• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know there was an english version of Mr. Dandy, I just love the original version. Part of the reason why I bought the Complete Vocal Collection. Bubblegum Crisis had excellent music so I'm glad to have missed the dubbed songs. Did they dub the rest of the songs since there's an insert or two in every episode. Not sure if I'd want to hear Kon'ya Hurricane or Touchdown to Tomorrow in english. . . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
I feel like I just watched American Idol.

I guessing the part BEFORE they weed out the losers, wierdos and flakes.

Absolutely! Smile

I forget which anime song it was, but the one where it was completely off key. I was rolling my eyes bigger than Simon does. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
All of those songs were pretty piss-poor, but that Galaxy Fraulein one was flat-out pain-inducing. Dear Lord...someone actually sat behind a recording console and approved that?! Mad

I haven't heard too many dubbed songs out there, be they OP/ED or inset, but I do have to second the praise for Vic Mignogna's version of "Hikari E" for One Piece. I first saw the OP dubbed (in fact, the first FUNi-dubbed episode was the first episode of One Piece I saw), and when I went back and tracked down the original, I was amazed at how closely the translation matched, and even more so at how much Vic's voice sounds like the original Japanese singer to begin with. It's just an all-around great effort.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh god yeah... stuff like that is the reason why I hated the fact that my ex-husband would ONLY watch things dubbed.

...He watched Galaxy Fraulein Yuna dubbed, so I had to listen to that concert stuff :/...

I personally never liked dubbed music... as shown in my first sentence, I had to listen to a lot...

._. The only one that ever made me growl and threaten harm if the video was going to be watched anymore was the Nuku Nuku TV series though. The second I heard the singing of the English version in the very opening I couldn't take it... (but then that's also just my "Thou shalt not ruin Megumi Hayashibara songs" issue).
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
what about Kenshins? Heh.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZrptxRZSTdE

If I'm not mistaken, and I very well could be, the English version is done by the original Japanese artist, Judy and Mary. Even so, I actually really like the dubbed version of Freckles.

Actually, I love dubbed music, bad or good. The Japanese songs are better 99% of the time of course, but there really is something about hearing the songs in English. And if its really horrible, oh well, you change the language track back to Japanese. (At least, anime these days has that convinience Smile )
I was so disappointed Funimation didn't dub the School Rumble opening and ending. Sad

On the other had, Everyone talking about bad Funimation dubs is making me think... Peach Girl. The ending was done well, but the opening... *shudder*

I thought it sounded fine. If anyone played DDR Supernova, one would know that there is an english version of Freckles, which sounds awesome! (and has better lyrics IMO...)
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
I feel like I just watched American Idol.

I guessing the part BEFORE they weed out the losers, wierdos and flakes.

Absolutely! Smile

I forget which anime song it was, but the one where it was completely off key. I was rolling my eyes bigger than Simon does. Laughing

I heard it was "The Jigglypuff song" Laughing
leatherman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Dear Lord...someone actually sat behind a recording console and approved that?!

What I find even more frightening is that those were the best takes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Initially, I thought the Ranma Xmas amateurish dub singing was intentional, since Ranma characters are not really singers, particularly Ranma him/herself since, y'know, it's not manly for macho boys to know how to sing. Laughing
1stAgent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Its is true that the dubbed songs feature in this article was horrible beyond belief. But the constant complaining about how horrible english dubbed themes are has pretty much made them extinct. If you are going to bother making a english dub why not make the whole thing english? Its only take two minutes to dub the OP and ED on average. All they have to do is find someone who can actually sing.

Uh... considering it usually takes me about two hours to write English lyrics for a song, and that would be the *easy* part, please explain this logic to me.

Thanks to whoever mentioned that one Tenchi opening. I really liked that one, and I still don't know if that was actually Sonia or not. Curses, however, to whoever mentioned Captain Tyler. I've been trying to supress that dub of Just Think Of Tomorrow.

