• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Worst) Of 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
"Rips off" the Matrix and Evangelion? Are you dumb? At most it pays homage to them, but I still think that's a huge stretch.

Do you know what the difference is between a "homage" and a "rip-off." Isn't a "homage" and a "rip-off" the same thing?

The denotative definition for "homage" is a special honor or respect shown publicly. That's the same as "rip-off?"
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Any content in Haruhi related to other genres and specific titles seemed like parody. The intent is clearly different from "ripping off". When you are "ripping something off" you're trying to pass it off as your own. When you're parodying something you're either poking fun at it or the concept in general. With parody, the source material is not "ripped off" since the derivation was meant to comment on it.

Now, finding such parodies humorous, relevant, or insightful is completely different. If that's what you mean to say, articulate it.

Last edited by Leebo on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
sakuharu23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate that Saiunkoku is probably not going to be picked up. Few shoujo titles are popular unless it has harem or shonen ai.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
The denotative definition for "homage" is a special honor or respect shown publicly. That's the same as "rip-off?"

Don't the people who first create something give blessings and green lights in order for someone else to use particular scenes and such? What about "royalties?"

I know that homages and rip-offs happen all the time. And lawsuits, the few that happen, happen when the original creator and the parties involved had been severely insulted.

But the question I'm asking: Why do you think someone has no validity when one looks at the same thing you're looking at and goes "rip-off?" Or maybe even, "overrated?"
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

Don't the people who first create something give blessings and green lights in order for someone else to use particular scenes and such? What about "royalties?"

I know that homages and rip-offs happen all the time. And lawsuits, the few that happen, happen when the original creator and the parties involved had been severely insulted.

But the question I'm asking: Why do you think someone has no validity when one looks at the same thing you're looking at and goes "rip-off?" Or maybe even, "overrated?"

I don't disagree that Haruhi Suzumiya may be overrated. I just think your claims that it's a rip-off of the Matrix and Evangelion are completely unfounded, and your unwillingness to elaborate on why you've made such claims only serve to further convince me that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
First, my apologies on not putting in the spoiler warning from the beginning. It never occurred to me that this would be an issue, but it probably should have. Zac has taken care of that issue, however.

Dargonxtc wrote:
I am surprised that the opening and closing for Ergo Proxy and the closer for Chevalier were not at least mentioned.

Truly fitting the emotions of their respective series as they are.

That was one of the things that fell to trimming when I decided the piece was starting to look too long. When I mention, "In a year replete with good openers. . ." two of the specific openers I was referring to were the ones you mention. Others in consideration included The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye, Ah! My Goddess: Flight of Fancy, When They Cry, and Pumpkin Scissors.

Someone else asked about Solty Rei. That one would have been my pick (and, I think, Carl's, too) for Most Improved Series, as it finished much stronger than it started, but again, we had to make cuts to keep this from gettiing too ridiculously long. (I also originally had a Most Pretentious Title award in for Ergo Proxy but cut it out to get in the well-earned Complete Bastard award.) Both Solty Rei and Air didn't make the cut for the "Best Series" awards because, while they finished strong, they didn't start that way. The titles Carl and I listed all were consistently good throughout the portions of their runs available in 2007.

And you Haruhi haters can lambaste that series all you want, but like it or not, it is an extremely well-made series with consistently excellent production values, clever writing that included many parodies and allusions (those aren't rip-offs, guys 'n gals), and an enormous degree of fan appeal. Kyon has far more character than most anime male leads out there (he was my #3 for Character of the Year) and for those who find Haruhi bitchy. . . well, that's kinda the point, isn't it? Besides, it's not every day that you run into a teenage character that actually has the power to enforce her extreme self-centered view of the world, which I found to be a very interesting twist.

And on Sauikoku: technically it hasn't been canceled, just suspended. Carl's concern is more that someone else won't finish distributing it because of what it is, and I share that concern as I have also taken a liking to the series. Karin could be in similar trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
I don't disagree that Haruhi Suzumiya may be overrated. I just think your claims that it's a rip-off of the Matrix and Evangelion are completely unfounded, and your unwillingness to elaborate on why you've made such claims only serve to further convince me that you have no idea what you're talking about.

spoiler[Big gigantic glowing man-monster thingy Kyon and Haruhi were running away from.

That scene where Ryouko was trying to kill Kyon and Yuki showed up to save him.

The whole character info on Haruhi alone.]

My unwillingness to elaborate was out of the hope that you had seen the show. And I've only seen parts of it here and there. And then you said that I don't know what I'm talking about.

That's one of the main reasons why I call myself an anime hobbyist instead of an anime "fan." (I'm trying my hardest not to get burnt like I did 8 years ago. But hey...)
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Your explanation goes to show you don't make a distinction between parody and "rip offs". If you don't acknowledge that there's a difference, the discussion can't really go any further.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the show about 3 times, but I fail to see how those are Matrix/Evangelion rip-offs.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And on Sauikoku: technically it hasn't been canceled, just suspended. Carl's concern is more that someone else won't finish distributing it because of what it is, and I share that concern as I have also taken a liking to the series. Karin could be in similar trouble.

And don't forget about Rozen Maiden and Higurashi as well. They're a couple of series that might never be finished if the Geneon situation doesn't get resolved soon. (I'm actually more concerned for Higurashi than for Karin and RM - at least with the latter two I'm reading the manga as backup. No such luck with Higurashi unfortunately.)
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I've seen the show about 3 times, but I fail to see how those are Matrix/Evangelion rip-offs.

QFT.

I guess I can see the Matrix thing in a vague, inspecific sort of way. Still borderline at best. The Evangelion one is pretty unfounded.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

QFT.

I guess I can see the Matrix thing in a vague, inspecific sort of way. Still borderline at best. The Evangelion one is pretty unfounded.

Again, Tyrenol doesn't like the show because Kyon gets hit by Haruhi and the oppression of white males through cartoon violence gets his blood boiling. Anything else he says is spurious, that's the root of it.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

QFT.

Again, Tyrenol doesn't like the show because Kyon gets hit by Haruhi and the oppression of white males through cartoon violence gets his blood boiling. Anything else he says is spurious, that's the root of it.

I was going to quote his post and give specific reasons why those aren't rip-offs or to ask him to elaborate more, but I'll just go with what you said instead and let the issue go. Smile
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

QFT.

Very Happy
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
When I mention, "In a year replete with good openers. . ." two of the specific openers I was referring to were the ones you mention. Others in consideration included The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye, Ah! My Goddess: Flight of Fancy, When They Cry, and Pumpkin Scissors.

Well it's the thought that counts Anime smile

I guess I was expecting more like an awards show where you also get to hear what got nominated but didn't win. You did that for "Of the Year", but then you guys also went into some small descriptions as to why they were mentioned. I understand that if that was how the MO was going to be, how that would get to be quite long, very quickly. For the rest of the awards I think a simple list of honorable mentions would have sufficed. But I also understand how lists in any form are looked down upon at ANN.

Anyway, a mention on the forums is good enough for me. I know you guys put a lot of thought into this. It would have taken me forever to narrow something like this down. So good job you two.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about The Third, I love that one too. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8