• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Year in Reviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:

But I like ANN, and isn't the whole point of that "discuss" button at the end of your article to, you know, "discuss" the article?

But you really aren't discussing... you're just saying that Rumbling Hearts and Air shouldn't be on that list because of the traits of certain characters in the show and dismaying any serious attempt at having a discussion about it. We understand that moe is a big turn-off for you, but this isn't "CitzenGeek's Favorite Anime of 2007", it's a diverse list complied by Bamboo regarding all of the various series she reviewed in the past year.

Zac's right. This is you saying "I don't agree with this list so you're wrong."

Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
I wasn't saying anything against Air in particular; I've already stated that I haven't seen it, so I can't say for sure if it's as good as Mushishi. My comment about Mushishi was completely separate from my comments about moe.

I know of you from the Adult Swim message boards, so if I'm correct, I believe the only problem here is that we have very different taste. I don't really like loli or moe, but at the moment I'm not really trying to be too critical of them either. I was merely trying to state why some people have problems with moe. There's no need to be so strident.

I thought I recognized that screen name... yes I'm one in the same and I agree that we should just disagree on the matter. I apologize of my replies to you came off as adamant. The whole "moe = subservience" claim just irks the heck out of me and I felt the need to speak my argument on such a claim. Again, we'll just agree to disagree.

Regarding the rest of this list, I'm surprised with Flag. Given the rather biting comments I read when it first came out in Japan, maybe I should give this a second look. I always like it when an anime comes along that separates itself from others in style and direction.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
LOL I spewed water all over my desk when I saw that ominous Darth Vader icon appear in the current moe frey.

I enjoyed your list Bamboo. It kinda reignited my Beck interest. I'm glad to see the VAs did a good job with the music.

As for the AIR mess, I used to despise moe anime and feel like it was an insult to my intelligence (Air started that for me.) But yet I loved the visuals and the music in Air and gave it a second shot. I'm still not into the whole moe thing, but whatever, someone apparently is. The visuals, the music, and the peaceful feeling of the story itself really made it worth my time and that's basically how I feel about moe now. Fate/Stay Night has characters that fit into so-called moe stereotypes, but the action was enough to keep me on board til the end.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's rare feat for a video game to be successfully transformed into a fun and exciting anime series. Disgaea, unfortunately, is one of the failures, and ends up being something that alienates fans and non-fans alike with its lack of storyline and terrible narrative. I guarantee you that if you've never played the video game, you will have zero interest in the series.

Ooo
Can we put big bucks on it because there was already another poster who said they enjoyed it without ever having played the game & I'll throw my voice in there also?
In fact, this is the only title I've seen that made your fricken list (Haven't watched Cat's Eye yet.)

Quote:
It's like listening to a private conversation full of in-jokes that you're not privy to. The series vaguely follows the plot of the video game, throwing in the “I shall call you Mid-Boss!” jokes that delighted hordes of fans. Out of the context of the game, though, it's really not that engaging. Disgaea's storyline isn't interesting enough to truly be captivating, so what you have left is a madcap adventure with weird characters running around trying to be funny. Add the fact that they're all incredibly whiny and immature, and continually spout terrible “I'm afraid of your voluptuous breasts!!” jokes, and you've got a big stinking pile of Not Funny.

Like all the campy stuff I grew up on in the '60's?
I found the anime funny in an over-done manner like Batman or Get Smart or any of those types of shows I loved as a child.

Quote:
As someone who hasn't played the game, though, I can't really recommend this. By trying to cram a game into a 12-episode series, and trying to be funny while doing so, it's really made itself too inaccessible to non-fans.

My gaming experience outside of the occasional arcade game over 5 yrs ago is pretty much Tetris, pokemon yellow, Pokemon Puzzle League (tetris basically), spider solitaire, Enzai, Animamundi & Perfect Obedience.
I got the gaming jokes. They aren't that difficult to pick up in the averge gaming anime.

Quote:
I find it interesting how people are complaining that Air is on Bamboo's list, but no one has a problem with Rumbling Hearts. They were both based on H-games, they are both deeper than a simple "pick-a-girl-and-screw-her" plot (Rumbling Hearts gets bonus points for making the sex plot-related). I understand the generalization of Air's origins, but you're talking about an anime from a company that has always put it's "cut scenes" to the backburner, to the point of eventually having so much clout for their story-not-sex approach that they've been able to release their games without the 18+ content. For example anyone who calls Clannad an H-game has no idea what they are talking about.

