• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Roujin Z

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zewerr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
AZN TV has played Roujin Z a few times, and I was able to watch it one of those times. While watching it seemed to go from a normal feeling film into something totally rediculous, and in a good way. Watching a hospital bed go from a hospital bed slowly into what it ended up being was just hysterical. Roujin Z is truely a classic in my opinion.

Last edited by Zewerr on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
This, along with Project A-ko, where some of the first anime I saw, back when the Sci-Fi channel aired them over and over in the mid-90's.

I had nearly no idea what was going on from start to finish.

Didn't everyone die at the end for some reason?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
When I saw this, I thought that it was the most hysterical thing EVER! But, I also caught the social commentary that we do not care for the elderly the way we should.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
I definitely liked the movie, but I found the dub of this particular movie horrifying. Then I learned that it was produced by the guys who produced the rather cheesy and laughable dub for Demon City Shinjuku. Some of the voices were OK, but the acting really threw me off. Plus, the continuous profanity annoyed me. I often ignore this grating flaw if the acting is enjoyable (AniMaze's Castle of Cagliostro), but for this film, it only detracted further from the experience. This, from somebody who genuinely likes dubs.

-Jon T.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
I think I caught this on TV some years back...but I don't really remember much beyond the concept of the robot hospital bed. This review makes me wanna track it down and appreciate it properly. Smile
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
The crotchety old men in the nursing home are hilarious.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
I managed to recently salvage a copy. Definitely an underrated anime film.
Meccanica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
I found this in a local library almost a year ago- excellent movie. I have to say, even though the art may look a bit dated, and there are a few flaws... the animation is actually pretty smooth and quite good-looking. I think I'm going to buy the DVD if I get the chance, although I don't know who I would ever lend it to.
Maybe this review will help me convince someone.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
This is a good addition to the Buried Treasure picks.

I've seen this one many a times and I still enjoy it each time I watch it.

Yeah, the dub does detract quite a bit from the original, but at the same time, some parts did become more funny in the dub than in the original subbed format, the one thing that alot of sub purists tend to forget about; if a show's supposed to be a comedy, then I want to laugh at the right times and moments, but if it goes over my head too much, then it's not gonna do it for me.

Other thing I liked about this movie was the end music, it's just so catchy that I just want to listen to it while driving to the beach.....granted I pray I don't see a HUGE hospital bed following me while I'm going. ^^;
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
It's what I imagine my retirement will be like. spoiler[My wife would make a good WMD.] I hope she never reads this or she could go off spontaneously. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
TheTrueUndead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
How amusing, just ordered it online and got it a couple of weeks ago. Great film...love the old hackers in the nursing home Very Happy
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
i also saw this movie on Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday Anime (i think)....

at first i thought it was weird and wondered what the heck is going on but found out later that it was from Katsuhiro Otomo...which explained ALOT when later i found out he also wrote Akira....

i haven't added this to my collection but now that this Buried Treasure brought back Roujin Z, i'll try to remember it next time i shop from Rightstuf....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
You mean Hiroyuki Kitakubo.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
Sure, easily available NOW. But Elf Princess Rane went out of print within a week of your last article. You are an evil, evil man Justin. Wink

Luckily, I've had a dvd of this for years. So I'm good.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
I saw it on the Sci-Fi Channel years ago and always wanted to get it on DVD but I couldn't remember the title at all--I had no idea it was something like ROUJIN Z.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3