• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Appleseed: Ex Machina

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Yooo! Why is there so much anime hate radiating from an anime thread at an anime news site? I guess it's now a given that since Spirited Away, no anime movie need ever think of being worthy for nomination again then, yeah? It's the vibe I'm getting here.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pixar films are generally about showing off more than about pushing the limits of the medium.

Opinion, nothing to validate it.

Quote:
No, they just don't see any technical merits in DW titles. The only stuff they got hard for was from Nick Park.

Nothing to back it. Apparently you can read minds though, or you can't and just demonstrate your own ability to prove your statements without any real information.

Quote:
Sure it applies, because it's like every other Disney musical, but in CG.

Yeah, because it was such a musical and was so similar to The Lion King and Bambi and The Little Mermaid. My god! How could I not see it before?! ... Seriously, could you demonstrate your bias to any greater degree than through this insanely warped point of view you're presenting here?

Even if it were similar it's called a genre. You really think anime doesn't have its fair share or cliches and redundant plot devices? Are you really that blinded by your ridiculous obsessions and bias? People enjoy them, heck, I enjoy them. So they shouldn't be made anymore because you don't and you simply prefer redundant garbage of a different sort? Get over yourself; despite how high and mighty you think your post count makes you I'm afraid you are not god.

Quote:
I don't mind American companies getting involved, as long as they're willing to do something different. That hasn't been the case for a while, though.

There's plenty of differences in american animation that you have simply demonstrated your own ability to ignore. Just like anime itself is filled with cliches and repetition that you also have magically chosen to ignore.
Quote:

AC was able to bring a video game into a realistic setting without having to dumb down the special effects or cut out important parts of the story. Appleseed actually incorporated CG mech into the story, instead of just in the background like that Gundam special.
While I wouldn't call that new or innovative, either, it was definitely a step in a new direction for FX.

I would disagree. AC didn't bring anything in to a realistic setting and frankly I'd say Beowulf and even The Incredibles may have done a better job of that. AC did a wonderful job of bringing a video game in to a Barbie doll setting while completely butchering the story and quality of the source at the same time.

Appleseed did manage to bring mechs in, sure, but I wouldn't call that even slightly innovative or even a new direction. It's little different than Last Exile bringing giant flying battleships into the story.

Now here's the magical deal GATSU since you didn't get it the first few times. If all your going to do is come back by making baseless accusations and attacks, tell me what you say everybody else thinks, demonstrate even more amazing bias or referencing your opinions as fact and using that as your argument then don't bother even replying buddy. If that's all you have to say then don't bother quoting that section and replying because frankly I'm tired of you spamming threads with your repetitive responses that revolve around you and your own little universe in which you are apparently the center. You are also not exempt to the rule regarding one-liners and if those one-liners are simply you saying how something sucks in your eyes with nothing to back that then that is also a violation.

Quote:
Yooo! Why is there so much anime hate radiating from an anime thread at an anime news site? I guess it's now a given that since Spirited Away, no anime movie need ever think of being worthy for nomination again then, yeah? It's the vibe I'm getting here.

This is an anime site but many people here are also fans of animation in general. I think you'll find it's not so much anime hate but rather people responding to the obvious US animation hate tossed around but a few people here. As you said, this is an anime site and we're all fans of anime but some people just take it too far and that's where these arguments come in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, Keonyn thinks anything which is on-topic is acceptable as long as I don't post it.

ikillchicken: I'm not sure how I contradict myself. The video game look can enhance the feel of a film, as long as it doesn't look like a program, but part of the scenery. [See Avalon as a good example.]

Keonyn:
Quote:
Opinion, nothing to validate it.

The fact that people can't tell the difference between Pixar movies validates it.

Quote:
Apparently you can read minds though, or you can't and just demonstrate your own ability to prove your statements without any real information.

I don't know anyone who was excited for Shark Tale as much as they were for the Wallace and Gromit movie. Hell, it did better than Iron Giant, and Bird is considered the best of the Pixar directors.

Quote:
Yeah, because it was such a musical and was so similar to The Lion King and Bambi and The Little Mermaid. My god! How could I not see it before?! ...

