• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

Can you present a listing of the titles that Bandai (for example) has licensed and show that this trend plays out? Or is it jst that the sci-fi titles you have bought have mainly been Bandai ones? Can you similarly show listings of other anime companies to show that they lack, in comparison, in the sci-fi section.

While I'm sure that as far as you know you are correct, we don't know how far you know (er..) though so you'll need to present some kind of tangible information to assess.

Hell we could go statistical and run the t-test on it for kicks.
t = |x1 – x2|/ ((σ1^2/n) + (σ2^2/n))^1/2

Or not...

(actually that would be stupid, we'd lack numerical values for the t-test to work anyway.)

Bandai products in my collection-
.hack series=gaming
Angel Links=sci fi
Argentosoma=sci-fi
Banner/Crest of the Star=sci fi
Betterman=sci-fi
Big O=mech which is really sci-fi
Brainpowered=mech/sci fi
Cowboy Bebop=sci fi(space, right?)
Dragon Drive=shonen/fantasy & as a longtime sci-fi fan I know dragons count.
Eatman=sci-fi(what else?)
Escaflowne=mech/sci-fi
Geneshaft=sci-fi
GitS titles=sci fi
Gundam titles=mech/sci fi
Haunted Junction=horror comedy
Kikaider=sci fi
Love Hina-comedy harem
Outlaw Star=sci fi
Overman King Gainer=mech/sci fi
Patlabor movie=sci fi
Please teacher=sci fi comedy(alien)
Ronin Warriors=Saint Seiya rip off
Saber Marionette=sci fi
Scryed=post apocalyptic sci fi
Serial Experiment Lain=sci fi
Silent Mobius=sci fi
Wolf's Rain=fantasy/post apocalyptic sci fi
Yukikaze=sci fi
Z-Mind=sci fi

I think it's pretty definitive they lean toward sci fi.

I didn't say they are the only licensee of sci fi, just they lean to it like MediaBlasters is about the only company still putting out yaoi. I really don't expect Funi nor ADV to license Love Mode.

I have 2000 dvds. Want to go for ADV? I have about 500 of their dvds.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

There's no hard rule

Funny how that was my point in the first place and yet here you are going on and on attempting to disprove what I said! Odd that!

dormcat wrote:
In fact, the relationship between a licensee and an animation studio is much more important than this so-called "genre orientation." Cool

Thank you, this is very much true.

Last edited by Zac on Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
In fact, the relationship between a licensee and an animation studio is much more important than this so-called "genre orientation." Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
When manga derives from the anime as the original source, I find the manga to be... crap.

In fact, I find most derivative works to be... lacking, regardless if it be manga to anime, or novel to film, etc.

This is why I find that 95% of the time or so, that the manga is inherently better because it is limited to the original author's intent, pacing, writing, etc. It fits better, and you will find the majority of people who do read frequently comment on how the book was better than the movie.

I have much less of a problem with it being cast as a "the original source is usually the better one" argument, and am glad to see acknowledgments that "mixed media" productions and manga-second productions are at least as often worse than the anime as people say about anime versions of manga series. The poster I was responding to wasn't doing that.

Still think that too many people give too much weight to the value of the "creator's original intent" when judging the relative quality of a secondary production, though. That makes the assumption that the original creator is almost always right or using the content in the best possible way, and across all media I have not found that to be the case anywhere near 95% of the time.

Well, the latter point about how much weight should be given to the original creator's intent is probably something we have to agree to disagree on. Personally though, if it is that creator's story, it should be valued.... it's his (or her) characters, point of view, story, pacing, etc.

I mean, if you go too far to the other side, you may as well as validate all the fan fic authors who turn around and pair certain characters who have no are doing things with each other that has no business existing.

So yes, I would very much say that the assumption that the original creator is almost always right is the view that I do adhere to - and in my opinion here, anything less is disrespectful to the author.

Now, my use of 95% was a bit of an exaggeration here to make my point, but I still feel it's true far more often than not. Still, it's a subjective view...

Regarding derivative works, I don't say that the derivative isn't good, but I still find it pales in comparison to the original. I am in no way saying that the derivative work shouldn't be enjoyed though. Fair enough? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

There's no hard rule

Funny how that was my point in the first place and yet here you are going on and on attempting to disprove what I said! Odd that!

dormcat wrote:

Thank you, this is very much true.

Hentai4me asked me to prove Bandai favored sci fi. I think I did.

It's not a hard rule like "Bandai is the only studio that can license sci fi & they will license nothing else"

More Wienerschnitzel is known for hot dogs, so they tend to sell hot dogs. Yes, they have burgers, but their fame is hot dogs. I don't expect to buy hot dogs at McDonalds, but I'm sure if their marketing team decided they could make a decent profit off it, McDonalds would test market hot dogs.