As far as good ones, I also enjoyed the ending to the first El Hazard OAV. I'm sure they abandoned the original translation and wrote their own lyrics (I think it's supposed to be sung by Alielle in the original), but damn was that song catchy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some say it's jarring to hear English vocals suddenly switch to Japanese when the singing starts but I feel this doesn't tend to be the case. 9 times out of ten the show is set in Japan and the viewer is aware that the characters are actually speaking Japanese while the English dialog is for the benefit of the viewer, a'la Memoirs of a Geisha It's really a matter of suspension of disbelief.

It's easy to make this argument when dealing with live action dubs but I find in cartoons and anime in particular, with a well directed dub, the characters speak as if english is their primary language and they just happen to be japanese characters speaking english while still living in Japan. The transition of english into japanese dialogue when it comes to singing also varies across different series. Slayers NEXT and GUNXSWORD make the transition flawlessly while some other anime like Ys doesn't. For example, in Ys, Luther Gemma offers to sing Adol a ballad but sings it in japanese. The transition is so blatantly jarring that it completely ruins the english "feel" of the dub. However, this argument is a moot point considering that the Ys dub is awful to begin with and is one of Bang Zoom! Entertainment's black marks to their record. I seriously want to strangle John Sirabella for some of the name pronounciations in it. Adol pronounced as A DOLL? WTF? However, Lex Lang did make an awesome Dark Fact. Smile

As for the article, nicely done, Justin. *claps* I just want to add that many years ago, my anime club did watch the Ranma 1/2 Tendo Family Christmas Scramble in its entirety and when the singing came on, the whole room burst out laughing. Laughing I think the funniest part was when they sang "Now, get on your knees" or something like that. We also watched the first episode of Bubblegum Crisis dubbed but changed it to japanese after the awful singing.

The highlight clips would've been much funnier if you edited in clips of Simon's brutal criticisms at the end of each song. Wink

I hope in a future article you do a segment featuring redone anime openings for english kids shows. Saban and 4Kids hint hint. Wink
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
1stAgent wrote:
As far as good ones, I also enjoyed the ending to the first El Hazard OAV. I'm sure they abandoned the original translation and wrote their own lyrics (I think it's supposed to be sung by Alielle in the original), but damn was that song catchy.

I'm totally stupid as to which El Hazard series is which, but as for El Hazard songs, I love "Clever" and "Illusion". I'd put those two on a "Best Dub Song" list.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why more Japanese songs are dubebd when they come over, in Mexico practically every anime has dubbed songs. The Spanish versions of most anime songs are actually some of my favorite versions and I prefer them over a few of the original Japanese. For example, the Cardcaptor Sakura 3rd OP 'Platinum' in Spanish is one I prefer to the original (which is saying a lot since I love Maaya Sakamoto's version too.)

The best dub songs probably come from Funimation, I actually enjoyed their OP and ED song dubs for Conan and Burst Angel, but the thing is they actually got singers to sing them. The Tenchi songs were also all done extremely well, I still love listening to 'No Talent for Love.'

Perfect Blue also had some very catchy dub songs, I remember listening to them all the time on the DVD extras.

Cynthia Martinez is a great voice actress but I agree her voice doesn't translate well into singing. I actually thought the Yuna OVAs were cute when I saw them a long time ago.

I disagree with you about Key the Metal Idol dub songs, those in my opinion were excellent examples of how to do dub songs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think that the dubbed versions of the Bubblegum Crisis songs were that bad. Not as great as the original Japanese versions, but a good effort, at least compared to the rest of the dub. Ugh, what awful voice acting in that dub. It's a wonder I ever go into BGC watching that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
If you watched enough AMVs during a certain era (as I did), the video portion of that Ranma sequence is extremely familiar. Not quite as much as the footage of Vash dancing with the headphones, but it's up there.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, I totally forgot about the Ranma 1/2 song. That OVA episode was one of the first I seen when I first started to get into anime. It brings back some memories but I forgot how bad some of the actresses sang in it. I'm going to have to find the tape so I can hear the entire song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8