Take a step back.
Deep breath.

Very little is actually "Pick a guy/gal & screw him/her. They all have some sort of thin plot, but the basic poiint of H games, like the yaoi ones I've played, is sex happens somewhere. Just like in fighting titles one gets to fight-wheee! My teen is currently in love with Shin Megami Tensei where she gets to run around eating people. Whatever.

In Enzai you're a boy put in prison on false charges. The point is to get out. So far I've become the sadistic prison guard's "wife" in one go-round & he beat me to death the 2nd time I played it. No, it didn't end in sex, but sex occured (a good amount of the time) thruout.

Are you telling me you don't, in the best Pokemon Trainer mode, "Gotta get 'em all" in the hentai games you play? You stopped at one play? Yeah, right.

It's easy to generalize for those outside the genre. It's like my friend in high school who belonged to the Harlequin Romance bookclub & had to tell me about the 3 titles she got every month as she read them. I remember saying "Didin't you already tell me about this one?" a lot because they were the same 3 or 5 plots recycled.

Why try to make them something they're not? They're an interesting waste of time.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:

I wasn't saying anything against Air in particular; I've already stated that I haven't seen it, so I can't say for sure if it's as good as Mushishi. My comment about Mushishi was completely separate from my comments about moe.

I know of you from the Adult Swim message boards, so if I'm correct, I believe the only problem here is that we have very different taste. I don't really like loli or moe, but at the moment I'm not really trying to be too critical of them either. I was merely trying to state why some people have problems with moe. There's no need to be so strident.

I thought I recognized that screen name... yes I'm one in the same and I agree that we should just disagree on the matter. I apologize of my replies to you came off as adamant. The whole "moe = subservience" claim just irks the heck out of me and I felt the need to speak my argument on such a claim. Again, we'll just agree to disagree.

Regarding the rest of this list, I'm surprised with Flag. Given the rather biting comments I read when it first came out in Japan, maybe I should give this a second look. I always like it when an anime comes along that separates itself from others in style and direction.

I saw the first couple episodes of FLAG. While I found it sort of boring, the narrative style and approach to cinematography was so unique I'd highly recommend at least giving it a chance.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

Bamboo, did you completely miss Ergo Proxy? I noticed that you didn't review any DVDs from this series.

Geneon was really spotty with sending screeners, so there were a lot of titles that I missed. Sometimes I'd get mid-series volumes, but not the beginning ones, or vice versa.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
[
Well, it is something terrible. I mean, it's sending the message that moe is good, better than series like Mushi Shi, even. Moe is driving so much in Japan now, I'd hate to think the same would happen over here.

And it does detract from Bamboo's article, as does the aforementioned lack of Mushi Shi.

*sigh* You people are never satisfied. As I stated three times in the column, there were a lot of great titles that I didn't put in, because of space. Had I put in every single title I wanted to, the column would've been really, really, really long.

Incidentally, had I not put Air in it, I would've had just as many people complaining that I left it out.

It's not a be all, end all list of everything good that was released. It's just a sampler.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Moe is something that's just so repulsively insulting to human intelligence that even mild cases, like AIR, should not be promoted, really. I dislike moe, and all it's mindlessness, so much that I'll actively criticise it. I don't like most shojo, I don't like yuri - but I can see how other people like them, and that's fine. But with moe, I dislike it greatly, so much so that it irks me to see not one, but two examples of this pathetic excuse for 'entertainment' on a Best of 2007 list. And I'm perfectly entitled to that, thanks ^__^

You seem simply more and more like a close minded bigot. Yes you are entitled to your opinions as we've all said but you keep preaching them as if they're a greater truth and simply the word and there is arguing it. It's also just a simple small list in one article and you're really overreacting to it. Chill out man

CitizenGeek wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
Seriously though, it's just a bunch of opinions, and if the very idea of promoting a moe title is so offensive to you, by all means go find another website to read. I like both shows, but completely see how someone could easily hate one or the other (or both). It just so happens she liked Air enough to put it on the short list. It's not as if she hated Mushi-shi (it did get Shelf Worthy ratings as I recall.) So quit whining already.

