• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: On Strike!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

Well, and also Gourry is still an unusual character in that the dumb blonde character is USUALLY a woman. When you think of a standard fantasy RPG team, the big guy with the sword is typically the hero and leader, not a bumbling fool. I'm not saying it's never been done before, but that still makes him not as much of a possibly offensive stereotype.

Okay, I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on that one. The big guy with the sword is usually the blood-thirsty killer (i.e. Guts in Beserk) or the soft-hearted giant (Caramon in Dragonlance Chronicles). And generally the big guy with the sword is usually naive. So... yeah. Gourry irratated me a lot when I was watching Slayers. But, that's neither here nor there.

Honestly, it all seems a bit meta for me. I've only seen the OAV, but I'd have to say from what I've seen Belldandy wasn't nearly THAT flat of a character. And there was always a question of whether she cared because she wanted to or because she was supposed to.

However, I don't think she's the ideal woman by any means. But I never found her nearly as offensive as say Chi. I mean at least she has a personality.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
JackCox wrote:
I'll tell you what the best show with Strong Female Leads are, Red Garden, they portray the lead females as flawed individuals but people who eventually face the music and toughen it out, despite the fact they are going through hell.

Go watch The Twelve Kingdoms for quite possibly the strongest female in anime - I'm talking about Youko Nakajima. Black Lagoon has another strong female, Revy. For another show, go watch Haibane Renmei for a much more likable cast of strong characters - all females. Ghost in the Shell SAC has Motoko Kusanagi. Giant Robo has Ginrei. I could go on with series with stronger females, but I think I've listed MORE than enough.

Red Garden just utterly fails in terms of strong females, in the end, they are essentially boring and hollow shells for personalities - they don't measure up in the least, because every single series and female I just named off, is about 100x stronger than Red Garden's cast combined. There are better females than the cast of Red Garden, you just need to open your mouth and get a wider taste of female characters, weak and strong. Take the series I listed and watch them, you'll see what I mean.

The girls in Red Garden are far more realistic than any of the women you mentioned above. I'm not sure how much of Red Garden you've seen, but they're well-developed and realistically depicted, despite the abnormal circumstances they find themselves in. They each break out of the archetype after which they were modeled. I'm not saying none of your examples are bad; I've already mentioned Motoko, and Revy is badass. I'm a little perplexed as to how the girls in Haibane are any stronger than the girls in Red Garden (not to say that they aren't strong). I suppose this just qualifies as a difference of opinion, but I found the characters the strongest part of Red Garden (and I liked the show).
Strephon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Damnit, people, Bell's not a doormat! She takes the initiative; she doesn't automatically do whatever Keiichi wants; and she calls the shots in the relationship.

I think people tend to miss this point (or they don't get it because they've only seen the OVAs and think they understand the entire series). The constant references to her as a "doormat" imply that she's dating a guy who repeatedly takes advantage of her, and she doesn't stop him. It's just the opposite: he doesn't take advantage of her because she shows him trust and he doesn't want to betray this. (It helps that Keiichi is fundamentally a good person; this wouldn't work as well with everyone.)

It also helps to look at the historical context of the series and the genre it's part of. Urusei Yatsura, when it began in 1978, was a humorous inversion of the "ideal wife" stereotype: Lum is selfish (or at least her attempts to be helpful invariably backfire), inconsiderate, and not much help domestically (she can cook, but doesn't care that humans find her food inedibly spicy). This left an indelible mark on the magical girlfriend genre. AMG came along two years after UY ended. Making Bell different from Lum isn't so much a cultural throwback as it is making the series different from the most recent prominent example of the genre. If Belldandy were selfish, inconsiderate, etc. the series would have been just another Urusei Yatsura clone.

And Lum may be strong-willed, but it doesn't help her in her relationship any. Given that she electrocutes Ataru when he displeases her, when he pleases her, or just when she feels like it, she doesn't accomplish anything in trying to change his behavior. (All he learns is to be careful not to get caught.) Lum can't keep a leash on Ataru with the threat of electrocution; Keiichi would do anything to avoid disappointing Belldandy, just because she smiles at him. Which one is strong and in control here, exactly?
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
JackCox wrote:
I'll tell you what the best show with Strong Female Leads are, Red Garden, they portray the lead females as flawed individuals but people who eventually face the music and toughen it out, despite the fact they are going through hell.

Go watch The Twelve Kingdoms for quite possibly the strongest female in anime - I'm talking about Youko Nakajima. Black Lagoon has another strong female, Revy. For another show, go watch Haibane Renmei for a much more likable cast of strong characters - all females. Ghost in the Shell SAC has Motoko Kusanagi. Giant Robo has Ginrei. I could go on with series with stronger females, but I think I've listed MORE than enough.

