• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Niconico to Jointly License Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Scr1be wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
On a happier note: FREE HD? Eat that Crappyroll

HD, sure, but will we have free full screen? And how many ads are we going to have to sit through? And how long does the free viewing last, one week like the current setup? Nico's current methods suck, I'm not so optimistic to think they'll suddenly change for the better. If they aren't going to give us the most basic services (unlimited free play, full screen) then I'd rather FUNi stuck with Hulu. They should have made this deal with Crunchyroll instead.

Emerje

Not to mention that Nico's video player sucks, last season I could only watch Blood-C and UtaPri. All the other shows would constantly freeze up on me. I agree, FUNi should've done this with CR instead. CR has a better video player and a larger installed user base.

Yes, but Nico was in much more need of a partner than CR. A partnership with CR would have likely been more costly for Funimation, as they proven themselves and have been doing relatively well on their own.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting but at the end of the day I don't care enough to be excited about this..I would of much rather like to hear of a anime being licensed other then Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scr1be

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Emerje wrote:

HD, sure, but will we have free full screen? And how many ads are we going to have to sit through? And how long does the free viewing last, one week like the current setup? Nico's current methods suck, I'm not so optimistic to think they'll suddenly change for the better. If they aren't going to give us the most basic services (unlimited free play, full screen) then I'd rather FUNi stuck with Hulu. They should have made this deal with Crunchyroll instead.

The "no true full screen" problem is rather easy to get around, although I would rather not detail it in an open forum for fear widespread knowledge might lead to that loophole being closed, given that it has other uses.

Looks like we don't need that work around, Just went on the GC stream and if you go to Settings, you can enable Full Screen. The quality on the stream is very good too.
TD912

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Man, no matter what Funimation does, people complain about nitpicky things like ads.

Heck, even if you were in Japan watching the show on TV as it aired, you would still be seeing ads.

Hulu blocks all countries outside the US and still has ads, and Crunchyroll seems more like a competitor to Funimation than an ally.

Niconico, being a Japanese company, likely also has much better relations with the animation studios in Japan, as they already stream some shows on their site, although like Hulu they block all countries other than Japan. This would allow Funimation to license series easier and faster, and possibly release to DVD/BD somewhat faster too.

Besides the fullscreen issue, there's no real problem I can see. Unless you want to complain about a Nico or Funi watermark in the corner, which is just silly.

http://video.niconico.com/watch/1318611911

The previous complaints about simulcasting were the limited number of shows to watch, the image quality, and to a lesser extent, ads.

Now there's a pretty decent selection of shows streamed in HD with no ads, and people complain about fullscreen settings and nitpicking on HD image quality. If you want the best possible playback, buy the actual series when it is released. And this time, it will actually be released.

The idea of a free simulcast with no ads is to watch it soon after the airing in Japan, and if you like it, you can go and buy it.

Last edited by TD912 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess this explains why Crunchyroll's Summer and Fall licenses have been very pathetic outside of 2nd seasons or continuing series. It almost feels though that all these licenses are only based on Funimation's tastes and things they would have licensed for R1 release anyways (AKA Excluding almost all Slice-of-life, harem, and 2nd seasons where the 1st is licensed by other companies), so I'm not seeing how this is actually going to benefit anything. However, I'm just hoping we get double episodes the first week instead of Funi's "A week or two later but we're still calling it 'SIMUL'cast".
Proz512

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This sounds great on paper but one thing CR has over N2 is their mobile app. CR's Andriod app is outstanding and until N2 comes out with an app, a good one at that, I don't plan to switch. The future might be streaming but the far future will be the one with the best mobile app.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
One of the major problems that this doesn't address is that anime fans are taught to reject streaming for fansubs, that's why even major series can only get 10,000-20,000 views while fansubs get millions.

Once a title gets licenced most fansubbers drop it as there is no point. Also I'd love to know where you invented those numbers from.
faketohma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Emerje"]
Kougeru wrote:
If they aren't going to give us the most basic services (unlimited free play, full screen) then I'd rather FUNi stuck with Hulu. They should have made this deal with Crunchyroll instead.

Well, Guilty Crown is streaming on Nico Nico and Hulu....So i don't think they're entirely abandoning Hulu...more like they're covering all the bases...which is a smart idea.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Blood C is CLAMP. Of COURSE it was going to be licensed!

