• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Appleseed: Ex Machina

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and John one day declared that the director's opinion must always come first and that basically became our mantra. I know this kind of approach can sometimes land a film in real trouble (as we witnessed some of the biggest disasters in anime in recent years)

I wonder which titles he's alluding to with that comment...
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
God, everytime I read something that even mentions this film I just want it more >.> This is what happens when I so rarely bother to look forward to things.

Anyway, the increased budget definitely shows from the trailers I've seen so far. I'm also glad that they seem to be focusing more on the characters and their interactions in this movie than on how many gun fights and car chases they can fit in. One of the reasons I've always prefered Appleseed to GitS is that the characters are far more personable; they actually seem to get injured.

Now c'mon, Shirow-san...More manga...Please?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll also be hearing Basement Jaxx and Boom Boom Satelites again? I really liked the music in the first movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shaika-Dzari

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

+1 Very Happy

I saw on another website that the dvd will be release march 31.
Is it real? Someone has any info?

@+
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
and John one day declared that the director's opinion must always come first and that basically became our mantra. I know this kind of approach can sometimes land a film in real trouble (as we witnessed some of the biggest disasters in anime in recent years)

I wonder which titles he's alluding to with that comment...

Me too!

Come on Zac, we know that not everything that was said in the interview gets printed. You have any idea which ones he means? Perhaps a certain son?

Also, I am kinda concerned with the watching two different movies comment. I completely understand and support the changing of lines to English so that they makes sense in English. As long as it is basically saying the same thing, just in a different way. However, I don't want it to be so profound that I feel like it is a completely different movie.

Anyway, still excited to see this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Me too!

Come on Zac, we know that not everything that was said in the interview gets printed. You have any idea which ones he means? Perhaps a certain son?

Actually, that is everything that was said in the interview.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Also, I am kinda concerned with the watching two different movies comment. I completely understand and support the changing of lines to English so that they makes sense in English. As long as it is basically saying the same thing, just in a different way. However, I don't want it to be so profound that I feel like it is a completely different movie.

I didn't like how the phrase "like two different movies" was used, but I plan on buying it anyway and watching both the sub and the dub, so I guess I'll just pick which one I like better and stick with that.

I hope the dub is better than it was for the first movie, though. That was absolutely painful in some places (I'm looking squarely at you, Hitomi). Still, it's sort of weird having Luci Christian as Deunan now; I keep thinking "WRATH!"
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Shucks, I was hoping that there might have been, since tempest let us know that it does sometimes occur. (note to self: Somestimes doesn't mean all.)

Murasakisuishou:

Yeah, something like this is not going to affect my buying decision. But I do like my dubs to tell the same story.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Zac wrote:

Shucks, I was hoping that there might have been, since tempest let us know that it does sometimes occur. (note to self: Somestimes doesn't mean all.)

It really doesn't much matter. There's one Really Obivous candidate [released in the last five years to critically 'mixed' reviews after being stuck in production hell for a fair while, allegedly owing to having a director who kept on changing his mind, to the point where many people thought it would never be released], but knowing the title doesn't really help anyone, and the interview was about praising one film, not bagging another. The point being made is that it does happen, but pointing out the 'where' is just needlessly rude, I guess.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Frankly, I didn't know much about anime.

That's interesting, because when someone asked him about Crying Freeman at a con a decade ago, he said he was familiar with it. [Of course, he was referring to the manga, but stilll...] And I always imagined he'd seen Akira, because it has similar lighting and color schemes to Hard-Boiled.

Woo's a very friendly guy, and always willing to answer fanboy questions, which is why I respect him.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Shaika-Dzari wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:

+1 Very Happy

I saw on another website that the dvd will be release march 31.
Is it real? Someone has any info?

@+

The Warner Bros. site has the DVD release date as 3/11/08.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I hope the dub is better than it was for the first movie, though. That was absolutely painful in some places (I'm looking squarely at you, Hitomi). Still, it's sort of weird having Luci Christian as Deunan now; I keep thinking "WRATH!"

The dub for the first movie wasn't that great to me, but Luci Christian as Deunan? THAT sounds good to me!

This movie looks very pretty. That's the main reason I'll be watching it.
Sarahtdl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
Just listening to her in the Trailer, Luci seems to really have a grasp on ballancing deunan's tough side and her softer side. I think she's going to be wonderful. Can't wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1