But I like ANN, and isn't the whole point of that "discuss" button at the end of your article to, you know, "discuss" the article?

And you call trashing the article based on personal bias discussion? You keep going on and on about one silly title on it and not discussing the article yourself. So why don't you take a chill pill, relax, and quit whining over this. It's not that important yet you're treating this one small thing like some huge slap in the face to anime fandom. Get over it will ya.

The one title on her list that does not surprise me in the least is Beck. I can't remember a title I've heard as much priase and good things about then this show. There have been some very good shows too in recent years but I think Beck takes the cake as they say. It's moving and engaging in a way few shows can achieve. I also can't think of another show that the staff behind it were so enthusiastic about.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Is there going to be a manga "Best of 2007" list, too?

psycho 101 wrote:
You seem simply more and more like a close minded bigot. Yes you are entitled to your opinions as we've all said but you keep preaching them as if they're a greater truth and simply the word and there is arguing it. It's also just a simple small list in one article and you're really overreacting to it. Chill out man

"Bigot"? Aren't you the one taking this a little too seriously?

I'm not actually as worked up about this as it probably seems from my words. Honestly, though, I'm very disappointed that moe drivel like Rumbling Hearts and AIR are getting more attention than they deserve.

Quote:
And you call trashing the article based on personal bias discussion? You keep going on and on about one silly title on it and not discussing the article yourself. So why don't you take a chill pill, relax, and quit whining over this. It's not that important yet you're treating this one small thing like some huge slap in the face to anime fandom. Get over it will ya.

It is like a huge slap to the anime fandom, or at least to the ones who don't want moe taking over, as it has done in Japan. ANN is the biggest anime website in the West, y'know.

As for this notion that I should just "get over it", well, why should I? I mean, aren't I as entitled to dislike this article as much as you are entitled to like it?

Quote:
The one title on her list that does not surprise me in the least is Beck. I can't remember a title I've heard as much priase and good things about then this show. There have been some very good shows too in recent years but I think Beck takes the cake as they say. It's moving and engaging in a way few shows can achieve. I also can't think of another show that the staff behind it were so enthusiastic about.

Well, we've only got 2 volumes of BECK released here in the UK/Ireland and from what I've seen, BECK is indeed something special! However, the pacing, so far, has been a little off for me, and a lot of it seems to drag, but other than it, it's a great show and I'm glad I waited for the dub, instead of watching it subbed.

It's also nice to see that Le Chevalier D'Eon is on the list, however it does still baffle me that Mushi Shi was absent.

Splitter wrote:
It always seems like it's guys that are going off on tangents about moe, and not the girls that it should be offending if your claim should hold any water.

That's a pretty weird logic, to be honest.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
"Bigot"? Aren't you the one taking this a little too seriously?

and then...

Quote:
It is like a huge slap to the anime fandom, or at least to the ones who don't want moe taking over, as it has done in Japan. ANN is the biggest anime website in the West, y'know.

Merriam-Webster defines "bigot" as the following: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

And that's all I have to say on this.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:

Likely not, but I want to point out that we also have an upcoming Best Of 2007 Academy Awards-style article written by two of our long form critics, Carl Kimlinger and Theron Martin, both of whom are nuts about Mushishi and I'd be shocked if it weren't on there.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
CitizenGeek wrote:

Likely not, but I want to point out that we also have an upcoming Best Of 2007 Academy Awards-style article written by two of our long form critics, Carl Kimlinger and Theron Martin, both of whom are nuts about Mushishi and I'd be shocked if it weren't on there.

Oooooh, that should be interesting. Judging by their usually different tastes, it'll be like Siskel and Ebert back when "two thumbs up" actually meant something.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Quote:

As for this notion that I should just "get over it", well, why should I? I mean, aren't I as entitled to dislike this article as much as you are entitled to like it?

No one has said you can't. The thing is for starters condemning the whole article over one or two titles is hardly fair in itself. Not to mention you've taken it a step further and gone down the moe is evil and ruining anime route. You should get over it because it's just one article and not some official comprehensive list. I mean this was just a small simple recap for crying out loud yet you're treating it like it's ANN pandering moe onto everyone with the whole moe taking over comments. Lighten up.

