• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Film Shots Posted, Trailer to Run Thursday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
It looks amazingly good o.o.

Also, Racer X FTW! Very Happy
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
It can't be for sure just yet, but we might have it... the first good American live action adaptation of an anime.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm not sure yet. I was most interested in this 2D/flat thing they were going for, but the trailer is too chaotic for me to get a good sense of it in motion. Hopefully that's not a sign of what to expect of the action; I hate movies where "I can't tell what's going on" passes for good action scenes.
Out of everyone, Cristina Ricci was by far the best casting choice.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
...Did I see Tim Curry in there?

Anyway...I'm a liiiittle worried about how cartoonish the movie looks. It makes me flashback to movies like The Flintstones and Scooby Doo which were, uh, not good. I don't even have the nostalgia of being a fan of the original show "back in the day" to help like I did with the movies mentioned above...

That being said, I WANT this movie to be good and cool. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
Now all they have to do is have the horribly synched voice overs and their set.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Now all they have to do is have the horribly synched voice overs and their set.

That's almost exactly what my friend Patrick said after I showed the trailer to him. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Flipnofunk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote
Well the first thing i thought about the trailer was... it looks like F-Zero for some reason. Ah i think it just me haha.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote
[quote="LydiaDianne"]
MJP wrote:
Am I the lone dissenting opinion? Those frames look terrible. The CG is way too CG to be believed. The car itself looks great if that's a real model or the real thing, but everything else other than the actors and the car are far too cartoonish. It was the same with the Transformers movie... it was more like live-action* instead of live-action. Don't even get me started about Racer X's outfit. They kept Speed's and maybe Trixie's, but who hired the people that did the X-Men uniforms from the movies to get him in that pseudo-bondage getup? Yes, he did wear the mask. That's fine, it works. But everything else looks way too melodramatic gimpish.

If the trailer looks better with everything in motion, I'd give it a shot, but based on the frames on that site, I'd rather spend the money it costs to go out for dinner and a movie on actual old episodes of Speed Racer off Ebay.

I too go with you. I would rather watch family guy impersonations than this.
max_genus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
If only they could... No, would make the voices (especially Spritle) more like the original US voiceovers. I believe I could go into the theater with an open mind, but it's gonna be reeeaal difficult to truly accept the characters when the voices are so different.

Guess that's my prob, though. Watching it every day after school on the Captain Chesapeake Show... "And now it's time for Speeeeeed Racerrrrrrrr!"

Those were the days. Very Happy
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I don't think it will ever be considered a great movie, but it looks like a very entertaining movie. And since entertainment is my primary reason to go to the movies, I'll be seeing this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
Killer. Just...plain...killer! The cartoonish feel to the film is perfect for its style. John Goodman is Pops, even down to his voice! Hirsch has the look of Speed, but I hope he'll speak a bit louder so we can really hear how he sounds. Chim Chim = Anime hyper !!
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
For all those who are complaining about the cartoonish look of the CG, I'm pretty sure that was intentional. They wanted to create a living cartoon and I think their style best portrays that. Besides, the Wachowski brothers aren't exactly known for having a strong touch of realism in their movies. Now excuse me while I put on my sunglasses and fly out my window... =p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MJP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
The trailer made this look even worse than the photos. Living cartoon is too much of a stretch for me. If they wanted to do that, why do they have to use an actual cartoon or such immense fictional scenes to make it happen?

I'm sorry, but the CG is too hard-to-believe. I know we're expected to suspend our disbelief, and I'm willing to do that (excessive violence, way over-the-top conspiracies, melodrama - these are things I can accept as part of a storytelling experience) but I'm not willing to let a filmmaker get away with completely taking reality so far out of context. Those racetracks? Those physics? No. Simply no. If you want a living cartoon, have actual living people do cartoonish things and take things to cartoonish levels, but I want my movies to be done in reality. You want cars to go on an upside-down corkscrew race track? Find a way to do it with real cars on a real track. If you're going to make a big-budget thing like this, spend it on things that make me say "Wow, I can't believe they actually pulled this off!"

To me, "living cartoon" means Jackie Chan or other actual people acting. I either want an actual cartoon/animation or actual people.

It was bad enough with the Spider-man movies, but this is just worse. I don't hate this enough to encourage buying bootlegs to punish the people that made it, but I wouldn't watch it even if someone else bought the DVD or paid for my ticket. :-/

Save your money, people. You can probably buy one of the collector's edition DVDs off Ebay for the same cost + shipping as it would to go see a movie these days anyway. :-/
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
What demand is there for Speed Racer?
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
Until seeing these pictures and this trailer, I was still pretty much convinced this was going to turn out like so many other Hollywood adaptations of anime, and never actually happen.

The physics and tracks and coloring of the cg all look pretty farfetched and out there like people say, but come on, the Mach 5 doing that "sproing" flip....that was exactly like the original absurdity of the cartoon. I think I will go and see this for the cheese and fun factor if nothing else.

I'm just slightly worried about it becoming some sort of Fast and the Furious live-action cartoon and the movie being torn between the cheese and fun of the visuals and original source, and the dramatic action of most other big films that audiences are eating up right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5