• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Live-Action Film Casts Jamie Chung as Chi Chi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The dumpsters in Hollywood must be out of scripts.I guess originality is gone from this world.

Looks like this live action dragonball is focused towards the end of dragonball going into DBZ,or not at all.

[Do NOT double-post. Use the Edit button.~Zalis]
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Going staight to Piccolo as the villain? Why can't they stick to the original story and make sequels? Maybe they know it'll suck...I hope not though.
Kimyo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
ginzugirl wrote:
Jack Black gets my vote as Yajirobe!
Twisted Evil Somebody start the rumor!

I could totally see him as Yajirobei! It would be cool, but I bet he costs too much...

I was kinda hoping they'd snag Jet Li to play Goku(same sweet disposition, cute smile, and ass-kicking ability), but oh well. This Chatwin guy is pretty cute and hopefully he'llol buff up good, like Toby did for Spiderman.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ikillchicken: If they didn't still watch Transformers, then the dvds for the older episodes wouldn't sell.

Anyway, the only anime adaptation I'm looking forward to in '08 is Astro Boy.

Okay...Do they? I don't know about that.

Regardless, You've managed to nitpick your way to the point where this has nothing to do with my original point. Whether or not there is some group of people who are still active fans of Transformers, Dragon Ball, or whatever, there is not going to be enough to justify a hollywood adaptation meant to appeal to that audience.

You can nitpick till you're blue in the face about transformers vs DBZ and whether people are still actively fans of them and whatever I'm sure you'll go off on next, but it really doesn't matter. The bottom line is that hollywood makes movies to appeal to hollywood's audience.
coldspider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
Good god,why does it seem like most of the people who trash the Transformers movie are the hardcore TF's fans. (i.e. fanboys) I loved the cartoon back when I was a kid and I thought overall the movie was good.The realistic mecha designs were great because.....you know,it's actually freakin' cool to see how your own car could realistically transform into a big-ass robot.And obviously these robots were supposed to look intimidating and menacing,you wouldn't have gotten the same effect if they had used the exact same designs from the cartoon.If you still think the movie should've used the original designs,fine.Just know that we would've seen every Power Ranger robot from seasons 1-5 tearing up downtown L.A. if you got your wish.

From a completely directorial standpoint,Bay for the most part did a solid job on the movie.My only beef with Bay is that some of the action scenes were zoomed in on too closely with the camera shaking all over the place,so sometimes it was hard to tell what the hell was going on.And I think the scenes with Great Grandpa Witwicky should've been placed at the beginning of the movie as a foreshadowing to the arrival of the Transformers on Earth.Then the scene where Blackout f*cked up that military base should've followed.That said,the freeway scene is my favorite part of the movie and the battle in downtown was just plain awesome.

In a nutshell,the first half of the movie was for the kids where they mainly set up the story.The second half was for the adults where the set up was done and the movie became much more intense and the action picked up.C'mon guys,part of the point of this movie was to sell the toys as well.And sorry fellas,Hasbro wasn't aiming at the 25+ year old crowd,they want kids to put Optimus Prime and Megatron on their Christmas list.

I believe the biggest issue with the film was with some of the writing.The whole Sector 7 thing was *very* cheesy and came dangerously close to ruining everything.Then we have Jazz's,"Wassup bitches..." and Optimus',"Oops,my bad..." and all that kind of junk that just dumbed down the movie.And fire extinguishers hurt Transformers? WTF? And if Bumblebee changed his form on the fly,why didn't the other Autobots change their forms into something more useful and effective?

So yeah,once you look past those flaws I think overall it was a very solid effort.

Anyway...

I also have my doubts on the Dragonball movie,but with the right approach it could probably work.I mean seriously,we're talking about an alien baby with superpowers that crash lands on Earth.We've seen this story before,and Dragonball could end up being the movie Superman Returns should've been.That's not to say I didn't like Superman Returns,it's just that it could've used a bit more action and there's only so much you can do with a Supes/Luthor battle.

This whole DBZ project shouldn't sound *that* farfetched.The Heroes TV series has been a huge success and they can draw inspiration from a show like that,as well as all of the recent comic book movies.They could even pick up a pointer or two from that new Jumper movie.Yeah,it's mainly about dudes that can teleport,but after seeing the trailer the movie takes a very stylish approach to it and I think it gives a good idea on how the fights in the DBZ movie should look like.
king 47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
Ichigo XL wrote:
king:

Quote:
it was lame that up to you maybe you mean the storyline but the transformers ( i mean the cars and the planes) were good and the way they transformed was good that what i meant

Exsqueeze me?!? The "TF's" in that god awful waste of film looked like they were crafted/designed/banged out by some idjit with an H.R. Giger fetish, with some elements of Mechwarrior and Mad Max thrown in for good measure. It(or rather "they", in reference to the classic TF designs) were blasphemed. And furthermore, dude....learn english. Your sentence structure leaves tons to be desired....sheesh.....stupid hollywood loving luddites.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

P.S.: GATSU, you da man

1st im not a hollywood freak
2nd i dont really care about the movie or what you think about it
and the movie was a success it made $702,924,525 world wide even i didn't like it that much but i should admit it (you too)

so anyways i think the DBZ movie is not going to be exactly like the Mnaga/Anime their just gonna use the name to atract the Fans it may be even way different.

lets just wait n see
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Junkie wrote:
babbo wrote:

You say that, but I question if any studio in any country could actual make an accurate/faithful DB movie (much less a good one). To begin with the director producer ( Stephen chow) is a product of chinese cinema. Why not bash him or Chinese cinema as well? They both will undoubtedly have some kind of influence in the production of the movie <.<

I agree with you, but my main concern is hollywood making an adaptation of a foreign TV series.

I would imagine a Japanese live-action version would be more successful due to the cultural roots of both versions.
America and Japan have very different cultures, despite any similarities they may have.

Incedently, I'm not a Dragonball fan.
I've seen some of it and liked it, but I can't claim on being knowledgable on either Dragonball or the American film industry.
You'll have to ask my brother about that... he's the Dragonball nut AND an amatuer film critic.

Oh, and he's not particulary optimistic about it either.

Again, you can't discount the fact that chow is the director and the producer here. That's a huge (pretty much most of it if I'm not mistaken) amount of control over how the movies going to be made. The guy is a huge dragonball fan and he's worked pretty much entirely in Chinese cinema. People need to stop pinning this entirely on hollywood.

On another note hardcore TF fans are beginning to annoy me. They got a pretty damn good deal compared to what The Dark is Rising got treated to. Transformers was a fun "stupid action" movie to watch. In complete contrast The Seeker was a trashy dark vs. light story centered around a dysfunctional brat with an even more dysfunctional family and had damn near no connection the original source material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5