• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Goes with More Genshiken

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Finally, it is official!! Thanks MB for that release, I am impatient to see!
A must buy!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see how they handle language and cultural jokes in episode 10 with English dub. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
will they be throwing the OVA in with this to, I would think so, since they have it licensed to but he only confirmed release of the second season.
Okina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Expect the OAV to come with the Kujibiki Unbalance TV series which MB announced back at AX. One episode per volume...just like visa versa during the first Genshiken season.

As for language and cultural jokes, well they did do inserts during the first season and historically MB has been good about explaining specifics about Japanese culture via liner notes and extras on the DVD. About the only company that may be better than that is Animeigo. I'd expect this to continue.

Hey glad to hear this, I'll be looking forward to this too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I expected this, but I also expecting them to confirm Doujin Work as well.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Boy, those hints must have been real strong. I already thought this was confirmed. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyway good to hear it finally is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedTail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Okina wrote:
Expect the OAV to come with the Kujibiki Unbalance TV series which MB announced back at AX. One episode per volume...just like visa versa during the first Genshiken season.

Considering I have about zero interest in Kuji-Un, this is pretty depressing. I don't know if I could bring myself to buy several volumes of a show for which I don't care in order to see the Genshiken OVA.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
AnimeonDVD also posted they've begun an unnamed corproduction with Phoenix Entertainment, who've worked mostly on OVA's, including several of MB's existing titles like Giant Robo.

http://www.phoenix-ent.co.jp/
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Good news! I wish some company would pick up the license for Genshiken for the the UK/Ireland. Actually, I'd love if Media Blasters to set up shop over here!
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Sue and Angela will speak Spanish but that would kind of change the story. =/
ruro niko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if they released the OVAs as a separate volume, instead of my having to buy all of Kuji-Un and sticking it in the middle of 1 and 2. Still, I'll be happy as long as I get it all. Season 2 has been impressing me so far.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Okina wrote:
As for language and cultural jokes, well they did do inserts during the first season and historically MB has been good about explaining specifics about Japanese culture via liner notes and extras on the DVD. About the only company that may be better than that is Animeigo. I'd expect this to continue.

Apparently you didn't have a grip on what I was talking about. Rolling Eyes Same thing happened before in Sakura Wars: The Movie, and hamtaroboy2006 got the idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the few recent sequel seasons I've been glad to hear about. I hope it's handled as well as the first season was.
Okina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Okina wrote:

Apparently you didn't have a grip on what I was talking about. Rolling Eyes Same thing happened before in Sakura Wars: The Movie, and hamtaroboy2006 got the idea.

Ah, okay so that's what you were getting at, and having read the manga, I am pretty sure now of what you're talking about. My mistake. Although an easy find of ep 10 isn't out there (you know what I mean).

Something similar happens with Ana in Strawberry Marshmallow. When Ana is trying to "speak english" in the dub, it sort of sounds like what you'd hear when a Japanese person is learning english and slowly speaking out each syllable. Yup this is a Geneon thing too, like the Sakura Wars Movie was. I guess the thing is to play it consistently which Zac seemed to take issue with in his review of the movie.

One thing that I did notice was that when those scenes in Strawberry Marshmallow played out, you saw a "<speaking>" soft sub appear on the top of the screen. I guess that's one way to handle it. If anyone else has a thought feel free. But I think this worked out in a no win situation.

Either that or you could turn the tables and actually use Japanese.

Maybe it's along the same lines as an english speaking person loudly sounding out their syllables to someone who they believe doesn't know the language (of course that doesn't really help).

Last edited by Okina on Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Hoorah. I love this series! <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2