• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Firm Fined for Copying Advent Children in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Xanas:
Quote:
Think of it like this. If I license software under the GPL and someone uses my code and makes a buggy version of my program with a few extra features. When the users come back and complain to me instead of the guy who created the buggy version, I'll tell them "I don't support that."

But if they paid for it beforehand, assuming you did support it, then aren't they being ripped off?

Quote:
GATSU, would you say that the Japanese companies & music industry endorse AMVs?

Not really, but they're more willing to let it slide, because it's non-profit.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

But if they paid for it beforehand, assuming you did support it, then aren't they being ripped off?

People should never assume that anything from a third party to the original creator is going to be supported by that person. If they did pay for it they'd be ripped off perhaps, but not by me but instead the one who sold them the broken copy.

Quote:

The law disagrees and that's really all that matters. The debate is moot. You think plagiarism is wrong in that if they say it's their own work but isn't, but don't see why a company would have a problem with this? They ARE saying the work is their own without giving money to square or getting their permission first. I would say, in business terms, that is definitely what it equates to.

The debate is moot in court. The entire discussion here is moot for that matter, every single post here. I'm not denying that my point in this situation isn't going to change things on it's own. It's still my perspective and yes, I am in disagreement with the law. Though I am delusional, I'm not nearly delusional enough to actually think my POV is actually going to make law. Neither is your POV going to make the law stay as it is or change. This being said, collectively opinions can change things (we are mostly under democratic governments after all) and this is why I say what I do. I realize many people disagree with me. I just ask that they question why they disagree with me instead of always going back to "the law." Laws are many times unjust, and many times deserving of change.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Xanas:
Quote:
People should never assume that anything from a third party to the original creator is going to be supported by that person.

They shouldn't, but they do.

Quote:
If they did pay for it they'd be ripped off perhaps, but not by me but instead the one who sold them the broken copy.

And if they sued your ass over said product, would you be happy?
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
People can sue for anything, but they'd end up losing horribly. Can you tell me of any successful lawsuits involving software that defeated the disclaimer? Microsoft hasn't heard of it apparently. They and pretty much everyone seem to get by just fine with the very clearly stated "no warranty" clause.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Xanas:
Quote:
Can you tell me of any successful lawsuits involving software that defeated the disclaimer? Microsoft hasn't heard of it apparently.

Um, they just lost against the EU.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Xanas:
Quote:
Can you tell me of any successful lawsuits involving software that defeated the disclaimer? Microsoft hasn't heard of it apparently.

Um, they just lost against the EU.

What was this case about? Are you talking about anti-trust litigation or are you talking about the warranty clauses? Please provide a link as I'm kind of unsure what you are referring to here.

If this is in fact a case concerning the no warranty clause I'll need more details than "they lost."

I just did a google search for this "EU won" thing and yeah it's about the anti-trust case. That's a totally different topic.

Even if this were a case about the "no warranty" clause you'd still be off base because you are saying someone could bring a case based on derivative software and not the copy that you released. Microsoft losing in such a case would not even be close to the same thing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Technically, it is similar, because their defective software screws up everyone else's software. Rolling Eyes
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Technically, it is similar, because their defective software screws up everyone else's software. Rolling Eyes

It's kind of hard for me to tell what you mean by this. If by this you are saying because microsoft is a monopoly they screw up everyone elses software then I guess that's sort of true. At least I hate the fact that I have to reboot for some games that I want to play Sad

Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4