• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tiger & Bunny TV Anime to Get English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I;ve got a few VA ideas so far. Let me know what you think

Kotetsu: Troy Baker or Travis Willingham
Barnaby: Johnny Young Bosch
Blue Rose: Michelle Ruff
Dragon Kid: Laura Bailey
Origami Cyclone: Yuri Lowenthal
Sky High: Patrick Seitz
Rock Bison: Kyle Herbert
Lunatic: Crispin Freeman
Maverick: Kirk Thorton

I have been waiting to do this and now that Divineking has so graciously gotten the ball rolling:

Kotetsu: has to be Steve Blum...has to
Barnaby: I toyed with the idea of JYB, but I'm leaning toward Troy Baker.
Blue Rose: Michelle Ruff is indeed a good choice. I'd have no problems with her.
Dragon Kid: No. I love Laura Bailey, but this calls for Hilary Haag or Monica Rial.
Origami Cyclone: Yuri? I didn't even consider him, but that's a nice fit.
Sky High: Seitz? Not bad, but I'd rather have Jason Douglas or, better yet, Andrew Love.
Rock Bison: I like the idea of Kyle Herbert, but John Swasey wouldn't be too bad either.
Lunatic: Crispin Freeman...all the way, baby. Wink
Maverick: Oh, Kirk Thorton...you know I often forget about him. That's not a bad choice. I would like him or Chris Ayres, though Ayres voice might be a little too...unrefined.

And one more that you didn't mention:
Agnes: Luci Christian just seems to fit so well.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
If "Tiger & Bunny" won't work as a title for US views how about "Wild Tiger" instead.

Of course this is all moot if turns out there's some contractual reason with Sunrise preventing a rename.

I'd be curious who they'd cast for Kaede, she'd need to be someone who is good with kids voices without sounding utterly bratty but maybe just a touch so?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
They sure took their sweet time announcing this. I mean, who buys merchandise rights before announcing a dub even?

Looking forward to hearing the dub though, I thought some of the later eps were pretty weak, but if the dub is good I wouldn't mind throwing some money down. Hope whoever they pick to do Tiger's voice fits well - Im having a hard time picturing who could fill the shoes of his seiyuu.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Been waiting for this annoucement, kinda irked they haven't said anything before now. But as for English VA's, I have always thought that Scott McNeil would be perfect for Kotetsu. I don't really have any other suggestions for the others but from the first episode it's been Scott McNeil. I love Steve Blum though and can see where everyone is coming from (and Crispin Freeman as Lunatic is perfect.)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I just hope they don't use Ocean, which seems to have been phoning in their anime dubs lately.

See I like Ocean because I have a soft spot for many of their VAs, but I've heard a few people say they've been less than impressed with Ocean recently.

Ocean was the first group of VAs I followed because I liked Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing, their early work like Ranma 1/2 was better than anyone else. The problem is that while everyone else has improved Ocean has gotten worse, their best Gundam dub is still Gundam Wing, with Gundam 00 being a horrible dub. I just can't trust them as anymore.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:

I think if it got airing later on on Cartoon Network or something it could do well. But in this climate anime TV wise I doubt that's likely.

Don't think CN is ever going to show anime again unless the series has a direct toy tie in (you know stuff like pokemon, bakugan, and yugioh), and as much as AS seems like a given, late night tv seems as though it will be cutting out the potential tween/teen audience that would really buy into a superhero show. It might not be basic cable, but given how well they embraced DBkai and now the DBZ movies, and given all the superhero action shows they already have, nicktoons doesn't seem like a horrible home for it.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Hopefully Viz won't get the home video rights to this (or maybe they already do?). I have a feeling it would be another unfinished series.

Pretty much this.

With Viz bad habit of leaving most of their releases unfinished except for Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, ect, I'm skeptical about any home video release from them now. Hench why I never bought Keikkashi.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
I thought Viz's main VO contacts were in Canada....

They have been using LA studios like Studiopolis and Salami for awhile now for a lot for their recent anime titles. It seems likely they'll follow the same suit for this one.

They have also been using Bang Zoom as well for recent titles like Kekkaishi & Vampire Knight.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Hopefully Viz won't get the home video rights to this (or maybe they already do?). I have a feeling it would be another unfinished series.

Pretty much this.

With Viz bad habit of leaving most of their releases unfinished except for Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, ect, I'm skeptical about any home video release from them now. Hench why I never bought Keikkashi.

That kind of thinking makes no sense, Viz stops DVDs only when they don't make a profit. By not buying Keikkashi you are doing a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Pretty much this.

Well Viz has actually promoted this one unlike half the stuff they don;t finish so i think the odds are pretty good that they'll finish this. It's only 25 episodes anyway so even in the extremely unlikely event it fails it wouldn;t be as much of finacial risk to finish it.

