• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who Answers The Answerman?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Since it's clear you're into Watchmen, what do you think of the prospects of Snyder doing a decent job on it?

As for the worst manga I've read, I'd say it's a toss-up between Kaze Hikaru and Haruka. My feeling is that, while anime's suffering due to moe, there's a lot more opportunities for different art styles and approaches than there might have been during the genre's heyday.
TWXM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Generally when someone busts out the "all OEL manga sucks!" argument in a discussion, they're shouted down by a bunch of people who disagree.

Are you sure about that?

All OEL manga sucks!

(well actually it might not, I haven't read enough of it to say)
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Since it's clear you're into Watchmen, what do you think of the prospects of Snyder doing a decent job on it?

As for the worst manga I've read, I'd say it's a toss-up between Kaze Hikaru and Haruka. My feeling is that, while anime's suffering due to moe, there's a lot more opportunities for different art styles and approaches than there might have been during the genre's heyday.

I wasn't fond of Kaze Hikaru either. I wouldn't call it the very worst I've ever read (that spot is reserved for the FLCL manga), but for some reason I just found it confusing with the multiple names people had, the plot seemed to lose steam quickly, and the art was just not my taste.

As for OEL manga...I've read quite a few titles since my library has gotten a lot of them...Sorcerers and Secretaries, Dramacon, Biezenghast...The one I've hated most so far is Sorcerers and Secretaries. I don't feel bad for the main character at all. I think she's just an unsocial, whiney, rude b-word. The only OEL I've really felt the need to continue with is Dramacon.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Eh, I find there are as many Eva fanboys orgasming at Asuka's every move as ever. I remember the Adult Swim boards were pretty rife with them when they picked the show up a couple years ago.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
I never saw that side to Eva...obsessing over the female characters, I mean. I actually flipped everytime Penpen was on screen. That thing was completely underutilized. Here's hoping its role is embellished in the remake(s).

Speaking of which, whats the deal with that live action Eva movie? Have recent events pushed it even farther away, or are they just looking for money?
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I never saw that side to Eva...obsessing over the female characters, I mean. I actually flipped everytime Penpen was on screen. That thing was completely underutilized. Here's hoping its role is embellished in the remake(s).

Speaking of which, whats the deal with that live action Eva movie? Have recent events pushed it even farther away, or are they just looking for money?

I'm happy for you if you've never seen that kind of Eva fan. It's something one should endeavor to avoid.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
That flake really needs to take some Japanese lessons.
rekishi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
well, i can explain where one of those rabid eva fanboys who defend it to no end disapeared to...

he grew up... discovered and anime series that actually has metephorical paralels to his life and some his more tragic memories (i'll spare you the guessing game, it's Haibane Renmei. anyone who has delt with suicide in their family, may understand why...) and moved on...

eva was a good ride, but ultimatley i think i grew out of it... i'll be getting the new eva movies if they ever see region 1 or 4 release... but i'm not going to lose sleep with anticipation...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
I got to the EVA party a few years too late. I enjoyed it, just not the days afterwords trying to piece my mind together. That wasn't fun.

OEL manga. Hm. I really can't think of too many. The only one I semi enjoyed was MBQ which no one really seems to talk about. Its not on Borders shelves and I only can get it when I go to cons. I wish it was more popular because the art/story is pretty good.

Also theres Megatokyo but i've heard its not OEL but something esle altogether.

As for Gundam...none of the other series really jumped out at me like Wing. Not sure why. I've kind of wanted to go back and watch some of the older series.
The newest Gundam show is kind of getting to me in a good way.

As for the last question- I feel anime has gotten better production wise. The fights are more fluid now, and the colors are brighter. But the stories are falling apart. it seems almost like a been there done that on each story, and things are becoming more and more easy to predict.

It's just sad. Is there no creativty left in Japan?

Good Job as always Zac.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Doc Tater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
That flake really needs to take some Japanese lessons.

I think furakku-san (amidoinitrite?) was just trolling.

AND THE WORLD WAS AT PEACE.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
Rather than write thousands of words on the subject now: the relative failure of Gundam as a franchise in the US is largely due to the fact that Bandai somehow expected Gundam to become a phenomenon in the US virtually overnight rather than be slowly built up over several years the way it was in Japan. Key to Gundam's success was its merchandising sales, particularly model kits. While there was a seemingly big initial push for model kits in the US, they made virtually no effort attempting to integrate themselves with the existing model kit market in America (train sets, planes, tanks, cars, etc), who didn't know what to make of this stuff, how to sell it, or what additional items should be stocked. Try finding Gunze Sangyo paints (or even Tamiya) in the US. It is not easy.

As far as the sales of regular toys are concerned, they burned their bridges with the big stores like Wal-Mart when they quickly pulled all the Zeta Gundam merchandise from shelves in favor of trying to get SEED ones out instead (for now I won't bother going into all the mishandling that went on with Zeta, which I am still grinding an axe over). The major retailers then decided it'd be easier to just not stock much Gundam anything.