Bambi's not a musical. But Pixar films are like Disney musicals in that
they both try to go for the same sentimental tripe aesthetic without actually being fun.

Quote:
You really think anime doesn't have its fair share or cliches and redundant plot devices? Are you really that blinded by your ridiculous obsessions and bias? People enjoy them, heck, I enjoy them.

Yes, but anime is willing to change with the times.

Quote:

I would disagree. AC didn't bring anything in to a realistic setting and frankly I'd say Beowulf and even The Incredibles may have done a better job of that. AC did a wonderful job of bringing a video game in to a Barbie doll setting while completely butchering the story and quality of the source at the same time.

The landscapes and buildings in AC have far more originality and detail than the generic locations you see in Beowulf and The Incredibles. But hey, the latter two are in CG, so they're brilliant. Also, the original FF7 was a rush-job, so being able to finish it the way it should've been finished served to enhance the story.

Quote:
Appleseed did manage to bring mechs in, sure, but I wouldn't call that even slightly innovative or even a new direction. It's little different than Last Exile bringing giant flying battleships into the story.

Perhaps, but Last Exile's another Laputa wannabe, while Appleseed bothered actually tackling near future themes.

Quote:
If that's all you have to say then don't bother quoting that section and replying because frankly I'm tired of you spamming threads with your repetitive responses that revolve around you and your own little universe in which you are apparently the center. You are also not exempt to the rule regarding one-liners and if those one-liners are simply you saying how something sucks in your eyes with nothing to back that then that is also a violation.

Isn't there a rule against threatening people on here, too? Or are your opinions the only ones which are valid?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently, Keonyn thinks anything which is on-topic is acceptable as long as I don't post it.

Have I edited or touched your posts so far? You may be on-topic but you're not discussing anything, you're just telling people they're wrong by citing your opinion over and over again or some other random made up bit of info you decided to present as a fact.

Quote:
The fact that people can't tell the difference between Pixar movies validates it.

What people? I've never met a soul who can't tell the difference. So you see, that doesn't make it fact. That's the problem, your opinion and a few people you met doesn't make one single thing a fact.

Quote:
I don't know anyone who was excited for Shark Tale as much as they were for the Wallace and Gromit movie. Hell, it did better than Iron Giant, and Bird is considered the best of the Pixar directors.

Who cares about Shark Tale? We're talking about Shrek.

Quote:
Bambi's not a musical. But Pixar films are like Disney musicals in that
they both try to go for the same sentimental tripe aesthetic without actually being fun.

Not fun to who? You? Who cares? It's fun to some people or they wouldn't draw in the crowds they do. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean a damn thing. There's people that don't like anime, so what then? Does that mean they should pop in to use this dislike as proof that Japanese animation is horrible? I'm willing to bet you'd fight tooth and nail if your same flawed bias logic was used against you.

Quote:
Yes, but anime is willing to change with the times.

Some is, some isn't. I still see a heck of a lot of the same cliches. Demonstrate it, give us examples. If you're just going to respond with baseless one-liners then you're done. This is a discussion, not a "Hey GATSU, what's your opinion?" thread.

Quote:
The landscapes and buildings in AC have far more originality and detail than the generic locations you see in Beowulf and The Incredibles. But hey, the latter two are in CG, so they're brilliant. Also, the original FF7 was a rush-job, so being able to finish it the way it should've been finished served to enhance the story.

Well let's see here. Beowulf used accurate depictions of nordic architecture. What'd you want them to do? Make up something outlandish? The Incredibles primarily took place in a rendition of the real world and the components of Syndromes layer were intentional parodies of 50's comics as that was the theme.

Now if that's how they wanted to finish FF7; by backtracking the story and then essentially repeating it all over again while making each character you came to know in the story completely useless aside from fanservice cameos with the only deep and meaningful part of the story being that someone lost their phone then I'm glad they rushed FF7 because the game ended so much better.

Quote:
Perhaps, but Last Exile's another Laputa wannabe, while Appleseed bothered actually tackling near future themes.

Wow, you're really grasping hard now. Another baseless attack. What'd I tell you about unsupported one-liners?

