• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey, Marvel to Collaborate on X-Men, Wolverine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I think Japan and manga have been influencing American comics for longer than most people realize. Again, this is why I laugh when I see new artists and high schoolers act like somehow they discovered something new with creating comics inspired by manga. People like Frank Miller or even the founding artists at Image have been doing it for decades. They were making manga inspired comics way before it was ever cool to say so by calling your own work just 'manga'.

Also, Marvel published manga years before stuff like TokyoPop even formed. Back in the 80s Marvel released Akira through their Epic line. I even found tossed in a dollar bin at a record store a copy of Otomo's Memories Magnetic Rose manga published by Marvel / Epic. I was amazed.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
shojou x-men, shojou wolverine........... ok......... thats a bit of a nightmare..........

this is almost like the kind of thing japanese doujishi would do........ before u know, they might even have yaoi x-men.......... shivering

There's nothing wrong with "shoujo meets x-men", but wouldn't it be more convenient if it was x-men shonen-jump style since x-men was originally intended for young kids interested in action.

But I'm dying to see shoujo wolverine, with the bishonen look , the "dreamy" eyes, the curly eyelashes, and the puckered lips Laughing
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I'm speachless.....

Are you referring to Marvel Mecha [I have a Storm giant robot made around 1996. She snaps in the pilot seat. It's keen!], or the Gambit/Rogue angstfest thing? Because that's the real, actual storyline from the comics more or less.

Gambit gets kidnapped a lot [and/or turns evil], Rogue angsts, they break up, make up, her Mom rotates between good guy and bad guy, and keeps trying to hook Rogue up with new guys. With periodic moments of Mystique angsting over her dead girlfriend, Destiny.

[though I have a feeling the X-men shojo manga will be less angsty then the actual current comics]
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I'm speachless.....

Are you referring to Marvel Mecha [I have a Storm giant robot made around 1996. She snaps in the pilot seat. It's keen!], or the Gambit/Rogue angstfest thing? Because that's the real, actual storyline from the comics more or less.

Gambit gets kidnapped a lot [and/or turns evil], Rogue angsts, they break up, make up, her Mom rotates between good guy and bad guy, and keeps trying to hook Rogue up with new guys. With periodic moments of Mystique angsting over her dead girlfriend, Destiny.

Of course not forgetting the biggest reason for their angsty relationship in the first place, that of not being able to actually touch Rogue...
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
But I'm dying to see shoujo wolverine, with the bishonen look , the "dreamy" eyes, the curly eyelashes, and the puckered lips Laughing

Johnston's stated elsewhere that the Wolverine series will be a shonen series. I just wish they'd tell us who the artist is already.

Oh.. and each one is only two volumes long. Confused
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

Of course not forgetting the biggest reason for their angsty relationship in the first place, that of not being able to actually touch Rogue...

Lest he go in a coma for ever! [well, usually he's gotten better. Ms.Marvel got better!]. That's why I refer to him as "Super Rogue's Boyfriend, Remy LeBeau". You tend to see Rogue operating on her own occasionally without him, but not vice versa it seems..... [Rogue wins major for being one of the few villans-to-heroes who's never ever switched back Anime smile I'm looking at you, Professor Magneto!]
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
LostPhrack wrote:
Oh.. and each one is only two volumes long. Confused

I think it's partly that it's an experiment...... we'll see more of they do well, whether a continuation of those stories, or new ones. That, and like any other X-men title, it's just one part of a large universe- I imagine readers of these titles may/may not check out similar Marvel fare, be it classic X-men collections [those Essentials are a darned good deal], Marvel's existign range of digest sized titles, or stuff heavily aimed at the same agerange/makeup as the manga reading populace like Runaways.

I think it's also part of keeping the stories selfcontained- part of the appeal of manga is actually giving it an ending. [keep in mind though that X-men is a franchise like Gundam- relauncing, spinoff, remaking all the time, though the difference is that X-men's original continuity is still the focus, while Gundam's current focus is on alternate reality remakes.... though X-men keeps their own version of that going with the movies, and Animated series. I imagine part of this push is appealing to the similarly theme X-men Evolution fandom, as well as the upcoming launch of the new X-men Children of the Atom animated series, both of which feature Kitty Pryde heavily. So she's not just a classic geek standard, but a modern one too!]
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Lest he go in a coma for ever! [well, usually he's gotten better. Ms.Marvel got better!]. That's why I refer to him as "Super Rogue's Boyfriend, Remy LeBeau". You tend to see Rogue operating on her own occasionally without him, but not vice versa it seems.....

