• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Again Shut Out of Annie Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
As they say -- business is business. To have an industry evaluate itself with a panel consisting primarily of itself -- obviously they're going to pick amongst their own. Not like the judging of animation here is independent.
invisiblewok

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
looking deeper into it, one could assume they are simply looking for animation that is for children. A quick look at best animated video game and anyone would know there are far better games out there... that are made by American companies. The first thing that comes to mind would be Team Fortress2 by valve. It looks like a real time animated feature, with guns. It would seem however that is a no no to them, the idea of animation being a medium for anyone other than a child that is. Which may have to do with a lack of anime showing up on their nominations list. In this country you watch cartoons until you are like 12, then you move on to other things, right? A lot of the best anime in recent years haven't exactly been aimed at kids. Ghost in the shell comes to mind. Not for kids, has guns and is not funny, i.e. 3 strikes.
perpetual159

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
The Cat Returns was actually originally supposed to be a short promotional film for a theme park. For reasons I don't recall, Ghibli decided to turn it into a fully fledged movie but Miyazaki's involvement was fairly minimal, to say the least, and I don't think it supports your argument very well.

I'd certainly agree that there are recurring themes in Miyazaki's films in particular and in Ghibli films in general. I think what's upsetting people is that you seemed to be saying that "recurring themes" = "all the same" which is obviously erroneous.

What people do take exception to, however, is somebody making brash statements about a subject they obviously don't know too much about. They don't necessarily expect you to agree with them but they do expect you to know what films a famous director directed before you attempt to summarise his career...

For the record, Miyazaki was Executive Producer and created the Project Concept for The Cat Returns. Now... as for exactly how involved he was in his role of Executive Producer is not known to me. But the fact remains that his name is on the film's credits.

Now, what seems to me is that if someone points out something about a film(s) that doesn't necessarily work in their favor, people start throwing fits about it. And that's where the partiality issue comes in. People who don't take the time to look at something from an impartial perspective can't possibly fairly defend or condemn a film's integrity.

Now, if you want to nitpick about my choice of words, then jeez... what's the point? "recurring"... as far as I know, it's something that occurs or appears again or repeatedly. (Look it up in the dictionary, if you like Smile )"Again".... "repeatedly"... hmm... I rest my case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
perpetual159 wrote:
For the record, Miyazaki was Executive Producer.

Yes. Which, in this instance, means he mentored first time director Hiroyuki Morita through the process and kept an eye on the budget. It does not in any way suggest that Miyazaki was the project's guiding hand.

Quote:
and created the Project Concept for The Cat Returns.

You're saying the words (or, rather, repeating HMMcKamikaze's words as if they were your own), but you don't know what they mean. Yes, it was his "project concept" - but only in that the two main cat characters in The Cat Returns (Muto and the Baron) were based on characters from Miyazaki's earlier film, Whisper Of The Heart in which one of them was a statue and the other was just a regular (non-speaking) cat. That's all that credit means.

Ghibli were asked to make a short about cats for an amusement park. They chose to use as characters two cats that had appeared in a previous Ghibli movie. The short was subsequently dropped and then re-launched as a feature length film.
Miyazaki didn't having anything to do with developing the plot for The Cat Returns - that would be Aoi Hiiragi who also wrote the accompanying manga. Nor did Miyazaki write the screenplay - that would be Reiko Yoshida.

Quote:
Now... as for exactly how involved he was in his role of Executive Producer is not known to me. But the fact remains that his name is on the film's credits.

Right, you admit that you don't know but you're going to base your argument on it anyway rather than accept you made an error. That's just obtuse. And hundreds of people's names appear in the film's credits - very few of them had any creative control over anything.

Quote:
Now, what seems to me is that if someone points out something about a film(s) that doesn't necessarily work in their favor, people start throwing fits about it.

People may well disagree with you - particularly if you appear to be basing your argument on supposition rather than knowledge. Where's the problem with that?

Quote:
And that's where the partiality issue comes in. People who don't take the time to look at something from an impartial perspective can't possibly fairly defend or condemn a film's integrity.

