• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass to Air on America's Adult Swim in Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
... They won't be calling CC "C2" in the dub, will they?

Highly doubt it.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
I find the CC name kinda funny because I had an older cousin I had nicknamed that when I was a kid.

As for the politics and nationalism in Code Geass and Japanse politics... I'm not going anywhere near that.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

For example, I know a friend refuses to even listen to the dub of Death Note. Though personally, Light wasn't bad, but even I admit L was too deep sounding. Then again I need to check the Japanese dub again. Also, even back when I saw the Evangelion dub, I was surprised that Shinji didn't sound as girly. Of course, in Japan he was voiced by a female actress. Not sure about Leouch.

Both Lelouch and Suzaku are not feminine sounding at all. They are both voiced by male seiyuu.

Although I do agree with the opinion that they should switch Lelouch and Suzaku's dub voices around.

Aha. Maybe I just keep hearing fandom talking about pretty boys. I have some friends kinda swooning over both Leouch and L.

Actually, upon watching some of Death Note on Adult Swim's site, I remembered my bigger problem with L. He sounds too old, too deep voiced.

Plus maybe I need to check out Code Geass again.

Veoryn87 wrote:
Johnny can be high pitched, like Clause from Last Exile, or in extreme cases, Renton from Eureka Seven, but he can do the deeper voices just fine (Ichigo from Bleach).

Oh crap! He was Claus? Hmmm.. Well that's totally different from Leouch, but also different from the more manic Vash.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:33 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
As for the politics and nationalism in Code Geass and Japanse politics... I'm not going anywhere near that.

It is a factor though. The first few episodes will usually decide if the watchers will stick with the show or not, and they are rather wrapped up in the flag so to speak. I watched it on fansub after they've subbed all the episodes so I do not have to make the choice on whether or not I should continue it week-for-week, but first-timers on AS will.

I can see some being put off by the, ah, geographical correlation between the Britannian Empire and the USA before the story abandons this focus and the viewers become too engrossed in the story's own fictional world to care about "real world comparisons" anymore.

As for the "great entertainment" factor though Code Geass has it all: intense plot, heavy, well-done action, swift pace (unlike certain shonen series *cough*), and an awesome hero who's not exactly dime-a-dozen either; unlike, again, certain hero styles like "brooding tall guy with dark past" or "kind, honest young hero."
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
I dunno. As kinda creepy over the top nationalistic as the series seemed, it almost was funny The whole spoiler[United States of Japan] line got a huge laugh from the club I was watching it at. I don't know what the proper translation was, I forget if they said United States or not. Plus some of the other scenes it was just rather preposterous. Like the whole spoiler[bomb] thing and her face reacting to it. WTF?!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
scortia wrote:
... They won't be calling CC "C2" in the dub, will they?

Highly doubt it.

It will be quite amusing to watch "Ci-Ci" eat Pizza Hut pizza.

As long as this doesn't get edited to hell, this should do at least decently on AS. Mecha isn't too popular in the U.S. and SEED failed, but SEED's editing couldn't have helped things, and this is only slightly more mecha than FMP. The mechs take a backseat to Lulu's scheming, which is the real thrill of the show.

It's nice to hear it will air on AS, but I won't be watching it there, so I'm far more interested in hearing when the DVDs will be out and details on that.
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quibbles over the English voice casting aside, I think this AS acquisition shows they remain committed to having anime on their schedule.

They are aware that they can count on roughly 300K anime viewers on weekends and 400-500K on weeknights, viewers they'd lose if they dropped anime.

Of course, what they really want is another Inuyasha or Fullmetal Alchemist, a show that brings in big numbers both in premieres and repeats.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. (^_*)
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Regarding my earlier post of Johnny having 14+ lead character roles (it's like between 18-20 counting his alias of Kevin Hatcher), two other known voice actors that have frequented the act of being the protagonist are Ayako Kawasumi and Brad Swaile (His recent role of Light in Death Note makes him also the antagonist of sorts. I think it rare in any form of storytelling where a hero is also viewable as the villain. A well-known example of this rarity is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.). The only shows that I have seen full episodes/movies of Johnny's lead role are Trigun, Akira, & Wolf's Rain. And finally, I don't know about you guys but two reasons I respect him is the fact I grew up seeing him as Adam the Black Power Ranger and the other is that he, Carrie Savage, Kyle Hebert, Vic Mignogna, Kara Edwards, Caitlin Glass, Laura Bailey, Luci Christian, Troy Baker, Jamie Marchi, Leah Clark, Steve Blum, Chuck Huber, and other voice actors are all Christian. That is to say, I come from a very Christian background.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
Of course, what they really want is another Inuyasha or Fullmetal Alchemist, a show that brings in big numbers both in premieres and repeats.

I'm predicting Soul Eater to be that show in a few years time. Been impressed by the 3 volumes of manga I've read and it's a 50 odd episode anime from Studio Bones coming out in the Spring 08 season. In the time between that.... maybe Kekkaishi? Can't think of anything else that could fill that gap.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
well , a trailer has come out , found it at the LJ com .
http://revver.com/video/525970/code-geass-trailer-1/
And i have to say that i am quite impressed with the dubs .
Well It will take time to get used to Lelouch's voice but i think that the guy who Voices him will do a fine job.
The one i was really impressed with was Suzaku . I could really feel that i am going to hate him as much as before.
The probably let down is C.C's voice ( assuming that she is the one narrating the trailer at the beginning ) , not that the voice is bad , it just doesn't give the same vibes .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6