• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic Users Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkiRa 84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
To me, Magikano is among the best comedies ever. Plus it had a great cast and music.

I wonder how does one make something erotic without objectifying the protagonists? The second episode didn't surprise me at all, because I have seen similar examples of "battle for attention" hundreds of times. If someone starts to treat women as objects because of a TV show, then that someone should buy a new brain.
And I think the reviewer missed the point on why Haruo endorsed the way Yuri acted.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Talking of Magikano, I feel that it was more of a parody form of both harem and magical girl shows. It's trying to cram as many jokes as possible in each episode by being purposely misogynistic and outrageous, all while surrounded by the theme of magic and moe. Although, now that I remember, the English language version did use the word "bitch" almost twenty times (I check both languages all the time).

Having said that, I don't really have an opinion on the show. I have the DVD, I saw it, I laughed, I cringed at the "trying too hard" moments, and I put it back in my collection. Will I make an AMV using this? I don't know, but at least I've got source video so that I can. Just hope Netflix doesn't catch on.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
phoenixphire24 wrote:
I attempted to watch Magikano at Fanime last year, and I couldn't make it past episode 2 either.

For what it is worth, episode 2 was (in my opinion) certainly the low point in that regard for the series as a whole. There is indeed some hysterically funny stuff in the ecchi slapstick comedy vein that can be found in Magikano. But it comes with a pretty heavy load of negative baggage as well, and it certainly isn't a series that I'm going to be recommending to anyone who is not looking for a heaping helping of fanservice or who might be bothered by the less savory content. So I'm not about to argue with Bamboo's review - there is no denying that Magikano contains material that many will no doubt find objectionable, and Bamboo has both the right and the responsibility as a reviewer to point this out.

I agree! I didn't have too many problems with the first episode, as there was enough humor and plot to balance out the fan service. But that second episode just turned me off completely. Some day when I'm really bored and starved for anime, I might look past episode 2 and give it another shot.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
AkiRa 84 wrote:
To me, Magikano is among the best comedies ever.

I'm assuming then that it is the only comedy you have ever seen.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
AkiRa 84 wrote:
I wonder how does one make something erotic without objectifying the protagonists?

Ever hear of a little idea called romance? You'd be amazed what you could do with it without objectifying either party. If you want an anime example of something erotic without objectifying the protagonists watch the end of Please Teacher. Or read the last volume of Ai Yori Aoshi in case you prefer manga.
vega427

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't know what misogynistic meant, until I opened the dictionary before typing this. It read something to the effect of hating women......I didn't come away from it thinking that at all. I certainly didn't buy it expecting some of the best anime ever, but I did enjoy volume 1 and will continue watching it.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Magikano?

I don't care for no Magikano.

I want Magipoka!

I know there's too much anime out there, but I want this one. I want it even if it's subtitled only!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's like every time I write a review that people don't agree with, suddenly my past opinions no longer exist. Did you not read in the SAME COLUMN how I endorsed the Air movie? Did you not read previous columns where I said I liked Kanon and the Air series?
That's what I thought too. And I was thinking back to older columns where series like Dears and Please Twins were treated relatively kindly. I was hoping Magikano would escape the dreaded Perishable category, but looking at many columns over time, Bamboo's been a lot more accepting/forgiving of fanservice, harem, and moe male-targeted anime than the average female viewer would be.

Magikano makes the mistake of trying to be too serious for its own good later on, but I thought it was a very entertaining series overall, based on the (creatively edited, but mostly accurate) fansubs and the first 5 episodes in the English dub. And oh, that English dub had me lol-ing like it was the first time all over again. Some things you just don't expect to hear when you put an anime DVD into your player, like "Yuri's gonna have to choke a bitch!" Laughing

However, I say "entertaining" and not "good." I took it as a not-to-be-taken-seriously pseudo-harem anime, and I say "psuedo" because it's less about wish fulfillment for male viewers, and more about watching the ridiculous, over-the-top competitions, magic battles and insult exchanges between the girls. Haruo gets pretty much ignored for a great deal of the time. I thought the contest in episode 2 was a high point, but then again I'm squarely in the target audience for Magikano, and the whole objectification thing didn't enter into my mind. Overall, I interpreted the review here as "Magikano can be an entertaining guilty pleasure anime, but due to the misogynistic elements, I'm gonna have to bump it down to Perishable." Which I have to admit, is a realistic evaluation. At least Magikano didn't get über-panned like Ragnarök did.
Derrasanc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
Though I totally agree with Ragnarok The Animation being a rather horrid show, I disagree with the comment about the japanese dub, with the lead female role voiced by Nana Mizuki, and having Aya Hisakawa and Takehito Koyasu among others in the support cast I found that at least the voice acting wasn't too bad.