Any discussion on the merits of art (in any medium) is partial. Because artistic value is subjective. And you can hardly set yourself up as being the cool-headed, logical party in this debate when you evidently have a pretty limited grasp of the subject.

Quote:
Now, if you want to nitpick about my choice of words, then jeez... what's the point? "recurring"... as far as I know, it's something that occurs or appears again or repeatedly. (Look it up in the dictionary, if you like Smile )"Again".... "repeatedly"... hmm... I rest my case.

I am well aware of the meaning of the word "recurring" (I strongly suspect that my vocabulary is rather wider than yours...). The point I made - the one you are attempting to evade - is that a recurring motif does not equate to intellectual or artistic redundancy.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Uh,I just don't get the point of the Annie. The Oscars already gives out awards for American Animation right. So,If the Annies aren't going consistenly give nominations to anime or other animation that don't hail from the US. Then what is the point of it's existence.
perpetual159

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
You're saying the words (or, rather, repeating HMMcKamikaze's words as if they were your own), but you don't know what they mean. Yes, it was his "project concept" - but only in that the two main cat characters in The Cat Returns (Muto and the Baron) were based on characters from Miyazaki's earlier film, Whisper Of The Heart in which one of them was a statue and the other was just a regular (non-speaking) cat. That's all that credit means.

It may sound like I may be repeating Kamikaze's words, as you like to say, and in essence, I am saying the same thing, but I also happened to look at Hayao Miyazaki's career history and that is what it said--thus I'm not only repeating what I heard. Additionally, I added another detail which had not been mentioned until now.

Quote:
Ghibli were asked to make a short about cats for an amusement park. They chose to use as characters two cats that had appeared in a previous Ghibli movie. The short was subsequently dropped and then re-launched as a feature length film.
Miyazaki didn't having anything to do with developing the plot for The Cat Returns - that would be Aoi Hiiragi who also wrote the accompanying manga. Nor did Miyazaki write the screenplay - that would be Reiko Yoshida.

The fact remains that he is the founder Ghibli Studios along with Takahata and Suzuki. Ghibli Studios is not exactly a Dysney-sized company, where projects easily come and go; Miyazaki has been known to be intimately involved with many Ghibli projects.

Quote:
Right, you admit that you don't know but you're going to base your argument on it anyway rather than accept you made an error. That's just obtuse. And hundreds of people's names appear in the film's credits - very few of them had any creative control over anything.

Right, I didn't know much of the subject at hand, I knew a few facts, and that's what I made a point of. Yes, people's names appear in films left and right, even if they did absolutely nothing. But in this case, you're wrong. Yes, The Cat Returns began as a project given to Ghibli by a Japanese theme park; it was supposed to be a 20-minutes long feature starring cats. Miyazaki wanted three key things to feature in the short-these were the Baron, Muta and a mysterious antique shop (now, if that isn't involvement, then I wonder what is?). (These things were shown in the film Whisper of the Heart, but I'm sure you already know that, since you love to ride on that high horse of yours).

Anyway... The theme park dropped the project. Miyazaki took this project and used it as testing grounds for future Ghibli directors, and the short feature was then expected to be 45 minutes long. Eventually, The Cat Returns fell under the direction of Hiroyuki Morita where it ended up becoming a full length feature.

Quote:
Any discussion on the merits of art (in any medium) is partial. Because artistic value is subjective. And you can hardly set yourself up as being the cool-headed, logical party in this debate when you evidently have a pretty limited grasp of the subject.

Yes, artistic value is subjective, but there are certain aspects in the art from any given artist which are used more than once, thus becoming obvious, as is very much the case with Ghibli films. I simply made an observation of how many Ghibli films follow the same pattern when themes are concerned. What I have been saying all along--and I'll say it again, since people still don't seem to get it--is that certain themes are repeated in many of his films, such as aviation, the female heroine with strong will, and environmental issues.

Quote:
I am well aware of the meaning of the word "recurring" (I strongly suspect that my vocabulary is rather wider than yours...). The point I made - the one you are attempting to evade - is that a recurring motif does not equate to intellectual or artistic redundancy.

