Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA's IFC Adds Witchblade, Speed Grapher, Hell Girl




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5912
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
gald to see they're adding more shows. i've seen a few dub episodes of Speed Grapher, and it sounded really good.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ryusaki



Joined: 05 Mar 2005
Posts: 363
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they did'nt nab Mushi-Shi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samuraiwalt



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 647
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's early next year. I bought vol. 1 of Speed Grapher as part of a 2-pack with Desert Punk for $17.99. I haven't seen Hell Girl and only seen 1 episode of Witchblade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
emory



Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Posts: 615
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Cool shit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ManSlayer07



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 214
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Good news for IFC and Funi but yet another loss for Adult Swim. I expected AS to get Witchblade from day one (and Speed Grapher was also a title I could see them showing).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5912
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Good news for IFC and Funi but yet another loss for Adult Swim. I expected AS to get Witchblade from day one (and Speed Grapher was also a title I could see them showing).


i don't know if you've seen the american Speed Grapher, but it's WAY worse than the Japanese one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro



Joined: 12 Jun 2003
Posts: 2451
Location: A block away from Golden Gate Park
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i don't know if you've seen the american Speed Grapher, but it's WAY worse than the Japanese one.


If you are referring to the dub I know Theron mentioned the English dub was the ONLY good thing about Speed Grapher. I for one love the series and watched it in Japanese since it takes place in Japan, but I know that there were really strong opinions about the quality of the dub surpassing the Japanese track.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
abominaSion



Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 125
Location: U.S...maybe
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Finally...something new to replace Samurai 7. It was weird for IFC to just keep showing Samurai 7 and never go back to Gunslinger Girl or Basilisk wich are more adequite for IFC. If these series are doing well, why is IFC only getting series from Funimation. They sign somthing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
herbkir



Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 251
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I get IFC in my satellite package and their presentation of anime is the best on cable TV. No ads in the middle, no edits. From what I read about Witchblade, IFC is probably the only venue that could run it uncut. I've seen mixed reviews of Speed Grapher and know next to nothing about Hell Girl.

But the new acquisitions demonstrate that IFC is planning to stay in the TV anime game, and that it had found success with its first three series.

As to why IFC hasn't rerun Gunslinger Girl or Basilisk, it may be because lots of people would find the girls difficult to comprehend or would be put off by the whole central idea of turning young girls into cyborg killers. And although Basilisk was technically excellent, I think its downer of an ending put off a lot of people and impaired its replay value, even though the ending didn't come as a surprise.

Pity for Adult Swim that they didn't land Witchblade, though, because I think it would be a series with appeal to casual viewers and those who recall the live-action TV series or are familiar with the comic. (^_*)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 14666
Location: The Bannered Mare
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
v1cious wrote:

i don't know if you've seen the american Speed Grapher, but it's WAY worse than the Japanese one.


If you are referring to the dub I know Theron mentioned the English dub was the ONLY good thing about Speed Grapher. I for one love the series and watched it in Japanese since it takes place in Japan, but I know that there were really strong opinions about the quality of the dub surpassing the Japanese track.


Count me in the crowd that enjoyed the English dub more. I also didn't find the show itself as bad as many others claimed. Then again, I suppose I have lower standards and am easier to entertain. What can I say? I also enjoyed the extras where Bevins went into detail about how he cast the various characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
billyarnie



Joined: 03 Dec 2007
Posts: 190
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
I get IFC in my satellite package and their presentation of anime is the best on cable TV. No ads in the middle, no edits. From what I read about Witchblade, IFC is probably the only venue that could run it uncut. I've seen mixed reviews of Speed Grapher and know next to nothing about Hell Girl.

But the new acquisitions demonstrate that IFC is planning to stay in the TV anime game, and that it had found success with its first three series.

Pity for Adult Swim that they didn't land Witchblade, though, because I think it would be a series with appeal to casual viewers and those who recall the live-action TV series or are familiar with the comic. (^_*)

When I saw the 1st episode of Witchblade streamed, I geeked out. This geezer is familiar with the Top Cow comic, though I haven't read it much, just seen the covers. I hated the TNT TV series because of the lack of fanservice. Emphasizing the drama was fine; could you have given us just a Little spandex or something like Xena's armor?! Putting a sword on her arm was lame.
I'm "so very happy" (Mr. Cho's line) to see that Witchblade has the comic fanservice & yet has a strong storyline. I have the 1st 2 DVD's & it looks like I'll have to get the rest. IFC is only carried on Satellite systems, AT&T's U-verse & Digital Cable. AT&T carries IFC only on their top 2 tiers & I don't want to pay $20 more a month over their 3rd tier just for IFC. As for Digital Cable, Time Warner's pricing is confusing & I will still be paying more than standard cable just to get IFC & other channels that I don't know if we will watch.
I think [adult swim] missed the boat Big-Time! Witchblade could have been on at 1:00 AM (12:00 CT) & re-aired at 4:30 (3:30 CT) & the people like me who wanted to watch or tape it could without offending parents. Instead, they get Code Geass; yet ANOTHER giant robot show from Bandai/Sunrise! Code Geass did get almost 4 times the posts that Witchblade did, so the message board buzz was significantly higher. However, IMO, [adult swim] is more afraid of backlash from offended female otaku than backlash from offended parents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 647
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Witchblade shows on IFC Jan 4.

herbkir wrote:

As to why IFC hasn't rerun Gunslinger Girl or Basilisk, it may be because lots of people would find the girls difficult to comprehend or would be put off by the whole central idea of turning young girls into cyborg killers. And although Basilisk was technically excellent, I think its downer of an ending put off a lot of people and impaired its replay value, even though the ending didn't come as a surprise.


Basilisk returns to IFC Jan. 10.

Is there a connection between Fuse and IFC? Because I noticed Fuse has started to show The Henry Rollins Show and they also show The Whitest Kids U' Know both of which are shown on IFC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Nobuyuki



Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 516
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Is there a connection between Fuse and IFC?

They're both owned by Cablevision Systems, IIRC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group