Personally I'd love to see a staff favorites of 07 list. Maybe individual lists or a comprehensive staff list of what they thought the best titles of 07 were. I just think it would be interesting to see which titles the staff thought were the best of 07.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
We went through all this the first time the review came up.

... which is why I was so shocked to see it still there this time around. Her wounds from the initial backlash must have healed too well.

Aside from that, my only surprises were the high mention of FLAG (because of how late in the year it came out,) and the exclusion of Peach Girl & Suzuka from the list. Although I could see the latter dropping off because she became too infuriated thinking of the show to hit the copy/paste commands.
rekishi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

I see you have the same warped view of moe characteristics as most casual fans do. To be honest, there is no set definition for moe. It's more of an attuned response to certain character traits. Moe isn't so much about viewers wanting to rule over these character. It's more like they want to take care of them, like a paternal instinct one might say.

Much of moe is actually garnered from a sort of pity. Even with the rough tsundere-type, because they cannot express their feelings the way they want to, the viewer takes pity on them and becomes a "fan" so that to hope they can one day express their feelings clearly. Traits that many characters considered "moe" share are of the following: seriously, almost alienating, personality quirks, torturous pasts, and sincerity in everything they say or do to the point of being naive.

It is therefore misconstrued to say that moe is a matter of fans wanting cute girls to serve them.

i think you hit the nail right on the head...

you can't really define moe... since moe is a response to a characters actions, everyone feels moe for different things... and some don't feel it at all...

IMO when moe gets bad, is when the show tries too hard to garner this response from it's viewers... more and more shows are being geared towards this lately, and i think that is what is bad about the whole moe trend... not the moe response itself...

a show like moon phase, falls into the category of trying too hard... you have some little girl running around, pining "big brother" at the male lead and being sickeningly cute all the time... as someone who has an actual little sister in real life... i found hazuki from moon phase to be an annoying little brat... and if my sister ever acted like that, i'd slap her upside the head...

where as, if you took something like Gunslinger Girl... a show with obvious moe undertones without making it it's key focus... you feel moe towards, say henrietta, because her life was utter crap before she join the SWA. but afterwards, it's not exactly much better... but it tries to be... you feel sympathetic towards her plight, since you know it's better than her earlier life, but it's still a crappy situation...

of course, this is from my point of view... i'm sure a lot of people didn't feel anything whilst watching gunslinger girl... and liked it for the story alone, or not at all...

i'd class Air as a middle ground... it starts out not looking at all good... we have misuzu, who's a moe poster-girl if ever there was one... but the story develops her character... and we can see why she's like that... she's not a pathetic, week little 'pet girl' just for the sake of having a moe girl in the story...

(Air spoiler, if you're not planning on seeing air, then it's only spoiling a show you don't want to see anyways...)
spoiler[she's like that, because she was abandoned by her father, grew up with no friends, and dies at the age of 14... her life truly does suck ass... it's a complete train wreck that was 1000 years in the making... the best the story can do, is give her a little happiness before she kicks the bucket... which is what the story is about... so much so, that it takes the male lead out of the story for the last 3 episodes, and focuses on mizuzu and her step mum making up for 11 years of neglect...]

in truth... i would have thought that the key complaint against Air would be that it's too emo... rather than it being too moe... it certainly works hard to garner the moe response... but it does it by detailing a horribly sad story, that is quite believable and easy to relate to by anyone who has known someone who has died before their time due to illness... since, if you take all the fantasy-ness out of the story... is what Air is about... a girl, dying of a terminal illness, trying to get one moment of happiness out of what little remains of her life, which has been a total disaster from the get go...
stevek504

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally I'd love to see a staff favorites of 07 list. Maybe individual lists or a comprehensive staff list of what they thought the best titles of 07 were. I just think it would be interesting to see which titles the staff thought were the best of 07.

I agree! How about a top five and a bottom five by each of the staff? The reviews by Bamboo and others at ANN have helped me branch out into areas of anime I would not have been able to find on my own. The first anime I watched (and purchased) was All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku DASH! Thanks in part to these reviews, and the resulting discussions in the forum, I feel like I have come a long way in the past year.

Anyway, everyone has missed the most critical and glaring omission from this edition of Shelf Life - this week's Shelf Obsessed picture(s) Wink

Thanks Bamboo and ANN for a great 2007 – best wishes for 2008.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5