• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey, Marvel to Collaborate on X-Men, Wolverine

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Well.....I did not see this one comming
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"X-Men meets Fruits Basket or Ouran High School Host Club"

That is possibly the strangest mash-up I've seen in a while.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Xmen shojo? I think I might have just puked in my mouth a bit.
so whats going to happen- all of the guys with freaky powers love her but she can't choose?

I think X-men and I think angst and action. Not sunshine and buttflies. I'm hoping the X-men fanboys don't hear about this for awhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Keen! X-men has a long, long, long history with Manga and Manga-influenced artists, so it's not a total surprise. Dave Roman and Raina are excellent writers [and artists! Raina does the Baby Sitters Club Gn's for Scholastic], so this is nothing but win in my book.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first, X-Men, was described as a shoujo title - "X-Men meets Fruits Basket or Ouran High School Host Club" according to one panelist - features Xavier's Institute for Higher Learning as an all-boys' school, with the only female student being Kitty Pryde.

I'll buy this just for the novelty.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Definately sounds interesting. But why make her the only girl in an all boys school...? That aspect of the plot sounds a tad dumb to me. (But then again, maybe I don't read as much shojo as I think I do?) In any case, I'll probably check it out. You never know until you try it. Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. Why not just expand on Scott and Jean's relationship, if they want to go shoujo?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Xmen shojo? I think I might have just puked in my mouth a bit.
so whats going to happen- all of the guys with freaky powers love her but she can't choose?

I think X-men and I think angst and action. Not sunshine and buttflies. I'm hoping the X-men fanboys don't hear about this for awhile.

Been reading X-men for..... 13? years, and I'm not shocked about it.

We've had several X-men manga before, and artists like Joe Mad, Frank Miller, Chris Bachalo, Art Adams, etc have all done manga-ish styles on X-men for ages, so it's not a total shock. There was a pretty fun issue of Excalibur from around 1989 where the team [then stuck in a longrunning plot line where they were travelling across alternate universes] landed in a world that was more or less The Dirty Pair's universe.

There's been japanese manga artists on X-men over the past 10 years such as the creator of Blame, Kia Asiyama, as well as a manga adaption of the X-men animated series that ran in Japan and was translated by Marvel in 1997/1998.

As for flowery X-men, well, Romance is a fairly common theme in X-men (Rogue/Gambit angst has been a prime writer's staple for what, 16 years now? I know WAY too many Rogue/Gambit fangirls), as is humour, and teenagers [New Mutants, Generation X], and strong female characters (which seems to be writer Chris Claremont's favorite fixation).
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:
Definately sounds interesting. But why make her the only girl in an all boys school...? That aspect of the plot sounds a tad dumb to me. (But then again, maybe I don't read as much shojo as I think I do?) In any case, I'll probably check it out. You never know until you try it. Razz

No that sounds pretty silly to me. It seems pretty typical shojo though. Though I think I'd rather see it as a coed boarding school. I think the different love triangles would be much more interesting coming out of that kind of situation.

I'll at least have to take a look at this when it comes out though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:

So we can have Cross Dressing Kitty Pryde?
Given the series is set in a school [and there's been at least one X-men spinoff series focused on "teenage mutants going to school and their trials and tribulations" since New Mutants, likewise the 60's version], it's a pretty logical setting. It sounds like they're going for an alternate universe story, which is pretty common for X-men spinoffs too.

I'm just thankful it's Shojo Kitty Pryde [which makes a lot of sense. Kitty's darned cute], and not more "Skanky Manga Time" Jean Grey/Madeline Pryor comics. [http://comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=17966 circa 2003]

DelRey/Marvel, can we have a Mystique/Destiny Yuri manga now?

Or howabout an SD-style X-Babies manga? http://comics.org/series.lasso?SeriesID=3838
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I dunno. Why not just expand on Scott and Jean's relationship, if they want to go shoujo?

Cause Jean Grey's dead [again]?
There's so many romantic couples in X-men, I imagine it's hard to pick just one.......

Last edited by Paploo on Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I like that idea much better, actually.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
[and there's been at least one X-men spinoff series focused on "teenage mutants going to school and their trials and tribulations" since New Mutants, likewise the 60's version]
You talking about X-men Revolution? I rather liked that show. Mostly I'm saying that I'd like to have more of the girl characters in the series, like Rogue, especially.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I am frightened.

Well, if we think of this as a completely separate project from X-Men, just aimed for girls, it sounds interesting. However, I AM getting major "Evangelion: Angelic Days" vibes from this.

I am curious. Curiosity killed the cat, but I will be prodding.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Paploo:
Quote:
Cause Jean Grey's dead [again]?

Heh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5