Bandai obviously does well with sci fi. Yes, they have a few other types of titles, but they have an overwhelming amount of sci fi. Their fans are apparently sci fi fans.
WHen I think of Bandai. I think of sci fi. When I think of Geneon, my mental image was they usually put out a quality product, but were a tad out of touch with the American audience by their regular lack of extras & almost slavish devotion to smaller episode counts. (often 4). I did count on them for shojo not aimed at the 10 yr old market, in particular the harem stuff like Fushigi Yugi. Other companies dabble in shojo, but seem to get burned like Funi/Kodocha & back off. I expected their label on my horror that wasn't on the slasher/gore side (Hellsing has style so I don't consider it slasher).
ADV was a fan-start-up company & it seems a lot of their stuff is stuff that appeals to someone at the company when one listens to the commentaries they include on so many of their titles.

Pretty much all the licensees (businesses in general?) find something is successful for them & they'll seek out similar stuff. Just about everyone seems to have voiced the opinion Toei's a bear to work with so obviously studio rapport isn't the only sure thing.

MediaBlasters has found the yaoi market supports them, so they announced recently (according to this site as I recall) they are backing away from any Giant robo/mech titles to focus on their yaoi & hentai lines which apparently do well for them. No, they don't have to license every yaoi title made. Yes, someone else can license a yaoi title to see how it does.
But I really expect Love Mode to be licensed by MediaBlasters if it is brought over.

Does anyone expect any other company to salvage Saiunkoku? Your year-end review critics commented on how unlikely it is. I'm hoping remotely on MediaBlasters picking it up cheap as an abandoned title since it's most often compared to 12 Kingdoms, but it's a very long shot right now (about the same as Geneon managing to resurface). Maybe Funi will do a package deal like Geneon tried to do with ADV & cut a deal for all of Geneon's stuff since (according to this site) they were interested in a few of the titles like Hellsing Ultimate & Sailor Moon. Again, very remote odds. It's the only real hope I have of seeing the end of Shonen Onmyoji.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Bandai products in my collection-
.hack series=gaming
Angel Links=sci fi
Argentosoma=sci-fi
Banner/Crest of the Star=sci fi
Betterman=sci-fi
Big O=mech which is really sci-fi
Brainpowered=mech/sci fi
Cowboy Bebop=sci fi(space, right?)
Dragon Drive=shonen/fantasy & as a longtime sci-fi fan I know dragons count.
Eatman=sci-fi(what else?)
Escaflowne=mech/sci-fi
Geneshaft=sci-fi
GitS titles=sci fi
Gundam titles=mech/sci fi
Haunted Junction=horror comedy
Kikaider=sci fi
Love Hina-comedy harem
Outlaw Star=sci fi
Overman King Gainer=mech/sci fi
Patlabor movie=sci fi
Please teacher=sci fi comedy(alien)
Ronin Warriors=Saint Seiya rip off
Saber Marionette=sci fi
Scryed=post apocalyptic sci fi
Serial Experiment Lain=sci fi
Silent Mobius=sci fi
Wolf's Rain=fantasy/post apocalyptic sci fi
Yukikaze=sci fi
Z-Mind=sci fi

I think it's pretty definitive they lean toward sci fi.

I didn't say they are the only licensee of sci fi, just they lean to it like MediaBlasters is about the only company still putting out yaoi. I really don't expect Funi nor ADV to license Love Mode.

I have 2000 dvds. Want to go for ADV? I have about 500 of their dvds.

So what you actually meant was that in YOUR collection the majority of Bandai releases are sci fi. Thus as far as you know it is the case. I can't dispute your list, but I didn't ask for what your collection contained. I asked for a complete listing of ALL TITLES BANDAI has licensed and then we can look through that to see if they do indeed have a leaning towards sci fi and with dates as well we could track if this is a new, older, or continued favour for such titles.

It is entirely possible that Bandai do indeed lean towards sci fi, but this list is not what I asked for and it does not prove that Bandai have such a slant, just that you have happened to buy sci fi from Bandai.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Just to make things easier here is a complete list, as complete as I could get, of Bandai ENTERTAINMENTS products. This does not include Bandai Visual but I suspect you both simply want BE's list and not BV's. So here it is;

http://www.bandai-ent.com/products/video.cfm?o=t&q=a

I would also say that their apparent deal with Sunrise that gets them every Gundam series is a huge block of their science fiction titles. probably a good 1/3.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

So what you actually meant was that in YOUR collection the majority of Bandai releases are sci fi. Thus as far as you know it is the case. I can't dispute your list, but I didn't ask for what your collection contained. I asked for a complete listing of ALL TITLES BANDAI has licensed and then we can look through that to see if they do indeed have a leaning towards sci fi and with dates as well we could track if this is a new, older, or continued favour for such titles.

