• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Madman Newsletter and Acquisitions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjgeo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
That can't be good for TNT. Wasn't Black Lagoon supposed to be their big series to get brand awareness?

It's a shame. We really could do with more companines releasing anime over here instead of relying on Madman for all the big series.
Codain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote
I think that this is the collapse of TNT. Signs would be the fact the website has yet to be completed (or updated), titles were not released and series like Tokyo Underground were very poor.

This now gives way to Madman being the only Anime Licensor within Australia / New Zealand as Siren Visual and TNT can't be expected to really acquire distribution licenses for many more series in the future.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
TNT certainly started out promising enough, however their fate was pretty much sealed with Geneon's collapse.
I find it a shame considering since they did start out on the right foot and deffinately presented themselves better than Siren ever had.

I do hope a new company or something emerges to actually rival madman one day. We certainly need some competition in our region, and it might actually motivate madman to listen to the fans more and get in some of the lesser titles instead of only whats big and will sell.
Kirben

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
Actually Tokyo Night Train did release Volume 1 of Shakugan No Shana, back in March 2007.

Madman Entertainment have licensed most of their older anime titles too:
Dalphine in the Brillant Blue
New Getter Robo
Tokyo Underground

Expect collections of these series in the distant future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Codain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:35 am Reply with quote
Well.. not exactly licensed them. TNT have never really had those rights in the first place. The monopoly of distribution by madman will be felt though (as it already has been).

Hopefully quality wont slide due to this.

Hopefully they can actually give Black Lagoon the exposure it deserves instead of butchering it like they did Utawarerumono. Its got a very high potential to grab fans on SBS and replace GITS or Ergo Proxy and will have a more acceptable main stream approach than Haruhi. But I doubt they will... i mean, they passed up on it when they had the chance the first time round.
munkah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
What's wrong with their release of Utawarerumono? I was quite excited to see they're going to release it here.
Codain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Heavily Delayed. Because of that, they packaged it all into a single Box Set (which is kinda kewl) but havn't given it a chance to take off. I mean, go and ask people in the Australian Anime Community if they know of Utawarerumono and if they knew Madman has got the distributor license for it. Most wouldn't have a clue even though this WAS one of the top series of 2006 (note, 2006... not 2007).
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Codain wrote:
Heavily Delayed. Because of that, they packaged it all into a single Box Set (which is kinda kewl) but havn't given it a chance to take off. I mean, go and ask people in the Australian Anime Community if they know of Utawarerumono and if they knew Madman has got the distributor license for it. Most wouldn't have a clue even though this WAS one of the top series of 2006 (note, 2006... not 2007).

Usually when a fatpack is done straight up, it means that the title will have limited appeal. Kino's journey had this, and if I remember correctly Utawarerumono was good, but not highly sought after.

Dude, just be happy that you can purchase and support what you think is a awesome series. Isn't that enough?
Codain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Well I would actually be more likely to buy the Japanese DVD and add subtitles to it. Translation is still a top priority for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1