Quote:
Isn't there a rule against threatening people on here, too? Or are your opinions the only ones which are valid?

Perhaps, but I'm not really threatening you. I'm simply telling you that there's rules regarding one-liner responses and contributing to the discussion. You may think your post count gives you some kind of immunity to that but you're incorrect, you are expected to add to the discussion the same as everyone else. Simply saying, "I don't like that so it sucks" or "Everyone else hates it" doesn't do that, it promotes arguments against something you provided nothing to even demonstrate aside from your own ridiculous bias'.

Everyone has valid opinions, even you, but you're expected to support those opinions instead of tossing out some quick little one-liner that does nothing more than repeat that opinion over and over and over and over again. You see GATSU, that is all you're doing so far. You're just responding with a simple opinion each and every time without discussing a thing. Honestly since this has all began I've been getting PM's from multiple users with complaints about that very thing. You're more than welcome to discuss and post as you see fit but you are expected to do so within the guidelines everyone else has to follow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
Have I edited or touched your posts so far?

If you haven't, someone else has. I've frequently complained about it in the past, too.

Quote:
I've never met a soul who can't tell the difference.

So then how does A Bug's Life differ from Cars, Toy Story and Ratatouille? Other than different types of talking animate and inanimate objects, of course.

Quote:

Who cares about Shark Tale? We're talking about Shrek.

Shrek's pretty much of that same mold, too. I mean, how lame is it for an animation studio to swipe a song used to sell Mountain Dew for a theme song? The reason people like Nick Park so much is because he does real animated films, not overpriced knock-offs like Shrek.

Quote:
Beowulf used accurate depictions of nordic architecture. What'd you want them to do?

It would've been nice if they actually focused more on the village life, for one. It's like the only thing around that part of the world was the beer hall and castle. It probably would've helped if they had cut out that sea monster sequence, because it added nothing to the story.

Quote:
The Incredibles primarily took place in a rendition of the real world and the components of Syndromes layer were intentional parodies of 50's comics as that was the theme.

So it's a style which has been done before, thus proving my point that they're not really pushing the medium in a new direction. Your turn.

Quote:
Now if that's how they wanted to finish FF7; by backtracking the story and then essentially repeating it all over again

The story backtracks in the game, too. And it relies on repetition in the form of dream sequences. Why is it bad when the movie revisits old territory, considering the game is about characters who have unfinished business?

Quote:
while making each character you came to know in the story completely useless aside from fanservice cameos

The supporting characters had small parts in the game, too. I mean, who really remembers what Yuffie had to do with the story?

Quote:
with the only deep and meaningful part of the story being that someone lost their phone then I'm glad they rushed FF7 because the game ended so much better.

That wasn't an ending. At least in FFVI, you know you won. This was just Square running out of money.

Quote:

Wow, you're really grasping hard now. Another baseless attack. What'd I tell you about unsupported one-liners?

Unsupported one-liners? Read the encyclopedia summaries for both titles and tell me which one's more derivative.

Quote:
You may think your post count gives you some kind of immunity to that but you're incorrect, you are expected to add to the discussion the same as everyone else. Simply saying, "I don't like that so it sucks" or "Everyone else hates it" doesn't do that,

I never made those comments. My argument is that what's popular here still can't compete with Japanese animation, because it doesn't try to do anything which acknowledges your intelligence and your appreciation for the art of animation in general. When people are more excited at the upcoming Batman anime than a live-action Avatar, you know I'm right.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you haven't, someone else has. I've frequently complained about it in the past, too.

Well that's unfortunate, but if they violate the rules then they violate the rules and you've no basis to complain. You are not exempt.

Quote:
So then how does A Bug's Life differ from Cars, Toy Story and Ratatouille? Other than different types of talking animate and inanimate objects, of course.

The stories are completely different. So what's next? All anime is the same because there's just different types of talking people? My god man, there's way more to ... anything, than just the character types.

Quote:
Shrek's pretty much of that same mold, too. I mean, how lame is it for an animation studio to swipe a song used to sell Mountain Dew for a theme song? The reason people like Nick Park so much is because he does real animated films, not overpriced knock-offs like Shrek.