It is entirely possible that Bandai do indeed lean towards sci fi, but this list is not what I asked for and it does not prove that Bandai have such a slant, just that you have happened to buy sci fi from Bandai.

From this site's listings for Bandai releases minus the stuff I listed
Agent Aika (OAV)-spy
Angel Tales (TV)-no idea-shojo?
Arjuna (TV)-sci fi
Avenger (TV)-sci fi
AWOL - Absent WithOut Leave (TV)-? sci fi
Ayakashi Ayashi (TV)-historical
Blue Submarine No.6 (OAV)-? sci fi
Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran (TV)-historical
Clamp School (TV)-Clamp and technically if it follows the manga there's mech & a Space Prince.
Clockwork Fighters Hiwou's War (TV)-? sci fi or mech
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV)-CLamp & sci fi
D.I.C.E. (TV)-I vaguely recall this was sci fi
Dan Doh!! (TV)-?mech
Di Gi Charat Nyo (TV)-sci fi
Don't Leave Me Alone, Daisy (TV) ? slice of life?
Ehrgeiz (TV)-? mech or sci fi
Eureka Seven (TV)-mech
Fancy Lala (TV)-shojo
Fantastic Children (TV)-sci fi
Flag (TV)-? mech
Future GPX Cyber Formula (TV)-sci fi
Galaxy Angel (TV)-sci fi
Hoop Days-Shonen
Immortal Grand Prix (TV)-sci fi
Infinite Ryvius (TV)-sci fi
Jikuu Boukenki Zentrix (TV) ? believe it was mech or sci fi
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (movie)- ? sci fi
Jubei-chan - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch (TV)-thought this was Geneon. Fantasy/mix historical (super hero that putting on an eyepatch makes her super ninja?
Junkers Come Here (movie)-?site says slice of life, but I say talking dogs that grant wishes are fantasy.
Kaze no Yojimbo (TV)-I thought this was Geneon. Mystery
Magical Meow Meow Taruto (TV)-magical girl which is fantasy, but I'll give you shojo
Mars Daybreak (TV)-sci fi
Melty Lancer (OAV)-sci fi
Monkey Magic (TV)-?fantasy?
My-HiME (TV)-? forget
My-Otome (TV)-? forget
Pilot Candidate (TV)-sci fi
Planetes (TV)-sci fi
Rescue Me: Mave-Chan (OAV)-?
Robonimal Panda-Z: The Robonimation (TV)-sci fi
Samurai Champloo (TV)-My dvds are from Geneon
Scrapped Princess (TV)-I say fantasy. Site says mech
Spirit of Wonder Scientific Boys Club (OAV)-?sci fi
Stratos 4 (TV)-sci fi
Tenamonya Voyagers (OAV)-? sci fi
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie)-? sci fi
Tide-Line Blue (TV)-?sci fi
Toward the Terra (TV)-sci fi
Witch Hunter Robin (TV)-I say at least fantasy if not sci fi
Zegapain (TV) -? sci fi

a ? means I checked what this site says. Obviously I forgot a couple & mentioned it when I did.

29 from my prior list-25 sci fi. This site lists Ronin Wariors as sci fi & . hack titles are as sci fi as Tron so 27 out of 29 + 50 (I contest Samurai Champloo. I swear the dvd I watched this weekend had the Geneon logo)
35 more sci fi for 60 out of 79.
Some of the ? I forgot could be sci fi, but I didn't count them.

Satisfied?
I only counted mass titles once so I only counted Gundam once or yeah, there would have been way more than 79 total & 60 sci fi fantasy. I didn't count Junkers ot Jubei-chan even though I have Jubei

And Zac-you wanted a list of titles showing such a bias a company had I thought.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Champloo is definitely a Geneon title, which explains why I spent so much for even a used copy of the boxset. Razz