Remy goes off on his own pretty often too.

Anyway, the closet thing Marvel has out right now that I can think of is Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. But that series didn't try to change the story; it's just from a different perspective. And it was also remarkably well written by Sean McKeever.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:

Remy goes off on his own pretty often too.
Anyway, the closet thing Marvel has out right now that I can think of is Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. But that series didn't try to change the story; it's just from a different perspective. And it was also remarkably well written by Sean McKeever.

I think my mind's still stuck on X-Treme X-men, which was pretty trashy glossy action stuff in the middle of Morrison's fun "crazy idea" run, and the swanky pop stylings (and constant deaths, well except for Doop) in X-Statix/X-Force of that timeframe. [it was nice that XtX-men was biweekly for most of it's run though]. It seemed like Gambit's sole purpose in that title was to get knocked out so Rogue could blow up things emotionally......

Spiderman Loves Mary Jane is pretty cute, though I'm a bigger fan of Spidergirl [which though not exactly manga style, is fun in that it has really consistent, stylized art from Pat Oliffe and Ron Lim, and a nicely selfcontained universe set in Marvel's future, so it's just story+character, no crossovers..... I think the digest collections are what keeps it from ending :)]
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
X-Men meets Fruits Baskets? Are they crazy? Ouran Hosts Club and X-Men should never be mentioned together unless it's due to a funny .gif like this:

I mean have you guys even SEEN the characters been released yet here?

Wolverine:
http://animemedia.ign.com/anime/image/article/840/840435/nyaf-x-men-and-wolverine-manga-due-20071209023732177-000.jpg

Jean Grey:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa315/omnigamerNYC/JeanGreyAnime1.jpg

There isn't enough fire in the world to burn this from my eyes. Nay Marvel, I say burn this idea. Burn it down, and salt the ground so a similar concept will ever ever come to pass.

Last edited by The Frankman on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

Wolverine:
http://animemedia.ign.com/anime/image/article/840/840435/nyaf-x-men-and-wolverine-manga-due-20071209023732177-000.jpg

Jean Grey:

There isn't enough fire in the world to burn this from my eyes. Nay Marvel, I say burn this idea. Burn it down, and salt the ground so a similar concept will ever ever come to pass.

I dunno, I kind of like the pictures. /shrug
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

Wolverine:

Jean Grey:

I dunno, I kind of like the pictures. /shrug

Uh, yeah. Wolverine=HOT

Of course, this says nothing about the plot. I'm willing to give it a shot.
taavimon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Kitty's creator [Claremont]

Actually, Kitty was John Byrne's creation.

As a fan of both X-Men and Fruits Basket, I'll give the series a shot. Not too crazy about having a bishounen Wolverine, though.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Kitty was actually a cocreation. Anyhoo.....

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=139197

More concept art from Anzu has popped up. I could see this being a bit of an adventure shojo manga as well. Anzu's also had work published in shojo magazines in Singapore.

http://www.newsarama.com/DelRey/MystiqueConceptArt.jpg
I rather like the Mystique. It'll be interesting to see if the version of Wolverine gets used [ Wolverine's so busy appearing in a dozen other comics a month, mabye he traveled through time and drafted his teen self?]. Overall, it's pretty distinctive, while working with the current shojo/shonen hybrid look you see ina lot of adventure anime nowadays. Mind you, the fact that 2009 is two years away and "Art Not Final" is slapped on these makes me guess these were part of Anzu's tryout, so might not represent characters actually appearing in Dave/Raina's story.

It's also interesting to note that Del Rey has primary editorial control on these titles, which should allow the creators lots of leeway.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
It's also interesting to note that Del Rey has primary editorial control on these titles, which should allow the creators lots of leeway.

Damn you Marvel, why couldn't you just PICK who you wanted doing the series like the old days?

ichiro3923 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with "shoujo meets x-men", but wouldn't it be more convenient if it was x-men shonen-jump style since x-men was originally intended for young kids interested in action.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5