• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Firm Fined for Copying Advent Children in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
HMMcKamikaze wrote:
Sounds like plagiarism of "Moonlight Sonata" also.

That's Für Elise :p

Ugh, I've never been good with the names. I just know if I've heard them before. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember Tifa bursting out into song and dancing. Oh...wait.

Nor do I remember Tifa in Advent Childern spoiler[winning that fight.]

Otherwise yeah it looks the same. But is it really something to sue over when it seems like they're parsing you art?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I think the song is itself takes from the public domain... It's hard to plagiarize music that old. If you could, dear old Pachelbel's estate would be making millions to this day.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if Square-Enix helped make this video or not a long time ago, but I guess I have my answer now.

It makes sense why they sued them, they didn't ask permission to use the scene-for-scene remake in the video, and that is copyright infringement. I remember thinking that this video was eventually going to get caught if Squeenix never gave them permission. Anyway, this makes perfect sense to me. If she's making money off of it, ofcourse they're going to sue. Fans usually don't make a whole lot of money from making fan videos or doujinshi, stuff like that, so normally companies don't attack just the average human population for something like that.

However, this Korean singer seems to be fairly popular, so it was bound to happen.
kei-clone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
there's a difference between a regular fan video that makes no profit and a video like this which is used for commercial purposes. come on guys it was a direct ripoff. Whatever good intentions they had they should have asked Square Enix first before they pulled this
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Does Korea not have a copyright loophole for parody?

The Music Video isn't a parody even in it's loosest sense:

Wikipedia wrote:
In contemporary usage, a Parody (or Lampoon) is a work that imitates another work in order to ridicule, ironically comment on, or poke some affectionate fun at the work itself, the subject of the work, the author or fictional voice of the parody, or another subject.
miggie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
They are doing this because they are Korean. Remember the Japanese don't like the Koreans. If Gackt or some American artist did this they would be signing their praises. Evil or Very Mad
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, this is going to stoke the Japanese/Korean online flames.

Too bad the video directors had to go with that. It's a pretty good song as K-pop goes too. Though when you hear it thousands of times on the radio and played in stores it starts getting kind of annoying.

EDIT:
miggie wrote:
They are doing this because they are Korean. Remember the Japanese don't like the Koreans. If Gackt or some American artist did this they would be signing their praises. Evil or Very Mad

Wow, what did I just say? I've learned enough to stay out of these things. When the nationalism starts rational thought goes out the window.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
kei-clone wrote:
there's a difference between a regular fan video that makes no profit and a video like this which is used for commercial purposes. come on guys it was a direct ripoff. Whatever good intentions they had they should have asked Square Enix first before they pulled this

agreed, how did free fansubs or in a broad sense amv if copyrighted music is used become a key pt in defending this.

the look of the characters are similar, the background is similar and the the key action pts like tifa being thrown the the wall and bouncing back and being thrown to the flowers not considered plagiarizing.

it may not have mattered over small amounts of money but a big star like ivy and crew plagiarizing this means square enix is not making any money over this and you would do the same too if someone used your work to profit off of.
Aikoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. It's not the first time that plagiarism has happened in the Asian music industry.

HMMcKamikaze wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:
HMMcKamikaze wrote:
Sounds like plagiarism of "Moonlight Sonata" also.

That's Für Elise :p

Ugh, I've never been good with the names. I just know if I've heard them before. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Für Elise is a completely separate piece. It was Moonlight Sonata that you were thinking of.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
miggie wrote:

Let's not sink in to baseless accusations of xenophobia or racism or nationalism or whatever other prejudices might get tossed around here. Feel free to back up the claim with some statistics or information that may support your claims or even experiences or trends you've noticed to at least give something more to discuss than baseless finger pointing that says little more than "they're mean".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Agreed with the comment against baseless xenophobia. Advent Children was a very popular movie in Korea, just as Gemul (The Host) is popular in Japan at the moment.

I first heard this song on the public bus, and actually liked it a fair amount. When I saw the video, I was wondering how long it would take for a lawsuit. It's pretty obvious that SquareEnix would never give permission to include THAT much in a song that wasn't connected to the movie itself.
tissuebubble

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Well worth the 16k they lost in the lawsuit. Great video. Smile
Yuuichi Aizawa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Man, I heard about this like...a year ago, or close to it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
The record company's actually really lucky, because SQ'ENIX could've hung the execs out to dry by demanding millions in compensation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4