• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Saturday Night Live Spoofs 'J-Pop Talk Show'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
Surprised not a lot of people have mentioned this College Humor skit.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that Sensei Mark was the best part of the skit; without that character the skit would have been nowhere near as good. I tend to not really care about "weaboos" like these characters, but I do know that I have seen them. Hell, I remember being in the Rutgers Bookstore in New Brunswick once and looking at the small manga selection it had. There were two other college students there, and after looking at the manga they went "Ikimasu? Ikimasu." That was about 3 or 4 years ago, and even then it just felt awkward to hear them talk like that.

I would like to see this skit become a returning segment, though, as there is plenty more to make fun of. Hell, I'd love to see this skit make up a con and have those characters attend it.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
... I would like to see this skit become a returning segment, though, as there is plenty more to make fun of. Hell, I'd love to see this skit make up a con and have those characters attend it.
Yes, they could gush about their experience, and show footage from the event and they are a walking calamity. Then in another epsiode of JPAFTN they try to organize their own con, gush about what a wonderful success it is, and feature video from the event that shows what a calamity it was.
innerchihiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
Well I loved it. I study Japanese from the professor's point of view, but like anime enough that I've come across people like this before, so I got all of the aspects.
The girlfriend was the best though. Very Happy
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
I wonder who put the Candy Candy reference in there. It's not really something American non-anime fans watching the show would get (compared to other series like Sailor Moon or Yu-Gi-Oh), but it definitely made me laugh. Not so much the rest.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
New Link to J-Pop America Fun Time Now! for the Non-Americans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crtcgzOpplQ
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Heh, read this from some of the forums where weaboos are actually getting offended: Laughing

"They're not poking fun at Japan or anime - they're poking fun at you!"
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, read this from some of the forums where weaboos are actually getting offended: Laughing

Would be helpful if people POSTED LINKS to said discussions. Spent 15 minutes looking at Crunchyroll and found no threads on SNL.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Would be helpful if people POSTED LINKS to said discussions. Spent 15 minutes looking at Crunchyroll and found no threads on SNL.

Here's the CR thread:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/16/snl-pokes-fun-at-fans-with-j-pop-america-fun-time-now.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

Thank You. Or, as they say in Japan, nigiblahblahblah....
sailorsean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I usually find SNL unfunny. But I gave a few chuckles here.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
la_contessa wrote:
Wow, I never figured the people from SNL (a show I don't watch and in which I have little interest) would read my mind. People like the ones parodied in the skit are a big reason I stopped going to cons. Several posters have said they've never encountered people like this, so maybe they're fading away and I can stop being a grumpy old otaku . . .

I don't think the point was that the SNL writers only know about the Speed Racer dub, so that's what they parodied--I think the point was that the CHARACTERS don't actually know anything about anime or Japanese culture, so the Speed Racer-esque dubs are all they really know about (that, or they watch Japanese game shows on the internet without subtitles or understanding Japanese, and so just mimic the gestures and exclamations rather than what people are actually saying/doing).

Agreed. I guess I'm both surprised and not so surprised by the reaction to this skit. Anime fans takes themselves way too seriously apparently. The point of the skit imo, wasn't to showcase that this is what anime is and look how lame it is, it was to showcase this is how some hardcore weeaboo anime fans behave and look how lame and misinformed they are. What's not funny about that? Because even if this isn't the majority of how anime fans behave this is still how some fans behave. You know those fans who believe the land of the rising sun is awesome sauce, and would sell their kidneys to visit there or live there, those fans who know zero japanese outside of the few phrases they learn from watching anime but still think that's enough to make them fluent? Yeah, those are the fans this skit is making fun of. I have no idea why everyone seems to think this is a jab at anime itself, I thought it was pretty apparent this is a joke on those weeaboo fans especially with that Japanese teacher involved to show how incredibly misinformed these two students were (who was easily the funniest person in the sketch). Anyway people need to relax. This skit was harmless fun, it's not gonna anymore further skew any non-fan's limited perspective of anime than the already very limited notion that they have, and obviously it's not gonna change any fan's already establish view of anime.

Quoted for truth.

What's more ironic to me than the ones angry about this skit are the ones, such as a friend of mine, who are completely oblivious that they're being made fun of even while laughing with everyone else. The ones who think the sketch is making fun of anime fans in general. My friend (he says he knows "a chibi" amount of Japanese and doesn't buy translated manga because they replace the "kanu" with English sound effects) thought this sketch was hilarious.

I don't have the heart to break it to him. SNL wasn't making fun of anime fans or cosplayers. They weren't even making fun of American "otaku."

They were making fun of you.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
New Link to J-Pop America Fun Time Now! for the Non-Americans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crtcgzOpplQ

Thanks for posting the new link. By the time I hit this thread, the old Youtube video had been yanked.

I stopped watching SNL years ago (I still think their best stuff was produced in the seventies), but this skit made me chuckle a few times.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
caa1000 wrote:
Americans can't relate to Japanese Anime, except for Pokemon. But, a very rare and unknown character, from Japan, gets mentioned on NBC's SNL? I just laughed myself when the 1976's Japanese Anime Candy Candy was mentioned with the line: "We need to leave Pony's Home to find our true love!" Really, this Anime is quite rare to American audiences and the only thing that could be found at least, on YouTube, is the unpopular English dub made by the unknown company ZIV International, which launched the title on Video back in 1981-82, under the Family Home Video series.

Technically the company that released it for ZIV was "Family Home Entertainment", which later on released many familiar classics on tape like G.I. Joe, The Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and even Robotech.

Quote:
Sure, you can find the whole series dubbed to Spanish, Greek or Italian, but as an English dub, only the first 2 episodes and if you are lucky, you may find other episodes in Japanese language with English subs. The SNL cast may have revived the interest in this anime, but quite the American audiences are not really getting the real taste of Candy Candy! Exclamation

I suppose if they showed a picture of what Candice White looked like, it may help. I'll give the writer of the skit credit for throwing that in anyway than something more current (the show was aired in French up in Canada too by the way via Radio-Canada so perhaps someone might remember up there too).
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think people who take it seriously are way too uptight, but
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
What's more ironic to me than the ones angry about this skit are the ones, such as a friend of mine, who are completely oblivious that they're being made fun of even while laughing with everyone else. The ones who think the sketch is making fun of anime fans in general. My friend (he says he knows "a chibi" amount of Japanese and doesn't buy translated manga because they replace the "kanu" with English sound effects) thought this sketch was hilarious.

I don't have the heart to break it to him. SNL wasn't making fun of anime fans or cosplayers. They weren't even making fun of American "otaku."

They were making fun of you.

.. see I think that's just entirely your projection of wanting to cast judgement. It's like "racist" jokes and impressions (which I find funny as hell when done simply as a portrayal without trying to make a point), the people being "made fun of" could still laugh while still being quite aware. I've participated in such joking myself; people can be aware of not having a good grasp of the language--even when he/she is not aware at the time--and they can still keep on making amusing blunders and still laugh so long as the point of the joke is not to make them feel like a stupid moron. I love jokes that a lot consider crude and offensive, but the LEAST funny kind of joke is the Neslon "haha" finger pointing bully kind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6