Regarding the good ol' manga vs. anime debate, I seem to remember posting about this just a month ago in response to another column, but what the hell, I'll repeat the same points. I've generally always favored original text versions of stories over their movie/TV adaptations, but I'll never claim to be any sort of manga fan. That isn't really based on any prejudice against manga specifically, but simply because I really dislike the whole comic-book format as a whole. I find it very tiresome to jump all over the page to follow the flow of text, and I often have difficulty trying to figure out exactly what the heck is going on image-wise. Either let me sit back and view the scene presented fluidly, or let me picture it in my own mind, but don't force me to interpolate between random snapshots. Like another poster mentioned earlier, it all smacks far too much of picture books to me. As beautiful as the art in some of them was (you rock, Chris van Allsburg), I pretty much outgrew them by the time I got to kindergarten, and I have no desire to go back.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
There is also one other factor to consider with the anime or manga debate. It may not have anything to do with the actual material in any way but it's still a big factor for many, and that is convenience. You can take a manga with you a lot easier then you can an anime. You have to take the dvd and then find something to play the dvd in. Even with downloads, legal or not, you still need a source of power even if it is stored in a laptop. A manga is again easier to take around with you then that laptop. Some people simply like the versatility and ease reading a manga brings. Plus it's much easier to take care of the material then a dvd which one good scratch can ruin. While it has nothing to do with the material itself in any way I know several people who prefer manga for this reason I mentioned. I'm just mentioning it as food for thought honestly and not making any real point. Consider it simple ramblings.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Plus it's much easier to take care of the material then a dvd which one good scratch can ruin. While it has nothing to do with the material itself in any way I know several people who prefer manga for this reason I mentioned. I'm just mentioning it as food for thought honestly and not making any real point. Consider it simple ramblings.

It's funny, but I'd view this part of the argument in the other direction. It's fairly easy to keep DVDs in mint condition, provided you're not ham-handed when handling them. However, when reading any book repeatedly, you're going to inevitably wind up with a creased binding, discoloration on the page edges from the oil in your skin, the occasional smudge, and all sorts of wear-and-tear on the cover. I've been an avid reader for most of my life, and even though I'm reasonably careful now, the books I've read the most are easy to identify; heck, sometimes I wonder what's holding my Lord of the Rings set together. Razz

You are dead-on about the portability, unfortunately. At the very least, one can make another good argument for legally purchasing series, seeing as how a DVD is just about infinitely more compatible than a bunch of questionably-obtained files in some arcane container format.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

From this site's listings for Bandai releases minus the stuff I listed
Agent Aika (OAV)-spy
Angel Tales (TV)-no idea-shojo?
Arjuna (TV)-sci fi
Avenger (TV)-sci fi
AWOL - Absent WithOut Leave (TV)-? sci fi
Ayakashi Ayashi (TV)-historical
Blue Submarine No.6 (OAV)-? sci fi
Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran (TV)-historical
Clamp School (TV)-Clamp and technically if it follows the manga there's mech & a Space Prince.
Clockwork Fighters Hiwou's War (TV)-? sci fi or mech
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV)-CLamp & sci fi
D.I.C.E. (TV)-I vaguely recall this was sci fi
Dan Doh!! (TV)-?mech
Di Gi Charat Nyo (TV)-sci fi
Don't Leave Me Alone, Daisy (TV) ? slice of life?
Ehrgeiz (TV)-? mech or sci fi
Eureka Seven (TV)-mech
Fancy Lala (TV)-shojo
Fantastic Children (TV)-sci fi
Flag (TV)-? mech
Future GPX Cyber Formula (TV)-sci fi
Galaxy Angel (TV)-sci fi
Hoop Days-Shonen
Immortal Grand Prix (TV)-sci fi
Infinite Ryvius (TV)-sci fi
Jikuu Boukenki Zentrix (TV) ? believe it was mech or sci fi
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (movie)- ? sci fi
Jubei-chan - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch (TV)-thought this was Geneon. Fantasy/mix historical (super hero that putting on an eyepatch makes her super ninja?
Junkers Come Here (movie)-?site says slice of life, but I say talking dogs that grant wishes are fantasy.
Kaze no Yojimbo (TV)-I thought this was Geneon. Mystery
Magical Meow Meow Taruto (TV)-magical girl which is fantasy, but I'll give you shojo
Mars Daybreak (TV)-sci fi
Melty Lancer (OAV)-sci fi
Monkey Magic (TV)-?fantasy?
My-HiME (TV)-? forget
My-Otome (TV)-? forget
Pilot Candidate (TV)-sci fi
Planetes (TV)-sci fi
Rescue Me: Mave-Chan (OAV)-?
Robonimal Panda-Z: The Robonimation (TV)-sci fi
Samurai Champloo (TV)-My dvds are from Geneon
Scrapped Princess (TV)-I say fantasy. Site says mech
Spirit of Wonder Scientific Boys Club (OAV)-?sci fi
Stratos 4 (TV)-sci fi
Tenamonya Voyagers (OAV)-? sci fi
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie)-? sci fi
Tide-Line Blue (TV)-?sci fi
Toward the Terra (TV)-sci fi
Witch Hunter Robin (TV)-I say at least fantasy if not sci fi
Zegapain (TV) -? sci fi

a ? means I checked what this site says. Obviously I forgot a couple & mentioned it when I did.