I never said that it was redundant... perhaps your "subjectivity" is taking you a little bit too far. Simply because something is repeated, it does not mean it's a bad thing. I have been saying that ALL along. You can check all the previous post I've made about this topic, and notice that if not in all of them, in most of them I've clearly expressed my liking and enjoyment for Ghibli films. I am not belittling their work, nor have I ever said that it was redundant (that words simply gives a negative conotation). It would be nice to see Ghibli Studios making films under different themes, but if they limit themselves to the usual themes for which they have become known for, and/or because that is simply their style, and/or because those themes are what matters to them, then so be it. I won't condemn them for it. I will simply continue watching their films. Even if I've made this observation, I will still watch their films with "redundant" themes, as you concluded was my standing on this topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
perpetual159 wrote:
I never said that it was redundant... perhaps your "subjectivity" is taking you a little bit too far. Simply because something is repeated, it does not mean it's a bad thing. I have been saying that ALL along. You can check all the previous post I've made about this topic, and notice that if not in all of them, in most of them I've clearly expressed my liking and enjoyment for Ghibli films. I am not belittling their work, nor have I ever said that it was redundant (that words simply gives a negative conotation). It would be nice to see Ghibli Studios making films under different themes, but if they limit themselves to the usual themes for which they have become known for, and/or because that is simply their style, and/or because those themes are what matters to them, then so be it. I won't condemn them for it. I will simply continue watching their films. Even if I've made this observation, I will still watch their films with "redundant" themes, as you concluded was my standing on this topic.

I think this is why everyone is getting on to you about this: It's that, while you say you enjoy Ghibli and Miyazaki films, your diction suggests that you dislike these "recurring" themes. I'm sure we are all familiar with the similar themes found in Miyazaki's works. (I wrote an essay on him and gave an entire section to this fact.) However, artistically, themes are considered a GOOD thing. It helps create a sense of style and familiarity. It's the same as how all the 90s Disney films were all musical fantasy fables. But essentially saying that Miyazaki and Ghibli should change their themes would be like telling Salvador Dali to stop painting melting objects. Or Picasso to stop painting in cubist style. Or Ayn Rand to stop writing about individualism and false utopias. ETC. My point is that artists (which directors are) create their own individual styles/themes, and work based on these styles. If you take away these themes, then you take away the artist's core, and thus lose the art itself.

And while you didn't say that they were redundant, you did say that they lacked creativity and originality. Perhaps compared to one or two of his other works, yes. But compared to the rest of the artistic world, they are unique and original. Comparing an artist to themselves is an entirely different story than comparing an artist to ART.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Uh,I just don't get the point of the Annie. The Oscars already gives out awards for American Animation right. So,If the Annies aren't going consistenly give nominations to anime or other animation that don't hail from the US. Then what is the point of it's existence.

Err... I'm pretty sure that the point is "recognizing the year’s best animation across film, television, commercials, video games and short subjects", where submission eligibility is for "productions that first publicly aired, or were exhibited in an animation festival or were commercially released in the United States" in the relevent calendar year. When consideration for nomination is going to depend entirely upon submitting an entry with the cooperation of a producer of the feature (you can read the rules yourself), you can't blame the Annie's for producers failing to even try to compete.

Of the 25 Annie award categories (7 production, 18 individual achievement), the ones that overlap with the Academy Awards are: "Best Animated Feature" (= Best Animated Feature), "Best Animated Short Subject" (= Best Animated Short Film) and "Music in an Animated Feature Production" (= Best Original Score and/or Best Original Song). That's a match-up of only 3 of 25 Annie categories to 3 or 4 of 25 for the Oscars. The other Academy Award categories where animated features *may* compete are Best Picture (ref. Beauty and the Beast) and Best Foreign Film (ref. Persepolis), but neither are particularly relevent to the Annies.

As far as anime and the Annie's goes, the only companies that have bothered in the past have been SPE Visual (via Sony) for "Blood: The Last Vampire", Go Fish for "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence" and "Millenium Actress", and Disney/Ghibli for "Spirited Away" and "Howl's Moving Castle". It just doesn't look like anyone else is even trying. Blaming this on racism or xenophobia is just silly. Foreign films can and *do* make the nomination process, (this year "Persepolis" = France, and the creator of "The Chestnut Tree" is a Korean girl).

