• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Anime Festival and ICv2 Conference on Anime and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm really enjoying the video coverage, the interviews etc. My only comment is the more/longer, the better!

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

If 4Kids is moving away from Japanese animation, why the hell did Kahn need to show up at the conference and make more comments that don't seem to be winning him any points? Sorry, I know they've BEEN a heavy hitter for awhile, with shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh under their belt and failures/learning experiences like One Piece as well, but if he really feels that anime from Japan can no longer make him money, then he just needs to move along. I really do feel One Piece was 4Kids' mistake - it was their fault for not paying more attention to the material they were adapting instead of assuming it would be another automatic cash cow like some of their other adaptations.

Sorry, I'm done running my mouth. Anyway, I really am enjoying ANN's coverage and wish I could be there. The cosplays look fabulous and I really wanted to hear what the editor of Faust had to say, among others. Keep up the great work ANN!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I am no expert on vidcasts, or broadcasts or whatever you want to call them. But I can say I have enjoyed these two segments immensely.

So for what it's worth, good job guys!!! Smile

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
BTW, if ya guys not there wanna watch the cosplay-winning performance, it's here.
theBear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Okina wrote:
stuff

Can I ask what professional video production experience you have that qualifies you to offer these really lengthy, unsolicited "notes" on every single video that gets posted?

I ask because Mohawk52 has 20+ years of pro experience and his advice has been really valuable, and he's obviously speaking from a position of authority. It's not that your comments in general are not welcome, it's that you come across (somewhat condescendingly, I might add) like an old seasoned pro who's teaching the newbies how to make a successful series and insofar as I can tell your only "production experience" is a standard audio anime podcast that you do for fun. I'm not sure why you're behaving like we hired you as a consultant, giving notes on nearly every tiny little creative decision made in every video.

Comments are always welcome but I'm wondering what exactly is going on with yours and why you feel the need to do this.

Zac, I'm a graduate of a 3yr Television Broadcasting College Program with 8 years professional experience. I've read Okina's suggestions and comments as well as your own.

Unfortunately, the only point you have made I find fair and accurate is that Okina has made quite a few suggestions.

You pointed out yourself that Okina has experience working with audio and audio podcasting. The remainder of Okina's comments are all very reasonable and acceptable as either his personal opinion, (to which he's perfectly entitled) or re-markedly astute, and suggest a keen observer. His suggestions and comments have been made in a constructive manner.

I take notable exception to your questioning Okina's experience or qualification (credentials) to make comments. This is an open forum. Since when has anyone needed to be solicited to chime in with comments or suggestions in an open forum? Not to mention this forum represents a journalistic endeavor. One that I understand you are more a part of than just a forum contributor. Therefore I suggest you read the section on media law pertaining to defamation of character (as you've trodden rather dangerously around the fringes.)

I would suggest that both a private apology and an open retraction are in order.

As for your video podcast, keep up the good efforts and remember that having fun making something translates to the viewer. If you're having fun making your show, there's a decent chance people will enjoy watching it too! Wink

Sincerely,
TheBear
- Media Professional
- Graduate, 3yr Television Broadcasting Diploma with 3rd Year Honors
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
In the Central Park Media article, I noticed the line "Going back to his talking points from his appearance at the State of the Industry panel earlier today, O'Donnell..." Yet, I don't see coverage of that panel. Is that something still to come, or is not being made public?

I ask because the most interesting parts to me so far were the White Paper and the Marketing to Otaku summaries.

pp
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:05 am Reply with quote
theBear wrote:

I take notable exception to your questioning Okina's experience or qualification (credentials) to make comments. This is an open forum. Since when has anyone needed to be solicited to chime in with comments or suggestions in an open forum? Not to mention this forum represents a journalistic endeavor. One that I understand you are more a part of than just a forum contributor.

So if someone goes on and on and on and on making very specific production comments, notes, and suggestions on what is a very technical process, it's never okay to ask them if they have any experience doing anything of the sort? Yeah, it's an open forum. It's open to me, too. I wasn't particularly rude to Okina, I asked basic questions and commented on his tone. That's it.

Quote:
Therefore I suggest you read the section on media law pertaining to defamation of character (as you've trodden rather dangerously around the fringes.)

Uh oh, I might get sued for talking to someone on the internet!

Quote:

I would suggest that both a private apology and an open retraction are in order.

I would suggest that you are overreacting.

Sincerely,
Zac
- Guy who noticed that you registered just to post this
- Enjoys tuna fish sandwiches
pandaxvi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
enjoyed both coverage alot!
thnks alot!!!
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a flamer, but there were some personal habits that were distracting to me:
1) Bamboo's rocking back & forth; especially when she rocks forward to make a point. This may be her 1st time on camera, but it was a personal thing that I didn't like. She showed none of that in the Saturday report when she interviewed the cosplay winners.
2)The video coverage looked like bootleg video, except for the standups in front of your booth. I know handheld camcorders are easier & seem more immediate. However, smooth pans of the merchandise tables, IMO, look better than slightly herky-jerky camera movement.
3) Also, clips of shows taped from the screen seem amateurish. Again, IMO.

