2 Smile
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:16 am Reply with quote
KURIous wrote:

Hmmm...I never heard that one before. Shocked

Wolf Tooth wrote:
HA! This is all funny! Well, just as long as the licence gose to 4kids or what's-it's-name (it has a blue mammle, it's the one that buchered the CCS series I think).

I hope you mean as long as the licence doesn't go to 4kids or Nelvana. Evil or Very Mad
Poof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:26 am Reply with quote
Okay... Random guess...

Viz had One Piece and Richard Cox is doing a char in it. With an 'annoying' voice.

Just a random. heh. Thoughts?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:36 am Reply with quote
RadicalBender wrote:
Ah, yes. The internet's most trusted anime news source strikes again.

Hi Patrick Smile
Mega Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:49 am Reply with quote
This confuses me...back at Ohayocon 2003 Stephany Nadolyne who plays young Goku and young Trunks, told me personally (not in a panel ) that they were doing casting for the series already.
Wolf Tooth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:57 am Reply with quote
Wolf Tooth wrote:

I hope you mean as long as the licence doesn't go to 4kids or Nelvana. Evil or Very Mad[/quote]
Opse! Thanks for pointing that out, arxane. I'll fix it right away! Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:00 am Reply with quote
A few more items that need to be recognized in this

1) As I mentionned in the other thread,FUNimation made a pilot dub for this series. I think this was before AXNY therefore where rumours about them licensing it first started. One of their VA's mentionned that he was in the dub without mentionning that it was a pilot dub or any such thing... At the time we we're told by FUNimation that this pilot dub was to show the Japanese licensors so that they could see how the show would be treated by FUNimation. Chris Beveridge of AoD was nice enough to send me some details that show that FUNi was also (or perhaps only) showing the dub to Cartoon Network. The statements about a demo dub for Cartoon Network however came after AXNY.

2) Chris also showed me something from earlier this year, something ANN failed to pick up on. It turns out that FUNimation tried to register a trademark on "ONE PIECE" and that this was abandonned in July of this year. (FYI they also tried to Trademark Lupin in 2001)

3) AoD's Mariela Ortiz was at that panel, and she insists that FUNimation did not merely mention One Piece but rather that they stated they owned it. Mariela generally has a good memory for these things.

Whatever the case, fact is, the official word right now is that FUNimation does not own One Piece. But it may be the case that FUNi themselves suggested or outright stated that they did own it.
UberTai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
UberTai wrote:
Wow, that's a big oops. LoL I'm kind of glad that FUNimation didn't get it though.

Why not? They would of been perfect for this series.

I'm not sure. I would just prefer seeing Bandai doing this one. But I'm just a n00b, what do I know? =P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:26 pm Reply with quote
KURIous wrote:
arxane wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
This is becoming the next "when will new Inu-Yasha episodes be out?" type topic on ANN, isn't it? Neutral

That, and "When will 'Naruto' be licensed?"

Never heard that one (how would that even work?). Are you sure you don't mean Hellsing season 2? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Poof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nagisa"]
KURIous wrote:
Never heard that one (how would that even work?). Are you sure you don't mean Hellsing season 2? Laughing

Actually, the cool thing about Hellsing Season 2 is that Pioneer is trying to get it to happen. At least according to their rep at the 2003 LVCC.

^^

Last edited by Poof on Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Bandai, here's a little snippet from a recent chat with Jerry Chu of Bandai:

<Jekichu> Bout time they said somthing about that, now people can stop asking me everyday if I know whats going on. Only bad thing is that people are going to beg me to get Bandai to license One Piece. Laf
<slaser-x> now bandai can get One Piece!!! woot!
<Jekichu> Oh crap! Its starting!
Poof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:23 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Speaking of Bandai, here's a little snippet from a recent chat with Jerry Chu of Bandai:

<Jekichu> Bout time they said somthing about that, now people can stop asking me everyday if I know whats going on. Only bad thing is that people are going to beg me to get Bandai to license One Piece. Laf
<slaser-x> now bandai can get One Piece!!! woot!
<Jekichu> Oh crap! Its starting!

Recent = tonight? Or was that from last night? (I missed a lot as I kept losing inet yesterday. lol)
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I think it was last night or a little before then...I wasn't at the chat. I got the quote from someone else who was there.

Still, it's pretty amusing, eh?
okendri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Classic. Too bad I missed being there in person.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3