• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Air DVD 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
This show is next on my Netflix list. Right after all of the Ah!/Oh! My Goddess.
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
A lot of series that I dismiss at first always become among my favorites when I give them a second chance. The biggest instance had to be Rahxephon (which is probably my favorite anime), but Air is a strong second in that department. I had initially dismissed it after watching the first two episodes on fansub. I heard so many good things about it that when it came out on DVD I decided to give it another shot. I'm glad I picked it up. In my opinion it is one of the best of its genre.

Monica Rial and Luci Christian do turn in very solid performances. I don't know how it would have impacted me had I watched it through in Japanese, but it was very touching and heart-wrenching in English. I don't think anything would have been lost on me had I watched it either way.

The funny thing is watching this I've decided to give another series a chance, Kanon 2006. I never watched Kanon 2006, but I watched the original and found it to be pretty weak. Thanks to Air I already have the first two volumes of Kanon pre-ordered.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
This review pretty much nailed what I felt about these episodes of Air. I had to laugh at times it was so close to what I thought.

Quote:
The funny thing is watching this I've decided to give another series a chance, Kanon 2006. I never watched Kanon 2006, but I watched the original and found it to be pretty weak. Thanks to Air I already have the first two volumes of Kanon pre-ordered.

Nice. I actually went in the opposite order, Kanon 2006 -> Air, but the thought process was the same. I scoffed at Air originally, but after watching Kanon 2006 I came back to Air and really enjoyed it. I'll be buying both, and I too have Kanon preordered.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
Heretic wrote:

Kanon 2006 is miles ahead of the old one in terms of quality. It did however, start the 'crying game' genre of Visual Novels, so the characters of Kanon have had their personality traits.... emulated by other VN-Anime characters. It's still a fantastic watch. The 26 episode layout means more time to flesh out the characters, whereas the old one was very much Kanon: Abridged.

As for me, I originally stopped watching AIR after the third episode, due to downloading problems. I decided it was a must buy because I loved the episodes, but the Kinetic (no choices) Novel Planetarian (also by KEY) clinched the deal for me. Never have I cried as much as I did with Planetarian.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
I knew Misuzu and Haruko would eventually win over the reviewer from his initial opinion of the show!

Thank you so much for giving this wonderful show a second chance!

Yay for Air! Gao for forever!

mk2000
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
Ah, yes, Aozora. That song never fails to make me cry, whether I'm watching the episode or just hear it playing somewhere else. Anime cry
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quote
I really was amazed at how much this series turned around for me. That song sounded like The Rose to me as well, and I even started a thread in the music section here after finishing the DVD.

I was rather skeptic after finishing the first volume, but fortunately had already ordered the next volume. The first volume just felt too much like a dating sim with all the random girls who fit various roles typically found.

It feels as though this DVD came out long ago since the 4th DVD and the movie have both arrived since then. I enjoy the month gap between volumes that ADV and Funimation has been doing recently since I tend to forget what happens between DVDs.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote
Ah, it's all been released?! Maybe I'll have a box set to buy when I get back from Japan. >D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Air is a wonderful series and had a great ending.

spoiler[I cried during the last episode when Misuzu died. The song Aozora just made it all that more sader, I tear up whenever I listen to it. Lia has a wonderful voice.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I rented this from Netflix and watched all 3 volumes on Saturday (I am waiting on Volume 4). I definitely will be picking it up, but I kinda felt the way Chris Beveridge of Anime on DVD did when he said, "What's the point?". I don't want to give out spoilers, you have to see it to understand. This was definitely a sad show, bordering on depressing with that ending. Luci Christian definitely stole the show with her powerful performance as Haruko in the dub, though.
youngavatar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
one of the best show i ever watch. im thinking of buying it when they boxset
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
I watched this series' for the first time when it was fairly new, and thought it was pretty darn good, even though it isn't in my usual genre-range I gave it a high-ranking in my mind. It's a series that I don't want to imagine not having seen.
I showed it again at the Anime Society at my Uni this year (through fansubs, since it wasn't fully released yet) and everyone there seemed to like it too, even those who would never have watched it otherwise.

I was pretty surprised that a particular friend of mine enjoyed the series' so much. I didn't have him down as the type, but now I think I'll get him the first volume for Christmas.
That or something Street Fighter related. Very Happy

I'll certainly be picking this entire series up for myself when I can get the monies together.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
From what you've all been telling me, the English dub sounds incredible. I really have to see it to believe it.

I've watched the entire series, including the two specials and the movie, in Japanese. It really tugs at the heartstrings. It could make even the most stalwart person shed a tear. It scared me how it made me cry, but I guess it could be contributed to the fact that I knew exactly what Misuzu was going through (not having a lot of friends to talk to and feeling internally miserable). Plus, I can't get enough of Tori no Uta.

Speaking of Kanon 2006, I just started watching that after I finished the original Kanon. It is quite an improvement, and I'm anxious to see if they did any scenes differently.

Since we're on the subject of Key's work, anyone seen Clannad yet?
Mimi Misuzu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Air, I watch so many series at a time but I wasn't too surprised when I found myself going back to watch Air again.
I love it so much Anime cry I now have an obsession with saying "nihaha" and "gao" Anime hyper
No anime character has inspired me as much as Misuzu has, to work hard and achieve my goals
I now also have an obsession with anime angels, and my walls are covered with Misuzu Anime hyper and other anime
Aozora never fails to make me cry either, I have even learnt the words, English and Japanese.
Wow I always post in forums about Air but never have I said this much
hmm ^-^ well, to finish, anyone who hasn't seen Air should go watch it.. now
oh! And I am currently watching Kanon 2006 which I find very similar to Air. Its still really good though, afterwards I'm going to watch Clannad which is a new one I think from the same makers

[Do not bold your entire post, there is no good reason to do so. -selenta]
LizzyPie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad he got around to reviewing this volume. After the review of vol. 1, I really wanted to see if he'd fall in love with the show the way so many of us had. It still goes down as one of my all time favorites and I stick it on whenever I want a good cry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2