Similarly, the success of the Gundam anime was largely dependent upon it being played every weekday on Toonami. Wing, 08th MS Team, and G were all well-received enough to rerun multiple times (and Wing got to air relatively unedited during the midnight reshowings). Anything that aired on just Friday or Saturday night at 10 PM or later was not well-received. Aside from the ridiculous edits like changing guns to laser pistols, Gundam SEED didn't do well on TV in the US because of its scheduling and timeslot. It fared well enough in Canada on YTV that they aired SEED Destiny.

It really shouldn't be that puzzling why the Gundam franchise didn't catch on in the US since so many mistakes were made (and it is NOT a "hindsight is 20/20" issue either), but I'll stop for now since a full in-depth answer would be best offered by people who either frequently read or write for Gunota.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of what was said about Evangelion and its popularity. I still mantain that Evangelion is one of the finer series of its genre and it's clear that the detractors are such a loud group of obnoxious meme spouters, each claiming "I've read somewhere that all the Evangelion symbolism was just there because it looks cool and is completely meaningless" or their "witty" jokes and jabs about Shinji being a "wuss" or spoiler["LOL, EVERYONE DIES", which is not even accurate]. I think people just love to try to be iconoclasts.

It is a real shame that Gundam hasn't caught on so much in America, but what do you expect from a franchise whose best days passed twenty years ago? It's one thing with Macross, because people have been watching Robotech since they were young, but America's first real taste of Gundam was with Gundam Wing (though I think Gundam 0083 was actually out first or at the same time, it just didn't garner much attention), and many don't want to bother watching programs that are over ten or twenty years old unless they grew up with them. It's probably why Bandai Entertainment gets away with such terrible R1 releases, like their release of Zeta Gundam, or their dub-only original Gundam release.

Not to mention that the newer shows aren't even given much of a chance on television - Gundam SEED, as bad as it is, might have done better had it not been in such a horrible timeslot (at what? Around 1:00 am?) on Cartoon Network. I still think that they should have at least finished showing the original series on CN, instead of coming up with convenient excuses for pulling it off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
bringing up the lack of popularity of gundam in america, what are the chances of 00 getting licenced here, if they could afford to randomly bring over zeta like they did I can see it happen, but then again when I look at all the series that never made it I wonder.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
From Article wrote:
Generally when someone busts out the "all OEL manga sucks!" argument in a discussion, they're shouted down by a bunch of people who disagree. It used to be the other way around.

Finally. A bit of sanity. I remember taking on a bunch of people in that OEL Jumped the Shark thread. Cool

From Article wrote:
All of these are pretty solid numbers, although they're not anywhere near the numbers Viz's popular titles do, they do well enough. But these are also Tokyopop's most visible, most heavily marketed and most talked-about OEL titles; there's clearly a lot of OEL manga that obviously isn't doing very well, based on the sheer number of titles they release every year.

And for every 10-20 pieces of utter crap -- there's bound to be at least 1-2 good-decent work. That's true for anything. It took time to achieve that -- and some are finally getting that bit of recognition. Kudos. Kudos.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
Eva as with EVERYTHING has people who don't like it and people who do. I know some that say they don't like it simply because the pace is too slow and have no patience for it (I'm a .hack fangirl so if I had enough patience to enjoy SIGN and everything else .hack, eva is no problem so I don't really understand that argument as much) It's just one of those shows, if you're wanting the full meaning you'll like it, if you want a smash-smash-beat 'em up, you won't, so why argue about something that is all determate on personal taste?

Even though Courtney Love has problems to say the least she can churn out some good manga ideas. I LOVE Princess Ai. Most would be very skeptical "Courtney Love doing a manga...it's probably crap then" but it's surprisingly good, cliche ending aside, so I think it is worth the hype.

In general though I'm not one to read amercian mangas, comics, etc, just doesn't get my attention. Not saying they aren't good...just doesn't do it for me.

I thought gundam did take off it? o.O Everyone and their mom had the models from my observation, so when I read the column I was like "Huh"

To counter Lily on her Gravitation comment.

1) If you've only read the first volume, you fail to realize that one is old. Her recent art is A LOT better. I will admit in the beginning I couldn't distinguish one character from another (Ryuichi/Shuichi)

2) As with a lot of things it takes time to build the story. As more characters and situations present themselves, Gravi gets a lot better as the series goes on.

3) Basing all your assumptions about something and giving it so much hate without even really getting into it is no better than those saying Eva sucks from this column. You give things a chance, find out more and you'd be surprised. If I can trudge through all the episodes of Texnolyze, each being just as tortures as the next (I love Yoshitoshi Abe, what can I say?) You can read at least a bit more into a 12 manga series before forming such an opinion.
Not being mean, just saying you should give it a chance, B/L aside. (But if you don't like B/L that's already a major strike in your mind against it anyway) And in that case...just beware if you happen to find anything with the words "Mega Mix" or "remix" in association with gravi Smile just a fair warning to all.

Last edited by AuraShadow on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9