• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman: Are you ready for the Fan Girls?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

But I tell ya, what's worse than yaoi fanfiction are the self-insertion fanfictions. Egotistical garbage where the author inserts herself into the story & proceeds to warp the characters' personalities so that they all bow down and kiss said inserted author's feet. Typically the author also seems to enjoy inserting herself as an angel-winged furry. Or a vampire (even in anime where vampires are wildly inappropriate...like Fruits Basket!). Explain that one.

As much as I am NOT a fan of fanfiction (altho I support doujinshi, mainly because of the artistic component), the FUNNIEST example of a self-insert I've seen was by the creator of the series. Yuu Watase did a short self-insert "fic" of Fushigi Yuugi where (when she was tired of working on the manga) she got sucked into the FY world, someway I forget she got all the Suzaku seishi to fall in love with her, BUT she loved Nakago who despised and physically repelled her (he's the VILLIAN afterall). Story ends with Watase under her desk daydreaming the rest of her "fanfic" story while her assistants are running around trying to find her to finish materials.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Oh yeah, and just because the genre is shoujo romance, that doesn't mean the plot is completly canon.

No offense, but how in the HECK do you explain that the canon plot is NOT canon? (ie. the plot as written by the author/mangaka is wrong) If you were saying something else, then sorry but fanfic "canon denial" bugs me... a lot.
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
for some of your other choices, the reason CN goes with things like Witch Hunter Robin and Inu-Yasha is because they have things that statistically appeal to both men AND women. While I know plenty of guys that love Boys Over Flowers, that series is unabashedly aimed at women and will turn away a lot of viewers, simply because there’s no action at all. Magic Knight Rayearth has not aged well and looks very old; I don’t think CN would be interested in that. Fushigi Yuugi has the same problem Boys Over Flowers does (focusing more on relationship issues than anything else), although I think it has a better shot since it does have a bit of action in it. Basically, CN tends to go for quality series. Shows they know they can sell to the widest possible audience. Watch Witch Hunter Robin in 2004 and you’ll see what I mean. I think if you focused a little less on what’s directly aimed at you and instead just watched what was good, you’d be a little less perplexed.

I'll just add a little note to this. Another reason why Cartoon Network isn't pursuing shojo anime series more often is because Disney has the young female demograph locked up with shows like "Kim Possible" and such. This is why a majority of the anime shows on CN are more action-oriented. It doesn't mean CN has completely abandoned the female demograph (with shows like "Totally Spies!" in the line-up); it just means they aren't focusing on that demograph because they know it will not net the ratings.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I know this topic is kinda old but I was going throught the 95 Theses against anime fandumb and I found a couple that yaoi obsessed fangirls should read.

60. Don't write fanfic where you're an all-powerful, godlike character who always gets the girl/guy/money/power/candy. Spend some time reading all manner of different fanfic so that you may know and avoid those concepts that are completely played out.

61. In all but the rarest of cases, fanfic is little more than a fun writing excercise; it is not your springboard to a lucrative future career composing speculative novels about Gundam Wing/Weiz Creuz crossover worlds. ( edited to fit fangirl topic. )

79. If you dig yaoi, make no mistake, you are enjoying hentai; there's no distinction between yaoi and hentai. Yaoi hentai may be different from yuri or "straight" material in theme, content, and art style but just because yaoi is prettier doesn't make you somehow better than a yuri or "straight" fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2