Then how come we have yet to see the rest of XXXHolic get licensed? :<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well if this will get Funi to release there stuff faster instead of sitting on it forever
domino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Exciting! I love niconico and look forward to seeing them grow outside of Japan.

And I hope this mean there is a slight glimmer of hope of seeing a US DVD release for Uta no Prince-sama...! My wallet is out and ready to go!
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Man, no matter what Funimation does, people complain about nitpicky things like ads.

Heck, even if you were in Japan watching the show on TV as it aired, you would still be seeing ads.

Hulu blocks all countries outside the US and still has ads, and Crunchyroll seems more like a competitor to Funimation than an ally.

Niconico, being a Japanese company, likely also has much better relations with the animation studios in Japan, as they already stream some shows on their site, although like Hulu they block all countries other than Japan. This would allow Funimation to license series easier and faster, and possibly release to DVD/BD somewhat faster too.

Besides the fullscreen issue, there's no real problem I can see. Unless you want to complain about a Nico or Funi watermark in the corner, which is just silly.

http://video.niconico.com/watch/1318611911

The previous complaints about simulcasting were the limited number of shows to watch, the image quality, and to a lesser extent, ads.

Now there's a pretty decent selection of shows streamed in HD with no ads, and people complain about fullscreen settings and nitpicking on HD image quality. If you want the best possible playback, buy the actual series when it is released. And this time, it will actually be released.

The idea of a free simulcast with no ads is to watch it soon after the airing in Japan, and if you like it, you can go and buy it.

My main complaint is this:

Funico just announced that they got the licence for 5 new shows, right? Given Funimation's current backlog of older licences, I find it extremely hard to believe that they're honestly willing to physically released ALL of those on DVD/BD in under 18 months. And that's just for the current season, if another set of 6-7 shows adds up to that in winter... hell's gonna break lose for them. Unless that new deal gets them a TON of new funds, I just can't see keeping up with all those projects. So let's assume that they DON'T release of them on dvd, will Sentai/Bandai/Aniplex/MB be able to buy the distributing rights off of them? Personally, I doubt it.

Basically, I'm glad for those who watch streams legally on the net, but I don't watch them. If they do licence something, as an avid anime collector I want them to actually release it! Since I'll prefer to buy a physical, this news (and Tempest's editorial) did little to excite me. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
One of the major problems that this doesn't address is that anime fans are taught to reject streaming for fansubs, that's why even major series can only get 10,000-20,000 views while fansubs get millions.

Still thinking that /a/ comprises majority of anime fans?

Lol. Downloads for fansubs never reach millions. At most, a torrent for a fansub reaches 1000-10000+ only.

Obviously, you're missing the illegal streaming sites which snatches more viewers than fansubs can. Streaming sites are for lazy people who find their anime through google, and I'm pretty sure that's majority of what anime fans do.

tl;dr: No. You ignore those hardcore fansub watchers and focus on making it easier for casuals (those who won't bother to look for fansubs) to watch their anime through legal channels.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, I hope this works out for them. Anyone that tries to stream legally to the UK gets my vote (and hence potentially my money).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Scr1be wrote:

Looks like we don't need that work around, Just went on the GC stream and if you go to Settings, you can enable Full Screen. The quality on the stream is very good too.

Clicking on the "Settings" box at the top of the panel indeed lists an "Enlarge to fullscreen view" option, but it is greyed out. I can only assume you paid the token fee for a beta premium account when that option was available. (Clicking the "Join Premium" option now results in a page with the message "Premium Members coming soon!").

While the full screen button (the box with the arrow pointing out from the upper right corner) located at the right of the player controls is available to free users, that only offers the result of "Enlarge to browser size" option in the settings.

SeigiNoSenshi wrote:
However, I'm just hoping we get double episodes the first week instead of Funi's "A week or two later but we're still calling it 'SIMUL'cast".

To quote from the article: "Niconico announced at New York Comic Con on Friday that they will stream the following anime titles as they air in Japan:"

To the best of my recollection, everything NicoNico.com simulcast last season was on the same day it aired in Japan. It appears the only difference this time is they are starting late.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4