Red Garden just utterly fails in terms of strong females, in the end, they are essentially boring and hollow shells for personalities - they don't measure up in the least, because every single series and female I just named off, is about 100x stronger than Red Garden's cast combined. There are better females than the cast of Red Garden, you just need to open your mouth and get a wider taste of female characters, weak and strong. Take the series I listed and watch them, you'll see what I mean.

Only in later volumes. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Twelve Kingdoms and i think that it is one of the best fantasy anime series ever made, but Youko doesn't really show some backbone untill the third volume. She is a great character, but she whines a lot in volumes 1 and 2. Haven't seen Red Guarden, so I can't comment, but Revy from BL is certainly a strong character. I would argue that so is Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop. There is also San from Princess Mononoke (and pretty muth every other female character froma Miyazaki movie.) I'm probably going to get a lot of rap for this, but I like Oh My Goddess, I think its a cute/fun series.
Hiryu77

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
You should've re-posted that big argument with that anime... what was it called again? Ahhh... it was Kodomo no Ji-*shot*

[Just Kidding, Just Kidding, you know it's a joke...right? *Sweatdrop*]
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Here in the UK there is a "gay pride" day where all come out(no pun intended) and march through London, though I think a few just do it to cosplay being that way. Any excuse for a carnival. There are gay bars in London, however not too sure about outside of London as not being gay myself I wouldn't care anyway. My philosophy is live and let live, as long as they leave me alone. I was a target of someone's affection in my younger days, but I made it absolutely clear what gauge my tracks ran and his wasn't the same as mine. We were both rather upset about the whole thing afterwards. Me for being the target of male affection and not have had a girlfriend yet. and him for being rejected. He probably has forgotten all about it, if he's even still alive that is as I never saw him again after we finished school, but I never will.

I'm sure he remembers unless he's really good at accepting humiliation. No one-straight or gay, likes to be rejected (unless one has issues. That radio show I listen to has a guy who totally sets himself up for failure &, over 40, he's apparently never had a romance last long)

Gourry may lack the intelligence of moss growing on a rock, but he has that "idiot hero" thing Japan likes--like Goku/DBZ. Remember that ep where he was being used & he was the mystery swordsman & he was pretty effective. He doesn't have to be smart, he's the muscle of the team. He is good with his sword.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
Lets put it this way, who would make the better wife? Belldandy, or Tenchi's Ryouko? Wink
To me this would be an impossible choice to make as both have similar basic trates they both show to their respective love interests, but both also have their individual flaws as well, even though they are 180 of each other in terms of personallity.
Chesis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Damnit, people, Bell's not a doormat! She takes the initiative; she doesn't automatically do whatever Keiichi wants; and she calls the shots in the relationship. Cooking and cleaning are a sign of civilization, not a holdover from a primitive generation of man. For f*ck's sake, does she have to bag a bear and get in a bar fight to prove she's "tough" or what?!

I don't see it as a question of being tough. It's a matter of being her own person. Belldandy has essentially given up being a goddess to be a housewife, and it's a little hard to see what she's getting out of the relationship. It would be different if they were married and she was making a choice to stay home to take of the kids, but spending all her tme just taking care of Keniichi seems a little strange.

The problem is we don't see Belldandy having much of a life outside the home, unless there's a crisis going on and she has to intervene in supernatural shenanigans. All of her non-housework interests and friends on Earth seem to be Keniichi's (going by the movie). I feel sorry for her more than anything else.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
SLayers as a team title means each team member fills a slot. Goddesses is a harem title so the gals fill certain types. Skuld is the cute girl like Sasami. Urd is the sassy/vampy one like Ryoko. Belldandy is like the eldest Tendo girl Kasumi. I always preferred Ryoko for her spirit. I never liked Belldandy really though Urd & Skuld were fun. Belldandy is like the stereotype perfect wife material. Urd & Ryoko would keep life interesting
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Damnit, people, Bell's not a doormat! She takes the initiative; she doesn't automatically do whatever Keiichi wants; and she calls the shots in the relationship. Cooking and cleaning are a sign of civilization, not a holdover from a primitive generation of man. For f*ck's sake, does she have to bag a bear and get in a bar fight to prove she's "tough" or what?!

Then why doesn't Keiichi do the housework?

It's not often that I'll back up Gatsu on a point, but I think he's got one here.

The boy plays with greasy car stuff all day. Do you really want him doing the laundry, or hand-making the rice balls?

ISTR he offers to help -- and honestly he's far more a doormat than Bell is.

I always figured that Bell was trying to build up Keichi's confidence unobtrusively, to make him less of a doormat, and he sort of rises to the challenge (limited by the conventions of the piece, of course).

It's important that he NEVER takes her for granted as a rule -- and when he drifts into that territory he tries to make up for it.

There is nothing wrong with doing what you're good at, and what you enjoy. So what if it happens to be a traditional role?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6