Ellie seems to hold her hands in front of her when she's not "talking" with them. "Talking" hands, good; I do a lot of that. She needs to let her arms relax a little more, like Mario seemed to do in the Saturday report. Fortunately, at the beginning of the 2nd half Saturday report, she did just that. Unfortunately, she resumed the old habit when she interviewed Evan Miller.
Am I nitpicky? Yes, & feel free to ignore all the above if you choose to. I took one beginning communications class & in college & one beginning film class. I don't claim to be an experienced film & video professional. I'm just giving my opinions about the 2 video reports.
Ellie & Mario are very good & I'm sure they'll work out the kinks in 2-3 weeks. I really like their youthful enthusiasm & passion, which made the 2nd report fun to watch.
As for the Big Wrapup, I hope it's longer than 6-7 minutes, which was the average length of the 1st 2 reports. Podcasts should be longer, but IMHO, the regular weekly reports should be around 10 minutes. Again, I know these are works in progress & they're progressing in the right direction. Can't wait to see more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
theBear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Are you suggesting there's something wrong with someone feeling strongly enough about a subject to join a forum and contribute to the discussion? I offered my credentials since they seem so vital to your acceptance of posts.

I believe neither of us will change the other's mind on the main issues at this point, so I won't waste my time.

But I must correct you on one vital point. You can indeed (most definitely) be sued for comments made on the internet.
Info: http://www.cba.org/BC/public_media/rights/240.aspx

I'm surprised given your position that you aren't familiar with these laws. It would be prudent of you to read up.

I don't think there's much more for me to say except good luck and keep at the podcasts.

Sincerely,
theBear

Last edited by theBear on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
theBear wrote:
But I must correct you on one vital point. You can indeed (most definitely) be sued for comments made on the internet.

Okay well, since no one seemed to care the first time you made the statement, and this probably isn't my place, but I gotta say this is BS.

Defamation is is when you damage someones reputation, specifically. As in John Q. Smith who lives on Forestbrook Road in Queens is a cat burglar who likes to sniff the panties of women over the age of 65. Not some random and anonymous internet forum screen name, where no damage to the reputation can be made, only insults(which I don't think Zac was doing, or if he was, very mildly).

If he had looked up his IP address, found out his real name, told everyone where he lived, and then made up some kind of embarrassing untrue statement about him. Then you might have a point.

Christ, are the ambulance chasers in Canada really that low on work or something?

You know Zac and other admins say things I don't like too(sometimes). But I am not going to tell them to stop being who they are. And no one agrees with someone else 100%, all of the time. If we start limiting peoples speech in such a way, forum discussion would be about as colorful as reading a government report of how the harsh winter affected the orange harvest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
theBear wrote:
Zac wrote:

Are you suggesting there's something wrong with someone feeling strongly enough about a subject to join a forum and contribute to the discussion? I offered my credentials since they seem so vital to your acceptance of posts.

I believe either of us will change the other's mind on the main issues at this point, so I won't waste my time.

I'm surprised given your position that you aren't familiar with these laws. It would be prudent of you to read up.

I don't think there's much more for me to say except good luck and keep at the podcasts.

Sincerely,
theBear

Well let me chime in here. I may know not a damn thing about the technical aspects of video production or any of that but since everyone is throwing around their credentials I might as well be that guy and do the same. Speaking as someone who studied Law and got a degree in Criminal Justice you are right bear. You can be sued for defamation online just as you would offline. Instead of going on and on about the fallacies in this situation I will just point out the clearest and most obvious. For you to be sued for defamation, which is a rarity anymore in itself since there's a very fine line between it and the protections under the 1st amendment, you have to prove the communication of the said statement makes a false claim that is expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation. Not even the almighty Johnny Cochrane risen from the dead could win that argument here. Zac in no ways insults the poster at all. Zac questioning the poster's credentials to make factual claims on an actual trusted news website is actually part of his job. And since he again in no way actually provides any slander against the poster, especially to the degree to prove defamation, that would hurt the professional reputation of him/her or a business (which there isn't one anyway) there is no such issue. Perhaps you should read up on the laws you want to quote and the burden of proof to prove a violation of said laws.

The Todd says high 5. (Sorry, watching too many re-runs of Scrubs)

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Kscriv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Lightyears ahead of the first trial run, while there are still a few hicups that have been touched on here I'm sure they will be ironed out in time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
[Deleted, do this again and you'll be banned, again]

do it.

Last edited by Steventheeunuch on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
theBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your input. Now I think it's really time to put this chain of posts to bed.

Steventheeunuch - Nice to see you managed to figure out the keyboard. Apparently quite an accomplishment for you.

Psycho 101, Dargonxtc
- I never intended to suggest anyone could build a case out of what was said here. I originally stated that this was skirting the fringes of the law (spirit vs. letter of law.) My last post's intent was to correct Zac's erroneous assertion that these laws didn't extend to the internet. Something an Editor ought to know. My original point, now almost lost, was that Zac's comments were inappropriate enough that he should consider an apology based on the spirit of this law if not his own good conscience.

Everyone - I've had my fill of this open discussion. Let's return this hijacked thread.
If you feel the need to respond, (with insults, questions, further debate) I invite you to PM me.

Last edited by theBear on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:37 am; edited 5 times in total
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
The juveniles can stop their trolling Now, please. This thread is about the Anime News Network TV coverage of the NYAF. Forgive me for my impatience, but the con ended Sunday & Tuesday morning we still don't have a Day 3 report and/or wrapup. I understand there were the 2 big industry panels to finish the con & your report may be covering most of that.
I have no problem with the Final Report going 15-20 minutes, if you are summing up the festival. I'm looking if possible for detailed video of the industry panels & not soundbites, like 4Kids' Al Kahn. I know there's a fine line between "detailed video" & rehashing what you already covered in your articles. Do your best, though.
BTW, I know you covered the masquerade & the big winners, but I'd like to see more fun stuff than serious industry stuff, even if it's just more on-the-street interviews with cosplayers.
Hey, what about an Answerman-on-the-Street, with Zac taking questions from cosplayers? Are you quick enough on the draw, Answerman?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3