• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm guessing no one here likes One Piece...?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen one of these in a while. Anyways, I have been an avid fan of the series. I haven't been able to watch the show as much as I've wanted to, but that's where the manga comes in to keep me satisfied. I was very upset with the 4Kids dub when it came out. I even made a thread complaining about it, in which I got some very constructive critizism for my actions, if I find it I should post it. Knowing that 4Kids lost it and Funi got also made me happy because I knew that we would get a chance for uncut episodes over here. Even with all of this I will still be a fan.
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually really surprised how One Piece is barley on these Boards and why it isn't even on any of the Top 10 lists on ANN. It's probably the most popular anime in japan atm and its getting higher viewer ratings in japan than Naruto and Bleach. but I guess the reason why most people don't really like the series here is because of the animation, most people tend to just stick with what feels normal. I was the same way but now I just love the animation of One Piece. And another reason is because of the 4kids version of One Piece since it just sucks. But IMO One Piece has to be one the best anime's ever, I mean Bleach is still good but its losing its quality that it had during the soul society arc, and Shipudden is just horribe, I mean maybe to die hard fans of Naruto will like it but the show just sucks now. and One Piece never gets old, and the story just keeps getting better and better. Even the Fillers are good. I didn't even know the G8 arc and the Ice Hunter arc were fillers. But it really is a shame that a show this good is overlooked by mediocre shows like Shipudden, and Im not hating on Naruto, I loved the show but ever since Shipudden started its gone down the crapper for me.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
I think it has to do with how it was promoted. The fact of the matter is Bleach and Naruto were airing over here before One Piece was. Plus they're both on Adult Swim, versus the 4Kids version that aired on Saturday mornings, they tried to make it for kids. All three series are in the same base: they're for teens, contain minor violence/crude humor, and they're action.
nacchi1134

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing...U like One Piece huh??

I like One Piece too but spoiler[I don't really like creating new topic so...]

I like One Piece too!!But I haven't bought the Newest DVD....
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I think it has to do with how it was promoted. The fact of the matter is Bleach and Naruto were airing over here before One Piece was. Plus they're both on Adult Swim

Nitpick (sorry! Confused), but Naruto's on Toonami.

Not that it invalidates your point in anyway of course.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Nitpick (sorry! Confused), but Naruto's on Toonami.

Not that it invalidates your point in anyway of course.

Late night television on cable, it's all the same to me since I don't have either but I will take your point Wink
riccardo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
I watched a few episodes of One Piece, I'm afraid I wasn't too impressed, the style and pacing of the series and the characters aren't what I normally enjoy watching, it feels a little more aimed at a younger audience (I'm nearly 27).

That said, Naruto is a guilty little pleasure of mine, and thats probably the same target audience, so I'll look at giving the series another watch when the new dubs come out here on DVD.
GrimaH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
One Piece good-guys characters just. Cannot. Die.

Not that it makes it any less awesome for me, but that can be a huge drawback for those looking for more realistic action. The complete lack of explanation for the reason why some of them are still alive after supposedly fatal blow doesn't help either.
Masked Devil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
When I first read read One Piece in Shonen Jump, I thought it was a funny, well drawn, and entertaining comic. After watching the anime series on Adult Swim, it definitely soured the series overal for me. Childish/horrible dubbing. And like previously mentioned, the comedic bits just didn't translate well to the medium. So no, not a fan of One Piece the anime. One Piece the manga, though? Entertaining.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
GrimaH wrote:

Not that it makes it any less awesome for me, but that can be a huge drawback for those looking for more realistic action. The complete lack of explanation for the reason why some of them are still alive after supposedly fatal blow doesn't help either.
"
Don't forget, the author, Oda Eiichiro was an assistant to Toriyama Akira while he was writing Dragon Ball. It's no wonder I would think that Oda draws his influences from Dragon Ball. A lot of times in Dragon ball spoiler[even if main characters were to die they would still have the chance of being resurrected. So that means they would still be alive. In a way that would reflect upon One Piece characters. They seem like they're going to die but they don't.]
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Masked Devil wrote:
When I first read read One Piece in Shonen Jump, I thought it was a funny, well drawn, and entertaining comic. After watching the anime series on Adult Swim, it definitely soured the series overal for me. Childish/horrible dubbing.

First off, it never aired on Adult Swim. And secondly, I think that you're reffering to the 4kids version, which is dead now. FUNimation has it now and is giving it a great dub, even though CN isn't giving it the same privileges as Naruto, but I hope that that will change soon.

GrimaH wrote:

What are you talking about? What aboutspoiler[Bellamere and Dr. Hirulik]? They died! Twisted Evil

GrimaH wrote:
The complete lack of explanation for the reason why some of them are still alive after supposedly fatal blow doesn't help either.

It's Shonen Jump. Most of it isn't supposed to be realistic. Wink Anyways, Oda explained why most villians don't die. He said that defeating them and crushing their dreams is more hurtful to them, than just killing them; which would letting them get off easy.

EDIT:

fighterholic wrote:
Oda Eiichiro was an assistant to Toriyama Akira while he was writing Dragon Ball.

No, he wasn't. He was just a big fan of DB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
All Arrembaggio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

What are you talking about? What aboutspoiler[Bellamere and Dr. Hirulik]? They died! Twisted Evil

I've heard people bring this up before, and most have responded with "Characters only die in flashbacks."

I used to like One Piece (my username is based on the Italian name for the series), but a certain arc caused my interest to dwindle when the filler became ridiculous. I tried watching episodes past this point but I just couldn't feel it anymore.
F_urn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Another fan here. I'm suprised too, I thought One Piece was more popular, but the reasons people do not like it all make sense. I do not mind about animation style or the repetitive nature. One piece is a fun time, even with it's drawbacks I enjoy watching it. And I have to say the Chopper arc was a brilliant story in my book.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
All Arrembaggio wrote:
I've heard people bring this up before, and most have responded with "Characters only die in flashbacks."

That's actually not even true. If you take a look at the Arlong Park arc, spoiler[Admiral Purin Purin and his entire crew perished when the three big guys of Arlong's crew sunk the Marine ship. There were no survivors. ]Donquixote Doflamingo spoiler[had Sarkist execute Bellamy for being a failure or whatever, he is considered a death.]
TheAnimeJudge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Well, One Piece overall, is favored by many, and not liked by many, but i don't get what your trying to say here o.O, that people hate One piece? No that's not true, eveyrones got their own thoughts, be it bad or good
I think One Piece is a pretty good Anime, when it comes to Adventure, and expanded storyline, pirating, etc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12