Shrek and Shark Tale are hardly similar. You're really stretching and it's starting to show.

Quote:
It would've been nice if they actually focused more on the village life, for one. It's like the only thing around that part of the world was the beer hall and castle. It probably would've helped if they had cut out that sea monster sequence, because it added nothing to the story.

That's not what the story was about, and the sea monster sequence existed to develop Beowulfs personality and demonstrate, in a sense, his failings; pride.

Quote:
So it's a style which has been done before, thus proving my point that they're not really pushing the medium in a new direction. Your turn.

And anime is not a style that's been done before? I've got news for you, it's all been done before buddy, open up those objective eyes because this portion is demonstrating your bias beyond that of anything else you've said. They did push the medium in quality and the sequences and in numerous technical areas, they simply used a style to lay the film out as a re-imagining of that bygone era.

Quote:
The story backtracks in the game, too. And it relies on repetition in the form of dream sequences. Why is it bad when the movie revisits old territory, considering the game is about characters who have unfinished business?

By backtrack I mean they undid all that was accomplished in the game. The game did not do that, sorry.

Quote:
The supporting characters had small parts in the game, too. I mean, who really remembers what Yuffie had to do with the story?

Yuffie was a minor optional character that paled in value to every other character in the game aside from Vincent. That's a poor example to use and I'm willing to bet you know it, which is why you chose her.

Quote:
Unsupported one-liners? Read the encyclopedia summaries for both titles and tell me which one's more derivative.

Great, then reference that, explain why that makes you think so. Back it up or don't post it.

Quote:
I never made those comments. My argument is that what's popular here still can't compete with Japanese animation, because it doesn't try to do anything which acknowledges your intelligence and your appreciation for the art of animation in general. When people are more excited at the upcoming Batman anime than a live-action Avatar, you know I'm right.

And I disagree, and frankly if you actually honestly think people are more excited about the Batman anime then the live-action then you are living under a rock. Perhaps in the limited scope of anime forums that may be the case but luckily I go to many forums beyond anime forums and there's a ton of buzz for the new live-action film all over the freaking place. As for the anime the only buzz I see about it is here and on the other anime forums I attend; and hell, not all that buzz is even good. I mean the viral marketing sites for the next Batman film were the most visited sites of December. Man, I take back what I said earlier, this demonstrates your bias much more than even that.

US film doesn't do anything that acknowledges your intelligence huh? Yeah, because FF7:AC really did a great job of that. Oh yeah, and Appleseed did such a great job of that, and boy oh boy when I watch an episode of One Piece or Naruto I just know by brain got an extreme workout. Give it up, my god, you fail to even recognize crap exists on both sides just as you fail to recognize any good on both sides. Could you get any more bias? Seriously, I'm beginning to think you need serious help.

That may be your opinion, but that's just an opinion and good for you for obtaining one but arguing an opinion by repeatedly citing your opinion does nothing but waste both our time. So ya know what buddy ol pal? We're done here. You've been good for a laugh but I'm sorry to say that's about the only good you've been so far. You're bias to the point I seriously am starting to believe you are ill and since you seem to dance around your opinion and cite that over and over it's also apparent you're here only to preach, accuse and hate; not to discuss and I have no interest in that. So you have fun off on your own little closed-minded world, but our little game is over. Been fun.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:31 am Reply with quote
As much as I hesitate to agree with GATSU, I don't really see the big deal with Pixar movies either.

There are a few exceptions like The Incredibles or Shrek that go in more unusual directions, but for the most part they all seem to baically along the lines of cute/funny talking _____ making various fairly similar jokes. Undoubtedly there is plenty of cliches in Anime too but at least there is some variety in genre and topics. I don't intend to bash them. I guess they're pretty good as far as kids or family movies go but I really just don't see what the big deal is.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Aight, just to finish this negative thread on a positive note for all the Pixar fans, Bird likes Miyazaki.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Okay ... not really relevant though. No one disputed whether there was any respect between overseas and US studios. In fact I would venture to say that most the US vs. Japan crap is more something generated by bias fans than anyone in the industry. There's been a well known mutual respect between Pixar and Ghibli for years.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Okay ... not really relevant though. No one disputed whether there was any respect between overseas and US studios. In fact I would venture to say that most the US vs. Japan crap is more something generated by bias fans than anyone in the industry. There's been a well known mutual respect between Pixar and Ghibli for years.

