• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chow Yun-Fat Joins Dragonball Movie as Master Roshi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walker-san

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
O.o

Existance has ceased to exist. For if it continues to exist so, my eyes wouldn't be bleeding, nor my brains leaking.
Wgrey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Xeric wrote:
If he's willing to shave his head, all they'd really need is a good fake mustache and beard.

Nothing he hasn't done before...

Pirates 3

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Funny. I just watched some clips of Batman & Robin '97. I don't think anything can be worser. Also, I don't think 'worser' is actually a word. (And clearly you should have said "over 9000 times worser".)

I don't know, Hulk was pretty bad.

For all its flaws Hulk is no where near as bad as B&R. Even by Schumacher's standards that was horrendous.

But talk about strange casting. Who came up with that one? Was he the only Asian actor who western audiences might recognize that wasn't booked or something? I'm sure a couple years ago they would have gone for Pat Morita (RIP) but surely there are some solid character actors they could have nabbed. For all his talent, charisma and versatility I don't think CYF is ever going the be able to land a Western role that doesn't involve him doing martial arts/being Chinese.

As for the actual film, I think it could be fun if they keep it wacky and lighthearted, like the approach the Watchowskis seem to be using with Speen Racer. And if it ends up crashing horribly (which it probably will) it'll probably be entertaining in a "Wow I can't believe this is so bad" way.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
Well, Chow Yun Fat is getting a bit older now. He played a patriarch in the family drama Curse of the Golden Flower. Now he's going for the comedic dirty old grandfather figure. Certainly not actually there yet, but that's what makeup's for.

Plus Steven Chow is involved, so maybe they know each other, both being big names in HK cinema. So I don't think it's just that he's a name recognized in US films.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote
I don't know, he seems to sinister looking for the role. Then again, maybe thats acting and he can come across other ways too.

Also, we can by no means assume Master Roshi (or any character) will remain true to the anime. Who knows what they will go for.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
We can also by no means automatically assume they won't remain true to the anime and manga.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
We can also by no means automatically assume they won't remain true to the anime and manga.

Well some of the red flags are

1.Goku dressed as a college student.
2.Piccolo kidnaps Dr.Briefs.(Does Piccolo have a evil base now?)
3.Goku getting hit by Solar powered car (Where are the capsule cars?)
4.Filmed in mexico.(It's all good.)

It's turning out to be a hilarious comedy already.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Yeah, actually I think we can. We don't know to what extent it will differ but honestly, think about the prospect of Dragonball as a live action movie with no changes whatsoever. Its incomprehendable. Forgetting the problem that that would lack any sort of mainstream appeal, I can't see it even being possible to make that work.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
3.Goku getting hit by Solar powered car (Where are the capsule cars?)

Strangely enough, the Peel Trident is a real life Capsule Car come to life. Others that aren't so recognizable include the Dynasty EV, the Mitsubishi i, even the ZAP Xebra. In fact, I count at least 10 Electric Vehicles on Wikipedia that are near carbon copies or close to Capsule Corp. iconic bubble designs.

I'm willing to bet that the producers could've saved themselves some major green (Monetary and Environmental wise) by asking some of these EV guys to provide demo units. The exposure alone and free comps would've been huge against doing a stand-alone advertising campaign.
sorcerous_stabber_brad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
I think alot of you are over thinking it, remember that chinese bootleg from '89? well i seen it and let me tell you that was pretty bad...but i enjoyed some scenes in that film. Also, the direction they are taking with the movie isn't a bad concept...be honest who here would go see a movie where the star is a mountain hick that grew up dumb as a rock? No one would respect that character, now you see a smart responsible young man enrolled in college and alot of people can identify with that. Furthermore, i think that this is a new twist on an old classic and i count the days untill it's release, no matter how bad it is i will still love it because i have been a lifelong fan, and no matter what it doesnt change the real story...it just offers a different perspective.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
More on the premise
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I like the direction that it's going, Chow being in the movie is one of the last things I would have expected from the movie. I'm going to have to watch this one closely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3