Of American anime licensors, in this year alone ADV has 5CM per Second, Viz has the Naruto movie, Funimation has Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa and a couple others, all screened commercially or in festivals in the US in 2007. All presumably eligible for submission for nomination for Best Animated Feature. Girl Who Runs Through Time would qualify too, but that would require its Japanese producer caring to participate. I'm not saying anything about the relative merits of these features, but I'm pretty sure that if Go Fish can swing a nomination for "Innocence" then ADV could take a run with 5CM. Anime licensors and studios shouldn't be considered 'shut out' if they don't even try.

And it looks like they don't try. None of those companies has ever even gotten a release nominated for "Best Animated Home Entertainment Production", which is the core of their business. Considering that the competition in that category this year is "Doctor Strange" and Futurama “Bender’s Big Score” (that's it - just two nominations). how many anime DVD releases of 2007 should be able to crush those two?

If the companies in the anime business don't care to try to compete for Annies then it doesn't seem like there should be much to complain about when they don't get nominated.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
perpetual159 wrote:
It may sound like I may be repeating Kamikaze's words, as you like to say, and in essence, I am saying the same thing, but I also happened to look at Hayao Miyazaki's career history and that is what it said--thus I'm not only repeating what I heard.

Congratulations. Next time, get a clue before you start an argument.

Quote:
Additionally, I added another detail which had not been mentioned until now.

Did it add anything to the discussion?

Quote:
The fact remains that he is the founder Ghibli Studios along with Takahata and Suzuki. Ghibli Studios is not exactly a Dysney-sized company, where projects easily come and go; Miyazaki has been known to be intimately involved with many Ghibli projects.

None of which suggests that he was the creative force behind The Cat Returns (or Pom Poko, or Grave Of The Fireflies - all of which you have erroneously credited him as the director of). Give it up already.

Quote:
But in this case, you're wrong. Yes, The Cat Returns began as a project given to Ghibli by a Japanese theme park; it was supposed to be a 20-minutes long feature starring cats. Miyazaki wanted three key things to feature in the short-these were the Baron, Muta and a mysterious antique shop (now, if that isn't involvement, then I wonder what is?). (These things were shown in the film Whisper of the Heart, but I'm sure you already know that, since you love to ride on that high horse of yours).

Oh, good Lord. Why are you parroting back to me what, in essence, are the same things I've already said? I already know this stuff, remember? And how does adding some superfluous detail that in no way contradicts what I've said make me "wrong"?

How does the inclusion of the aforementioned characters / locale fit into your critique? It doesn't. Nobody said he wasn't "involved" in any way - at least two people (including myself) have explicitly stated that he was involved in a minor capacity - just that he wasn't a person responsible in any meaningful sense for creating the film.

Quote:
Yes, artistic value is subjective, but there are certain aspects in the art from any given artist which are used more than once, thus becoming obvious, as is very much the case with Ghibli films.

You don't say. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I simply made an observation of how many Ghibli films follow the same pattern when themes are concerned. What I have been saying all along--and I'll say it again, since people still don't seem to get it--is that certain themes are repeated in many of his films, such as aviation, the female heroine with strong will, and environmental issues.

Nobody has argued with you regarding there being recurring themes. Nobody. At all. Not once. Not ever. We all agree with you about that. We just don't all agree that it's necessarily a bad thing anymore than we think Satoshi Kon continuing to re-visit the blurred border between delusion and reality is a bad thing.

Quote:
I never said that it was redundant... perhaps your "subjectivity" is taking you a little bit too far. Simply because something is repeated, it does not mean it's a bad thing. I have been saying that ALL along. You can check all the previous post I've made about this topic

You have consistantly used language suggesting that you think recurring themes are a bad thing, that they're limiting and that if you've seen one you've ("for the most part") seen them all. Re-read your first post in which you agree with some random idiot on exactly that point if you need verification.
And every time you post to say you've done no such thing, you do it again.

If what you wrote was not what you meant, you need to polish your writing skills - you're arguing yourself in circles.
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
Oh, boy...and I was expecting Five Centimeters per Second to win an award.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5