Haha. Yeah. It's funny seeing how excited John Lassatter (sp?) gets when he talks about Miyazaki's films. An excitement we both share. ^^
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the movie, the animation was great, and I agree it did feel like watching a videogame cutscene, but that does not bug me at all, I would love to just sit down and watching video game cutscenes and not play the game, especially an RPG. This movie was amazing, Period.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
"HEY GUYS I SAW THE LEAKED DVD RIP" posts will not be tolerated further.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Well, I bought the Blueray version this past weekend. It is simply amazing in 1080p. Truly stunning. I decided to watch the 04 Appleseed movie again right before for a refresher. There is quite a difference in visual quality, but I seem to be more forgiving than some people seem to be.

I will agree that the story for Ex-Machina was better, however I feel that there was a bit more action in the first. I gotta have my gunplay fix!

I do have one complaint about the story though regarding Hitomi. spoiler[The last time we see her, she's being arrested. We never see her again and she is not referenced at all in the end. I'm sure that due to the circumstances, she was probably released, but I feel they should have had at least a small scene depicting that.]

I had no idea that Amusement Park Media(aka ADV) did the english dub. I was very surprised when I started recognizing some of the VA's. Namely Luci Christian, Iilich Guardiola(sp?), Hilary Haag, and Chris Patton. They all did a great job and it further enhanced my enjoyment of the show.

All in all, it's a great, fun action movie. Oh, and I highly recommend going Hi-Def if you have the means.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Well, I bought the Blueray version this past weekend. It is simply amazing in 1080p. Truly stunning. I decided to watch the 04 Appleseed movie again right before for a refresher. There is quite a difference in visual quality, but I seem to be more forgiving than some people seem to be.

I will agree that the story for Ex-Machina was better, however I feel that there was a bit more action in the first. I gotta have my gunplay fix!

I do have one complaint about the story though regarding Hitomi. spoiler[The last time we see her, she's being arrested. We never see her again and she is not referenced at all in the end. I'm sure that due to the circumstances, she was probably released, but I feel they should have had at least a small scene depicting that.]

I have to agree with you daedelus. It just felt like there was a bit more action in the first one. However the plot was simpler in Ex-Machina and better too. It wasn't anything more then a simple action flick but in that regard it succeeded very well. I'm also a bit more forgiving like you towards the 04' movie but I do agree with Zac this is an improvement on almost all aspects over the 04 movie. The only thing I would say that way on par but not superior were some of the dub choices this time around. One or two I felt were better in the 04 movie while one or two (one main character as well) did sound better this time around. I hate to sound like a copy cat but I also find myself agreeing with Zac in regard to the animation. I found it was still choppy, though not as badly as 04, to a degree. Honestly that's the biggest problem I had with this movie and also Advent Children and the 04 Appleseed movie as well. These big budget movies lately, while visually stunning, have felt awkward in terms of the fluidity of the animation. It's almost like they animated ball joint anime figures with how they move at times. Now if they looked this good and moved like the characters in Ratatouille then I'd have to worship it heh.

I didn't think about Hitomi myself but now that you mention it daedelus it would be nice if we at least saw her doing something at the end to know they didn't forget about her and leave her in some dark and smelly prison lol. Even an out take with her behind bars at the end would settle what happened to her heh. I also must say I enjoyed her character more in the first movie when she had more of a role in it. The same goes for Athena.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
I think I'd like to elaborate my take on the choppy animation.

With both Appleseed movies, as well as FFVII:AC and all other CG films; when I notice the chop, or non-fluid stop-motionlike movement, my brain tells me this is CG and I sort of expect to see it. To put it another way, it doesn't surprise me when I see it. Therefore, it usually never detracts from my enjoyment. I'm simply astounded at how beautiful it is, regardless. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5