Last edited by Divineking on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
....I might watch (minus any dozen topless guys scenes) it now that there is going to a dub. I'd like to hear that there is going to be a Heroman dub.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:

I think if it got airing later on on Cartoon Network or something it could do well. But in this climate anime TV wise I doubt that's likely.

Don't think CN is ever going to show anime again unless the series has a direct toy tie in (you know stuff like pokemon, bakugan, and yugioh), and as much as AS seems like a given, late night tv seems as though it will be cutting out the potential tween/teen audience that would really buy into a superhero show. It might not be basic cable, but given how well they embraced DBkai and now the DBZ movies, and given all the superhero action shows they already have, nicktoons doesn't seem like a horrible home for it.

Actually that would work yes, another place it would work, but it will never happen because it only shows Disney properties (and Marvel now that they own them) is Disney XD. Of course I am a Brit so It'd probably screen on a completely different channel over here anyway if at all. I just think a TV broadcast aimed at the same audience as the DCAU was (Justice League, Batman The Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, Batman Beyond etc) would really work. It's a bit less episodic than those shows so syndication could be problematic with them being played out of order but I really think with the right marketing they could be on to a winner here.

Last edited by GracieLizzy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy that Viz made this announcement and I look forward to what they will do with this show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
First, I think they should stick with the name "Tiger & Bunny." The show seemed to be a success on Hulu with that name and changing it now is ill thought out, IMO. Also, a lot of TV show names, Anime and Live Action U.S., potentially sound weird to those who haven't heard of them. "Death Note," "Lost," "Doctor Who," are really not that much better of names but they were successful so most people know what they are now ("Death Note" sounds like a show about a song that kills, verse a notebook if you hadn't heard about the manga, at least to me). What really threw online anime fandom about the name "Tiger & Bunny" was the lack of promotion before the show came out. I remember it was listed as "The Tiger & Bunny Show" at one online site before it aired and since "Show" often can indicate kids show it was "like what is this anyway?" Once the premise got out, and the show itself made a good effort in letting the viewers understand where the title comes from (it's a bit of a joke that is clearly explained in the first two episodes and fits in with the shows humor), it wasn't a problem with online viewers and I don't think it would be with North American viewers either (and if it gets on Adult Swim the title "Tiger & Bunny" is going to make a lot more sense than some of their original line up titles make to me, FWIW Wink ).

As for who is going be in the dub, it's hard to tell at this point. It probably is going to be a U.S. dub but it could go to Studiopolis, Bang Zoom, Salami, NYAV Post or another group we're not thinking of and whether it is Union or not will also affect who is in the cast (Blum and Freeman are Union only). I also don't think we can rule out Canada either (btw, I'm thinking I've heard that Ocean isn't the only group currently doing dubs in Vancouver but Ocean has been VIZ's group of choice in the past) and it's possible Sunrise will have a say in the dub crew as well which could make the choice here more up in the air. I think it's going to come down to economics - is the U.S. currently cheaper than Canada when it comes to paying for the dub, and how likely/lucrative is a Canadian TV run going to be? It should never be forgotten that Canadian law favors Canadian dubs (Canada limits how much non Canadian made TV the will let their channels air and Canadian dubs count as Canadian made), unless something has happened recently that has changed that. VIZ has also sent big shows like Death Note and Inuyasha to Canada, so a U.S. dub isn't a done deal in my mind. I'm not sure who I'm hoping gets the dub other than whoever gets it had better put 100% effort into making it a great dub or I'm going to be unhappy about it Sad [I know the Canadians can do good dubs (Black Lagoon and Death Note, among others) but they have seemed to have been struggling again lately with good dubs so it's a worry (IMO the problem up there is voice direction verse acting - they have good actors but they need someone to get the best out of the actors to get dubs up to Black Lagoon level dubs and it isn't happening lately Confused ). ]

As for having a dub being a no brainier - it's VIZ. We could write an entire thread on the strange things that make no sense to us that they've done in the last few years (like why on Earth has it taken this long to get out IY:FA?! That dub was finished in January 2011 for *bleep*sake and why is Monster only download only to own, if you want the entire series? ::gahhhhhh!:: ). That said, getting the product licensing before the dub does make sense. The show was airing on Hulu subbed and they may have been thinking they might not have to dub the show and could still make money. I think they can now see a even bigger profit being made with a dub and a potential North American TV run(s) and the dub is now a total go for them.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

They have also been using Bang Zoom as well for recent titles like Kekkaishi & Vampire Knight.

Kekkaishi is Studiopolis and Salami, not Bang Zoom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4