• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Film Shots Posted, Trailer to Run Thursday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
This guy seems to get it more than the Wachowski Bros.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm watching anime, because they get realism better than Hollywood.
Cool

Uh, you realize this is the Speed Racer thread, right? Wink

Some anime "get" realism. Some anime don't bother. Speed Racer doesn't, and proudly doesn't.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing, for its time, Speed Racer was more realistic than most shows.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm guessing, for its time, Speed Racer was more realistic than most shows.

Auto Jacks for jumping over other cars. Belt Tires for scaling vertical cliffs. Cutter saws for, uh, cutting. Defenser for deploying a bullet-proof shield. Evening Eye for seeing night vision. Frogger mode for diving underwater. Gizmo button for launching a flying recon robot. Homing button for retrieving said flying recon robot. Another button for gliding in the air.

Uh, no.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they're gonna keep the US name for the Latin American versions since in Mexico and many Spanish-speaking countries "Speed Racer" is better known as "Meteoro".
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
testor: So the car basically has many of the gimmicks of the early Bond films; and those were considered realistic for their time, too.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: So the car basically has many of the gimmicks of the early Bond films; and those were considered realistic for their time, too.

You'll say anything absurd to deny you were wrong, won't you? Wink

Show us an "early Bond film" with a car that can scale a vertical cliff or glide in the air, and we'll talk. James Bond films didn't have a submarine car until a full decade later.

Remember, you were claiming that it "gets" realism better than Hollywood. Now you're claiming that it's only as "realistic" as a Bond film with a submarine car? Talk about moving your goalposts. Wink
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Who cares!?! Its a live action anime adaption that looks well done. I'm seeing this opening day. Hopefully if it does well, we can get other projects (like EVA) off of the ground. As Gatsu pointed out a few months ago, Transformers seems to have helped with the live action anime movement.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
Who cares!?! Its a live action anime adaption that looks well done. I'm seeing this opening day. Hopefully if it does well, we can get other projects (like EVA) off of the ground. As Gatsu pointed out a few months ago, Transformers seems to have helped with the live action anime movement.

I agree with you, really. Smile If it's good, it'll help anime, definitely. It's people like Gatsu who have absurd, preconceived expectations of what anime-based films must be, before those even open, and then don't bother watching the stuff anyways to avoid shattering their self-(un)fulfilling prophecies.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Show us an "early Bond film" with a car that can scale a vertical cliff or glide in the air, and we'll talk. James Bond films didn't have a submarine car until a full decade later.

I said many, not all.

Quote:
Remember, you were claiming that it "gets" realism better than Hollywood. Now you're claiming that it's only as "realistic" as a Bond film with a submarine car? Talk about moving your goalposts.

Before Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and The Matrix, that was realistic.

Quote:
It's people like Gatsu who have absurd, preconceived expectations of what anime-based films must be, before they even open, and then doesn't bother watching them anyways to avoid shattering his self-(un)fulfilling prophecies.

Um, I saw Transformers, and it was dumber than all of Bay's films combined.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

I said many, not all.

Quote:
Remember, you were claiming that it "gets" realism better than Hollywood. Now you're claiming that it's only as "realistic" as a Bond film with a submarine car? Talk about moving your goalposts.

Quote:
It's people like Gatsu who have absurd, preconceived expectations of what anime-based films must be, before they even open, and then doesn't bother watching them anyways to avoid shattering his self-(un)fulfilling prophecies.

Come on, Transformers was nowhere near as bad as Pearl Harbor. The whole film was giant slap in the face to WWII vets.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

I said many, not all.

I didn't say all either. I don't think 3 out of 9 counts as "many." Wink

Quote:
Quote:

Again, you're backpedalling. First you claimed it was more realistic than Hollywood. Now, you're just claiming it's as realistic as Bond films...with submarine cars. Never mind the gliding and vertical-climbing part.

Quote:
Quote:

You finally saw it, after months of ranting before even seeing it. Wink Now will you please be patient until you see this new film before ranting?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Again, you're backpedalling. First you claimed it was more realistic than Hollywood. Now, you're just claiming it's as realistic as Bond films...with submarine cars.

Actually, I'm not since your comment about the car having more features than the ones in the Bond films supports my argument.

Quote:
You finally saw it, after months of ranting before even seeing it. Wink

Yeah, I knew it would suck, but people occasionally stare at car-wrecks, right?

Quote:
Now will you please be patient until you see this new film before ranting?

Nope, cus I'm not interested in it. My only concern is Akira-if that ever happens. [/quote]
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Again, you're backpedalling. First you claimed it was more realistic than Hollywood. Now, you're just claiming it's as realistic as Bond films...with submarine cars.

Actually, I'm not since your comment about the car having more features than the ones in the Bond films supports my argument.

It having more features than Bond cars means it "gets realism better than Hollywood"? Okay...

Quote:
Quote:
Now will you please be patient until you see this new film before ranting?

Nope, cus I'm not interested in it. My only concern is Akira-if that ever happens.

You're not interested in this film? Cool. Then please go to some other thread. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
It having more features than Bond cars means it "gets realism better than Hollywood"? Okay...

The actual effort put into optimizing and rigging the thing shows a sense of believability, especially given that the real thing only came out about 40 years later.

Quote:
You're not interested in this film? Cool. Then please go to some other thread.

Oh, I'm sorry? Are you the Opinion Police? Did I break the law?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5