• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
newbie looking for good robot anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starganderfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Hi guy's,
I'm a newbie to this site and relatively inexperienced regarding anime. However I'm 34 years old so I grew up with the anglicized remakes such as Macros, Star Blazers, G Force and the like.
Watched some manga (as it was called in the 90's at the local video store) like Akira, Pat Labour, Neon Genesis Evangelion and the like in the 90's and more recently have rewatched Neon Genesis (though I admit I still kind of tuned out in the last episode or two - it all got a bit esoteric for me). I caught a few episodes of Code Geass on the ABC and managed to get my hands on the rest of the series on DVD which I'm quite enjoying.

I'm looking for some suggestions for other similar anime, ie: Real Robot or Super Robot themed, or sci fi/space opera, good characterization and plot (though as I said Evangelion was a bit weird towards the end) I would also prefer English dubbing (I'm sure many would consider this blasphemy but I just find it easier to follow that way, plus I often burn the episodes onto my iPhone for watching on the train so subtitles become to small to read).
Any suggestions for shows would be appreciated
Cheers
ayyu

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
I personally am on a search for good old-fashioned robot series so I can only name newer shows, but out of the ones I've seen:

- Gundam in general was fun to watch, especially as the warring sides aren't defined black/white as good or evil. I admit I've only seen a bit of the first series and some newer ones, though.
- Escaflowne was fantastic, mind you I see it with rose-colored lenses as it was during my teens when I was new to anime. Also, it may be a bit girly for your tastes but it's a unique mix of shoujo fantasy and shounen elements and the atmosphere and music is beautiful.
- Bokurano, which is just heart breaking. It's very different from the ones you mentioned, though there's definitely an Eva influence, but it was good (though it lost some steam at the end)

I hear really good things about RahXephon, only saw about a quarter of it though, I need to get around to finishing it.

As for mech designs, the mechs from the space opera Five Star Stories are GORGEOUS. I'm intrigued but I don't know much else about it. I know it's a manga, but there's some anime spin-off of it or something. Another one for the long to-read/watch list. *sigh*
takimaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
gundam well that depends on how far and how much you want to spend as it is a big franchise, Madman at last count only had 4 series on release..

R4 release
appleseed
appleseed ex machina
battle of the planets
bubblegum crisis 2032
bubblegum crisis 2040
cyber city oedo
fafner
full metal panic
full metal panic ff
full metal panic tsr
gasaraki
ghost in the shell
ghost in the shell: innocense
ghost in the shell: stand alone complex
ghost in the shell: stand alone complex 2nd gig
godanner
gravion
gravion zwei
gun x sword
guyver the bio boosted armor
heat guy j
infinite revius
karas
Kiddy grade
M.A.S.K
martian successor nadesico
martian successor nadesico:prince of darkness
mobile suit gundam wing
mobile suit gundam wing: endless waltz
mobile suit gundam seed
mobile suit gundam seed destiny
mobile suit gundam seed destiny: final plus
neon genesis evangelion
new getter robo
patlabor 1&2
patlabor wx3
planates
robotech
star blazers
starship operators
steel angel karumi
stellvia
vandred 1st stage
vandred 2nd stage
voltron lion
voltron vehicle
Yukikaze

region 1 releases

dai guard
escaflowne
exo squad
gaogaiga
giant robo
gun buster
kannazuki no miko
magic knight rayearth
Mobile suit gundam movie collection 3
Mobile suit gundam ms 08th team
mobile suit gundam ms 08th team miller's report
mobile suit gundam F91
mobile suit g gundam fighter collection 1
mobile suit g gundam fighter collection 2
mobile suit gundam 0080 war in the packet collection
mobile suit gundam 0083 star dust memory collection
mobile suit gundam Char's counter attack 1
mobile suit gundam zeta collection 1
mobile suit gundam zeta collection 2 5
sd gundam force s2
pilot candidate
saber marionette j
saber marionette r
z.o.e.

there is a few space battle opera's listed there though it should give you a mixture of things to watch
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1