• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I went back and looked at the video again with the volume up louder (as the room was clear this time, so no one's ear drums will bleed). When 'Mr. Dandy' kicked in, I was suddenly struck by memories of singing along with it on my old tapes o' theme songs. Apparently, I've just completely forgotten ever renting any BC. Guess that means I'm 4 for 4 on these songs (although I did discover I only recorded Psycho Diver's end theme, not the insert one with rappin' Washu. Ah well.)

As a side note, when the Yuna clip kicked in, one of the speakers on my computer promptly died. Now I have to jack the volume up all the way to get wonky 2nd speaker to kick in. Mind your equipment, people! That song is dangerous!

tygerchickchibi wrote:

Has ANYONE listened to "Oh Angel" from Fatal Fury?

That's on my tapes too Very Happy I remember playing it over and over again...
san-chan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
All I can say about those songs is - ugh... Not good at all. many times they sang really false.
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I disagree while the ranma 1/2 one was the weakest of the ranma songs MR dandy was one of the more solid BGC songs hel most if not all the ranma and BGC dub'b songs are better than most other series/OVAs put togather.

I really miss the ranma style of song dubing it added so much more to the dub side...then again ranma's dubs are nearly 70-80% a match to the JP dialog/voice work and that you don't see much of anymore....

I'l take wonky song dubbing or subs...mostly subs...but TV anime dose neither.... and domestic DVD anime leaves me cold more often than not...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
Wish they could have mixed the original Japanese with the English music, would have made for a killer combination.

And agreed, I loved a lot of the insert songs in the U.S. version. Rainy Day Man was instant win, glad I still have that episode taped.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Wish they could have mixed the original Japanese with the English music, would have made for a killer combination.

And agreed, I loved a lot of the insert songs in the U.S. version. Rainy Day Man was instant win, glad I still have that episode taped.

I loved that song, I thought it was better as the original.
Boomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that the English version of "Konya wa hurricane" was not mentioned in the review. Since that is one of the greatest songs in all of anime, translating it to match the rhythm of the original presents a unique challenge, and the result will inevitably sound like crap in comparison. The singer did make a valiant effort, but her high-pitched warbling came across as sub-par at best.
neopeius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
[quote="videomaster21XX"
I have heard many dubbed anime songs that I've enjoyed. Though for a few I'm not sure if there WAS an orginal Japanese song.

Such as "We will Win" and "Look up! The Sky is Falling" From Robotech. Sung by Lancer however. Not Minmay.

I love Lancer's voice, and as a result. I love those songs.
[/quote]

I'm pretty down on dubs, but Macek did a good job with Robotech. In the original Mospeada, there were two VAs for Lancer--male voice and female voice. All the songs were sung by female voice. It was kind of a lame effect.

In Robotech's Invid chapter, it's all one guy doing a passable job of being androgynous.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Hey, guys. For those of us who have not watched every anime in existence...when you name the song, would you please list the anime it comes from as well.

Most of you are pretty good about doing that, so I thank you!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I went back and looked at the video again with the volume up louder (as the room was clear this time, so no one's ear drums will bleed). When 'Mr. Dandy' kicked in, I was suddenly struck by memories of singing along with it on my old tapes o' theme songs. Apparently, I've just completely forgotten ever renting any BC. Guess that means I'm 4 for 4 on these songs (although I did discover I only recorded Psycho Diver's end theme, not the insert one with rappin' Washu. Ah well.)

As a side note, when the Yuna clip kicked in, one of the speakers on my computer promptly died. Now I have to jack the volume up all the way to get wonky 2nd speaker to kick in. Mind your equipment, people! That song is dangerous!

tygerchickchibi wrote:

Has ANYONE listened to "Oh Angel" from Fatal Fury?

That's on my tapes too Very Happy I remember playing it over and over again...

Same here.I would fall asleep to my BC mix tape .A lot of anime vhs previews had catchy music that I had to hunt down or record to tape also.
1stAgent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
I am surprised that the English version of "Konya wa hurricane" was not mentioned in the review. Since that is one of the greatest songs in all of anime, translating it to match the rhythm of the original presents a unique challenge, and the result will inevitably sound like crap in comparison. The singer did make a valiant effort, but her high-pitched warbling came across as sub-par at best.

Not realizing there was already an English version, I tried to adapt Konya Wa Hurricane a few months ago (I wish my anime club had shown more than the first ep of BGC). You are right on all accounts. First off- yes, it's one of the greatest songs in all of anime. Secondly, even though it doesn't sound too complex at first, there's a lot in the melody and the lyrics that make it difficult. I gave up midway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
animefan473

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote
I thought that the Pyscho Diver song was the least pain-inducing. It's a style of music that I don't really like, and I'm guessing the original probably wasn't much better, but it at least sounds like they tried to make it work. As for the others, I can't believe they actually got past the editing and into the final release!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
I agree-a lot of dubbed songs suck but some-such as a lot of the early Pioneer ones for Tenchi Muyo and others are quite good.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I loved that song, I thought it was better as the original.

Was there even an insert song during that breakup scene in the original? Because I watched the French version of Sailor Moon and there was nothing but silence during that scene.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh man! That. Was terrible! Tendo Family Christmas sounds like it was recorded by a bunch of kids that sang on a preschool tape!

Psyco Diver sounds off da hook! Off da hesey! Totally awesome! IN1994!Now, it's just laughable. And what the hell were they thinking having the voice actress do a rap number that sounds like it was written on the back a milk carton by a homeless man? The chick friggin sounds like a white woman from Dallas, Texas trying to rap and sound hype!(I don't know if it was dubbed in '94 but it sure sounds like it was.)

As for Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Returns, I could'a swore I thought I was listening to "Rapsody Musical Adventure" for PSone/Saturn. It sounds like a poorly preformed karaoke demo with a bad 80s sampling in the background. Thankfully, ADV learned thier lesson and got it right with the amazing "Nerima Daikon Brothers" a decade later.

After listening to this samples, I've decided that it's probably better to listen to the annoying Sonic R soundtrack than these trainwrecks because I hate myself. Sonic R is probably a better way to put myself out of my own misery![/b]
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crisis is an anime classic, but the dub ruins the show.
I only watch it in Japanese with subs.

I remember when I bought the dvd set and saw the dubbed version, and I was like "Dear Lord this is horrible!!!!"

The Japanese Bubblegum Crisis still has one of the best all time anime vocal soundtracks of all time in my own opinion.

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8