29 from my prior list-25 sci fi. This site lists Ronin Wariors as sci fi & . hack titles are as sci fi as Tron so 27 out of 29 + 50 (I contest Samurai Champloo. I swear the dvd I watched this weekend had the Geneon logo)
35 more sci fi for 60 out of 79.
Some of the ? I forgot could be sci fi, but I didn't count them.

Satisfied?
I only counted mass titles once so I only counted Gundam once or yeah, there would have been way more than 79 total & 60 sci fi fantasy. I didn't count Junkers ot Jubei-chan even though I have Jubei

And Zac-you wanted a list of titles showing such a bias a company had I thought.

Perfect.

This is; unless anyone else has something to counter it; pretty good proof that bandai does have a preference for sci fi titles.

Now to complete the picture we would need to check the licensing dates to see if this is a new trend, old trend which they no longer follow or a continued trend. Further we would need to look at the subgenres of the sci fi titles (are the comedic, epic, etc or is there no real preference) and then to look at similar lists of the titles licensed by other major companies.

If form that it shows that bandai licenses many sci fi titles while other companies don't really tend to then you have evidence that, for any given sci fi title released, in absence of other factors (studio relationships, subgenre clashes, problems, etc), that Bandai has a high likelihood of licensing it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Well, the latter point about how much weight should be given to the original creator's intent is probably something we have to agree to disagree on. Personally though, if it is that creator's story, it should be valued.... it's his (or her) characters, point of view, story, pacing, etc.

I mean, if you go too far to the other side, you may as well as validate all the fan fic authors who turn around and pair certain characters who have no are doing things with each other that has no business existing.

That's not really fair. Nobody would claim that a change made that makes no sense or doesn't fit at all is okay. The point here is that changes can be made for the better. Really, comparing fanfics to this is apples to oranges.

Quote:
So yes, I would very much say that the assumption that the original creator is almost always right is the view that I do adhere to - and in my opinion here, anything less is disrespectful to the author.

Again, thats not fair. If you greatly value it being the original. Okay. For that reason I can see where the original would be preferable to you. That really doesn't seem applicable to which is actually better though. I mean, what if you were shown an anime and a manga and not told which was the original. Then you were told the one you liked least was the original. Would it sudenly be better now?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Plus it's much easier to take care of the material then a dvd which one good scratch can ruin. While it has nothing to do with the material itself in any way I know several people who prefer manga for this reason I mentioned. I'm just mentioning it as food for thought honestly and not making any real point. Consider it simple ramblings.

It's funny, but I'd view this part of the argument in the other direction. It's fairly easy to keep DVDs in mint condition, provided you're not ham-handed when handling them. However, when reading any book repeatedly, you're going to inevitably wind up with a creased binding, discoloration on the page edges from the oil in your skin, the occasional smudge, and all sorts of wear-and-tear on the cover. I've been an avid reader for most of my life, and even though I'm reasonably careful now, the books I've read the most are easy to identify; heck, sometimes I wonder what's holding my Lord of the Rings set together. Razz

You are dead-on about the portability, unfortunately. At the very least, one can make another good argument for legally purchasing series, seeing as how a DVD is just about infinitely more compatible than a bunch of questionably-obtained files in some arcane container format.

Well I've found my own way of reading to where I don't bend the spines near as much as normally would happen. So my books stay in better shape I suppose. I'm really anally retentive about my books and the quality they stay in.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Bandai Lists
Just a couple of things about those lists:

Serial Experiments Lain is Geneon.

Dan Doh! is a golf anime, no mecha or s/f.

Scrapped Princess, once you get further into it, has sci-fi elements to go along with the fantasy.

Although the Galaxy Angel franchise is classified under sci-fi, it's more of a cute/absurd comedy that just happens to be in a sci-fi setting. Same with Digi Charat Nyo -- I haven't seen it, but it's from another one of those Kage-Donbo / Broccoli "cute" franchises.

Angel Tales is distinctly shounen / harem, with a bit of fantasy.

While Please Teacher has sci-fi and aliens, its pseudo-sequel Please Twins (not listed) is primarily a romantic drama / comedy with some minimal s/f elements.

And these days, Bandai's been teaming up with Kadokawa on otaku-oriented comedy like MoHS and Lucky Star. While MoHS does have some sci-fi component, it was still a considerable surprise (at least to me) when the announcement came out. I do agree about Bandai's general leanings, but they have tried and will continue to try to diversify their catalogue a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9