• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto GN 52

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Would have been better if they kept it on CN cause at least the edits would not have been as severe.

It's not their choice; the one who made the decision was CN.
redranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Another excellent volume!!!
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It is just Carlo being the usual "evil" self. Looking at the basis which he listed for the mark "D" for the story, other shonen mangas, most of which are less intricate in details, should be getting "E" and "F" from him. However, this never happened, so besides him playing the usual "evil reviewer" role, he added personal dislike attitude to the marks he assigned.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
maxxjulie wrote:
blackseer wrote:
I didn't know there were still Naruto fans out there. I guess the world is big enough.

really? it's the most popular anime in the USA and it still occasionally reaches the the weekly top ten of televised anime in japan. most the of the weekly top ten in japan is stuff gears towards little kids like detective conan, toriko, and one piece. not that naruto is a grown up anime, but it is a little more mature and serious in nature.

The problem is that their marketing the anime series as a kids show.

One proof is the bad bad decision of giving the license to disney xd,which means 4kids style edits.

Would have been better if they kept it on CN cause at least the edits would not have been as severe. but what's done is done , and as a result, people are flocking to the manga or watching the uncut eng dubs from illegal streaming sites.

though Viz is doing right with the manga, it's not the same with the anime. and they better fix it soon, otherwise they could become as equally despised like with the horror that is 4kids.

First of all, Naruto is a kids' show.

Second of all, nothing compares to 4kids' edits, i.e. unnecessary name changes, episodes being switched around, the series' plot being changed to suit demographics, etc. Editing for content suitable for broadcast according to FCC and/or the channel's standards is completely different to what 4kids does to the shows it licenses.

And finally, Viz "does right" with the manga? Viz censors the hell out of Naruto. It's no different from what is being done to the anime when it goes to broadcast.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:01 am Reply with quote
The only major censor I've seen in Viz's adaptation of the Naruto volumes was in volume 38 spoiler[when Konohamaru does his fantasy jutsus] and taking the liberty of changing Rock Lee's Drunken Fist to "Potion Punch".
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
The only major censor I've seen in Viz's adaptation of the Naruto volumes was in volume 38 spoiler[when Konohamaru does his fantasy jutsus] and taking the liberty of changing Rock Lee's Drunken Fist to "Potion Punch".

Erasing Shikamaru's cigarettes is another major one.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
It is just Carlo being the usual "evil" self. Looking at the basis which he listed for the mark "D" for the story, other shonen mangas, most of which are less intricate in details, should be getting "E" and "F" from him. However, this never happened, so besides him playing the usual "evil reviewer" role, he added personal dislike attitude to the marks he assigned.

I think he also made up things. I mean, "Sasuke declares his resolve to destroy the world around him". I thought he wanted to three people and one of them already previous volume. Did he read Naruto?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

I think he also made up things. I mean, "Sasuke declares his resolve to destroy the world around him". I thought he wanted to three people and one of them already previous volume. Did he read Naruto?

Actually, he's on track. Sasuke spoiler[is furious that Itachi had to pay the ultimate price due to Konoha's discrimination towards the Uchiha clan and now wants everyone to suffer equally.]

Anyway, ever since Naruto woke up from his brief hyperventilation, I've loved where the series went. Sure, it might have a few weak points here or there, but it's mostly been on track and I'm thinking Kishi will bring it to a satisfying conclusion (unlike Bleach, which is just trolling itself into the ground nowadays). And who cares if a training arc is cliched, it's got Killer Bee in it and that's never a bad thing, and the part of the training arc after this volume has some incredible stuff in it.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
sainta wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Actually, he's on track. Sasuke spoiler[is furious that Itachi had to pay the ultimate price due to Konoha's discrimination towards the Uchiha clan and now wants everyone to suffer equally.]

Anyway, ever since Naruto woke up from his brief hyperventilation, I've loved where the series went. Sure, it might have a few weak points here or there, but it's mostly been on track and I'm thinking Kishi will bring it to a satisfying conclusion (unlike Bleach, which is just trolling itself into the ground nowadays). And who cares if a training arc is cliched, it's got Killer Bee in it and that's never a bad thing, and the part of the training arc after this volume has some incredible stuff in it.

I remember that he said his objectives were only the superiors, but would kill anybody on his way. Anyway, crazy Sasuke is new to the series, so I don't think it is repeated stuff. Also, the training is hardly considered a training as next volume actually contains the one of the most awaited fights from the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2