• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gantz DVD Perfect Score Collection

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eviltimes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Gantz is terrible. The worst anime I've ever suffered through. Absolutely no redeeming value.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
eviltimes wrote:
Gantz is terrible. The worst anime I've ever suffered through. Absolutely no redeeming value.

Couldn't agree more. My absolute least favorite anime of all time. The only reason I watched it was because it kept getting compared to Elfen Lied (which I enjoyed). It was very tough to make it to the end.
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the Gantz anime and this was even after I read the manga. Nonetheless I understand why a lot of people don't like it, for it's many flaws, dragged out action and terrible ending. That still doesn't change the fact that it's still an exciting anime to watch and an even more excitingly well-developed manga to read. Anime smile
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree with Master_M2K on this one, it's an enjoyable series if you look past some of its flaws. I certainly find it to be much, much more enjoyable than Elfen Lied (what a horrible series that turned out to be) and it's definitely one of Gonzo's best series since they everything they produce is shit. Laughing

And also a mistake in the review, the set's MSRP is $99.98 not $89.99.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I love Gantz, one of my favorite series. There are some dragging spots here and there, but still has some amazing action scenes. The ending was weird to. Elfen Lied is another favorite, it has a better story than Gantz, and has a lot of blood and fun like it.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
I'll agree with Master_M2K on this one, it's an enjoyable series if you look past some of its flaws. I certainly find it to be much, much more enjoyable than Elfen Lied (what a horrible series that turned out to be) and it's definitely one of Gonzo's best series since they everything they produce is shit. Laughing

When the main flaw is that the main character is basically designed so that you don't care about him, and the decent characters get shafted, it's hard to like it.

Gonzo has its ups and downs. They produce crap like this, but they also make quality shows like Gankutsuou and Welcome to the NHK. It evens out.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
When the main flaw is that the main character is basically designed so that you don't care about him, and the decent characters get shafted, it's hard to like it.

Gonzo has its ups and downs. They produce crap like this, but they also make quality shows like Gankutsuou and Welcome to the NHK. It evens out.

They have more downs than ups sadly, the last 2 years being an excellent example. Gankutsuou is easily their best title, in my opinion atleast, nothing else they're ever done even comes close (including Last Exile). Their shows get lots of hype and sell well so we'll continue to see ADV and Funimation fight for them.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
They have more downs than ups sadly, the last 2 years being an excellent example. Gankutsuou is easily their best title, in my opinion atleast, nothing else they're ever done even comes close (including Last Exile). Their shows get lots of hype and sell well so we'll continue to see ADV and Funimation fight for them.

I'll agree with that. Their shows get hyped up probably because they tend to have mass appeal, but the quality doesn't match up.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I already picked up the two thinpacks, but the "perfect score" spherical set does have some pretty neat packaging. I liked GANTZ to a point, and that point was Episode 19, where the animation quality fell through the floor (just for that episode) and spoiler[the dog got killed. Okay, maybe that was episode 20, but still, the dog was awesome! Why he have to die??? Crying or Very sad] After that point, things really went downhill, and I say this having no experience with the manga. At least we got to see Greg Ayres in that atypical role, as the review states. I thoguht everyone in the ADV cast did a great job -- the raunchy, violent, profanity-riddled GANTZ was perfect for ADV's "style." Normally I watch a series for the first time (whether in fansubs or DVDs) in Japanese, but for GANTZ I watched in English all the way through.
I'd agree that there are some unnecessarily protracted death scenes, such as spoiler[Kei Kishimoto. For starters, if she sees this corrosive acid being thrown at Kato, why not get a running start and knock him out of the way? But no, she decides to get in the path of the acid and stand there like a chump just so she can give a speech as the acid eats away her lower body Rolling Eyes]
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed certain moments in Gantz, but had problems getting past a few crude moments that seemed inserted for a juvenile chuckle. Oddly enough most of my favorite moments occurred between battles when the characters had to integrate back into society. My favorite plot was spoiler[when Kishimoto goes home and sees her duplicate. The regret that she carries with giving it all up was done very well. I also like the girl with the book who appears in the statues arc.] Overall I find the good parts are better than the good parts of Gonzo's Red Garden, while the bad parts for both series are painful.

I really could care less about the last story arc. I love the ending credits song by Bonnie Pink. I bought her 2 CD "best of" which includes Rain from Kenshin as well.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
to those who dislike the anime, at least give them manga a chance when DH puts it on shelves. It's much better.
Monumension

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the whole Gantz anime yet, but from what I gather it seems that it finishes right at the point in the manga where the protagonist starts showing a different side of himself. People who're complaining about the lack of sympathetic characters should give the manga a chance. The anime ends just where the manga starts to get (really) interesting.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
Like Elfen Lied, the series was cut short where they should have left an opening somehow for a possible second series, without a cliffhanger it's extremely difficult to do so. I'm amazed though that the series is really that bad it had to be censored on Japanese television, then again even with live action the Japanese have come up with what some people would call very sick stuff.
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
This anime was just to disturbing for my tastes, for example the episode where the girl gets her genitals licked by a dog. It took me a while to get that picture out of my head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1