Then again, a bad show does make you rather negative about many things in it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
Derrasanc wrote:

Do I have your permission to quote you here?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:37 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Derrasanc wrote:

I think that Derrasanc meant that if a show is bad overall you will be more inclined to be negative towards things in it. Something that you might not have noticed or minded as much in an otherwise good show will be more likely to irritate you or displease you. This is very true as is the reverse. You are more likely to overlook flaws if you are enjoying something.
Derrasanc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Derrasanc wrote:

I meant it exactly how ikillchicken explained it, I was referring to that the reviewer found the voice actors screechy and annoying and she may have not noticed it, or maybe even thought it fitted, had the show she had been watching been a more enjoyable experience.

Last edited by Derrasanc on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
BRD529

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
@BRD529:
Where the heck do you get an anime based pachinko machine anyway? Whoever said that it was hardcore, I will have to tend to agree with.

I also collect pachinkos, and I've got 6 others besides the two Devilman machines in the pics (plus two other slot machines). I'd say more than half of the pachinkos produced are anime, manga, or movie themed. There are a handful of decent importers here in the States, or you can buy them from YJ and have them shipped (not recommended).

The machines I have right now are:

Devilman (x2)
Golgo13 (x2)
Cutey Honey
Mazinger Z
Evangelion
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
This is indirectly related to Magikano, but the point is still clear:

I thought Austin Powers 3: Goldmember was the funniest film of all three. I do NOT, however, think it was the best out of the trilogy (loose plot structure, one deleted scene explaining another). There's a difference between hilarity and quality, and, unfortunately, comedies rarely come off with both at the same time. Scary Movie can be funny, if not crude; Mitch Hedberg can be clever and non sequitur, if not funny (he just reminds me too much of Steven Wright). So I agree with Zalis' comment on Magikano. It's Excel Saga funny, but not Genshiken good.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
By definition a misogynist is a person who hates women. How can a person hate a woman, but desire their body? They may not respect the person for who they are, but they don't hate the physical form. By definition a misogynist would hate both and would either want nothing to do with women, or want to eliminate them. But not lust for their bodies to have their wicked way with.
E.g.("Oh yeah, I hate that Britany Spears so much I want to shag her to death.") That's not misogynous.
E.g.("I want a horse to shag her to death." )
That is.

And rape is just sex, right?

THe idea is a misogynist hates women, is afraid fo them, so has to but them in their place.
Remember Alice Cooper?
Remember "Under My Wheels"?
Girlfriend calls, wants a ride, guy wants to be left alone, but gets talked into taking her whereever she wants to go.
"You just couldn't see that you were under my wheels, honey. Why won't you let me be?"
Like that.

THere was someone who suggested Errol Flynn, for being a womanizer & all, was maybe afraid of them, or having a real relationship with a woman. David Niven? Someone else?

Sort of like Light in DeathNote thinking himself better than everyone, seeing everyone as his pawn to be destroyed when he felt they were no longer useful. (I argue Light's a misogynist since he never treated women well, but he did keep Misa around. I even argue he could have been gay & refused to accept that) I re-read Vol 12 last night & noticed this time how he spoke of his father almost as if his own father was someone totally unrelated to him (because god doesn't have a father?)

As for yaoi, at another forum, we were discussing the interest to women & one of the things that came up was it is fantasy. Incredibly beautiful boys expressing their love for one another, forbidden love (like incest) they are able to "overcome", but they usually are very romantic. Whatever Western women may get out of it, one of the things in Japan is romance is very different. Public Displays of Affection are not as common. I recall reading of one American male saying his Japanese girlfriend was very embarrassed about PDA's or even saying "I love you".
Yaoi boys kiss, say "I love you", show a level of emotions many Japanese girls can only dream of ever experiencing in their lives. The fact one of the couple is usually a pretty thinly-veiled chick, but with male plumbing leans more toward a hatred of women (why not just make him a her & the title shojo?) than men, though in reality is just major fantasy overload. A girl in Japan can read yaoi, see the boys experiencing that love because both are male & "equal" as opposed to the unequality women experience in Japan. The boys in yaoi are like the old attitude toward movie stars in the 30's & 40's-that they live glamorous lives. Maybe they have some hassles, but I have yet to come across the nasty "girlfriend", the type trying to steal the heroine's boyfriend (Peach Girl's friend has to be one of the worst) in yaoi. Even when there is another vying for the affections of one of the couple, the guy backs down so the couple can have their true love. If the author has her act together, the interloper even gets his own boyfriend so it can be happy endings for all. Girls in yaoi who want one of the boys just get nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8