• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alex Shearer's Bootleg Novel Made into Manga, Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the mini series, but I can't remember much about it, it was alright. I'd like to see this.
mskala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that my upcoming novel - about a pair of plucky youngsters who start a cannabis farm in a country where the moralistic government has banned it - will be equally well-received.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
I'm hoping that my upcoming novel - about a pair of plucky youngsters who start a cannabis farm in a country where the moralistic government has banned it - will be equally well-received.

Are you serious? (Incidentally I'm not really against cannabis usage, but I really can't tell whether you mean it or not, plus cannabis - not the medical same family stuff, actual cannabis, is banned in many places already).
mskala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Are you serious? (Incidentally I'm not really against cannabis usage, but I really can't tell whether you mean it or not, plus cannabis - not the medical same family stuff, actual cannabis, is banned in many places already).

Sort of half-serious. I think most people's reaction to the idea of a ban on chocolate is a lot different from their reaction to a ban on cannabis, and I think the assumptions behind those reactions are worth examining. Chocolate is just candy, right? Whereas cannabis is Omg Drugz! But I don't really see any significant difference between the two. Both are things people consume for pleasure. One is illegal in most places. One is significantly more addictive and more likely to lead to health problems, but that's not the one that's illegal. I'm in favour of legalization across the board, myself.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:

Sort of half-serious. I think most people's reaction to the idea of a ban on chocolate is a lot different from their reaction to a ban on cannabis, and I think the assumptions behind those reactions are worth examining. Chocolate is just candy, right? Whereas cannabis is Omg Drugz! But I don't really see any significant difference between the two. Both are things people consume for pleasure. One is illegal in most places. One is significantly more addictive and more likely to lead to health problems, but that's not the one that's illegal. I'm in favour of legalization across the board, myself.

Except chocolate doesn't impare your judgment, whereas cannabis does. The sooner someone develops a clear cut way to determine intake levels of cannabis (ala a breathalyser test), the sooner it will be legalized. It's only a matter of time.
mskala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Except chocolate doesn't impare your judgment, whereas cannabis does.

That's not necessarily 100% true. A Google Scholar search on "chocolate" and "mood" turns up a whole lot of peer-reviewed papers on chocolate psychopharmacology, including at least some effect on behaviour and judgement. However, I don't think there's anything solid on it affecting reaction time, which is significant for your point about a breathalyzer test - driving high on pot is a much bigger risk to the general public than driving high on chocolate.

I hope you're right about a test being the only thing between places like the USA and legalization.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Does cannabis impair judgment or just reaction time? Having had an alcoholic parent I know that alcohol does this to some people (My own experience with it is limited, only been drunk once even though I'm 26. I generally don't like the feeling of being impaired. It's just like being tired for me and I don't get a lot out of it). On the other hand, most of those who I know were into marijuana didn't have this issue when they were high. They were certainly impaired but didn't appear to have the general arrogance I've seen from alcoholics.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
I've seen this book somewhere. Maybe i've even read it.

Come on Japan. Pick Animoprhs next. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
mskala wrote:

WHAT?!?! THAT'S MORALLY WRONG!!!... oh, never mind. I thought you said *cannibals*.

On a completely un-manga-related note, I'm also in favor of pot legalisation.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
mskala wrote:

WHAT?!?! THAT'S MORALLY WRONG!!!... oh, never mind. I thought you said *cannibals*.

On a completely un-manga-related note, I'm also in favor of pot legalisation.

Laughing Very Happy

This reminds me of that animal nudist farm story they had on the Simpsons (or maybe in one of the comics).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1