• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Niconico to Jointly License Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Man, no matter what Funimation does, people complain about nitpicky things like ads.

I know this post was directed at me even though you didn't quote my post. Sadly you didn't actually read my post and just assumed I was complaining, otherwise you would have seen where I said I would take ads and SD quality if it meant I could watch something whenever I wanted to and in full screen. I think that's a fair trade off, I'm not the kind of person who needs to see things in the best quality around.

I also like how you make not having full screen seem like such a minor thing. It's standard issue, name another player that doesn't have that option (aside from embedded ad players).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Let me get this straight, since I may misunderstood something.

Niconico is the another company that joins Funi, Sentai, Viz, RightStuf, Bandai, and Media Blasters in the term of anime licensing?

No, Niconico is another company that joins Crunchyroll in terms of anime licensing.

The logistics of marketing anime through streaming is a different animal than marketing anime DVDs plus
1) None of the companies that stream directly for profit release DVDs and
2) None of the companies that release DVDs stream for profit.

So it's as if when you are talking about Niconico and Funimation you're talking about two different companies that are selling two entirely different products.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Blood C is CLAMP. Of COURSE it was going to be licensed!

Then how come we have yet to see the rest of XXXHolic get licensed? :<

Because it did rather badly as I recall.

I know the reason. Just was making an example that just because it has the name CLAMP on it doesn't mean everything by them will automatically get licensed (granted, pretty much all their titles did but as you said XXXHolic didn't sell well). Blood-c wasn't very well liked by Anime fans, even though I personally liked it, and Kobato took over a year to get picked up (yet notice how Funimation seemed to have snubbed the series so we only got a sub-only release by Sentai).

I still pray that someone will someday pick up Kei and the OVA's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
AntztheGreat wrote:
For everyone complaining about the fullscreen, make sure you actually have it set to fullscreen.

http://i52.tinypic.com/21ed9if.jpg

It defaults to browser size for whatever reason.

Because it's supposed to be a premium only option like on JP. Non-payers only get browser full-window and you pay for the bonus of the true full screen.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
Funico, huh? Laughing This sounds kinda cool, and really interesting!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
So, it sounds like Blood-C is guaranteed to be a Funimation title, but then this speaks the same for R-15 and the Twin Sparkle Crap.

So if Blood-C's a Funi title, odds are most likely that either Monica Rial or Brittney Karbowski's gonna voice Saya. I just felt it the first time I saw the show.

Would like to see it again uncensored, if I can just fast forward all the other parts.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
So, it sounds like Blood-C is guaranteed to be a Funimation title, but then this speaks the same for R-15 and the Twin Sparkle Crap.

They can go nuts with Twin Angel and do a pretty off the wall dub for it if they wanted too. But even if it did good for N2 that does not mean Funi is going to license it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
AntztheGreat wrote:
For everyone complaining about the fullscreen, make sure you actually have it set to fullscreen.

Because it's supposed to be a premium only option like on JP. Non-payers only get browser full-window and you pay for the bonus of the true full screen.

Another reason being you can't comment in "true" fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
bayoab wrote:
AntztheGreat wrote:

Another reason being you can't comment in "true" fullscreen.

They should have made the comments the paid perk, not full screen. How did this player ever become popular in Japan, I just don't get it?

Emerje
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
They should have made the comments the paid perk, not full screen.[/quote
It would never have gotten off the ground that way. The whole point of NicoNioc is the shared viewing experience, where it simulates watching a video simultaneously with many other people but without requiring everyone to actually watch it at the same time.

[/quote="Emerje"]How did this player ever become popular in Japan, I just don't get it?

See above.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
AntztheGreat wrote:

That is rather difficult to do when the option is greyed out:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2v9ay53.png

As has been noted, the option you are referring to is only available to premium users. While the premium accounts can be had for only 25 cents currently, you can bet it won't be anywhere close to that inexpensive when they emerge from beta (which should be happening soon).

I just noticed it states, "Englarge to fullscreen view". Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
Looks like Funimation is moving up somehow. Let's hope they are making good choices. Never thought I would see this merger.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Sure, there are concerns (always are... I'm paranoid Smile ), but this IMO this is a good move for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4