• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Science Website Calculates Price of Building Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Or heck, screw all of this! While we're on the subject of mecha, I want a Guges!

You have a point here. Not only are the Guge battle suits really cool, but they would be a good first step on the road towards realizing a fully functional giant mecha. Besides, not that the Tachicomas aren't cool, far from it, I've always felt the smaller scale human-operated Guge battle suits from Appleseed would be my most favorite thing to operate if it were real. Just look at they way they move in the first Appleseed film and just try to tell me you wouldn't want to take a spin in one of those machines. I think many, probably most, would say yes in a heartbeat.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
if i had 800mill i wood build a gundam there a few people cars i what to smash
Twisted Evil
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not only would it weigh 43.4 tons according to the fictional anime statistics, but it would apply 1.2 to 1.4 times that weight in ground pressure when it walks or runs. Unless it was shaped like a pyramid, it would sink into almost any ground that would normally support a human.

What's the point of building a gundam to spec if it would sink into the ground regardless...

Further it would be vastly more efficient to produce the weaponry capable of taking a gundam out and mass producing that for an infantry operated weapon. Be it a tank, a rifle, a grenade, an artillery piece or support platform or aircraft.

You can have a gundam...I'll take 100 guns that can take the gundam out and 100 guys to operate them...who's going to win now!
Saint Juste

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Carlos Slim can build up to four with his fortune : D!!! he can be the next.... guy like in Gundam 00 that was 200 hundred years old or something like that Anime hyper
Hahaha but Jesus they have time in their hands to think something like that
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Now just think...

Bill Gates could buy like, 50 of those. Round the price tag up to about 1.5 billion to get some weapons and flying ability...

Quick! Everyone show Bill Gates your insane potential so that when he amasses his Gundam army you can pilot them!
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:

You have a point here. Not only are the Guge battle suits really cool, but they would be a good first step on the road towards realizing a fully functional giant mecha. Besides, not that the Tachicomas aren't cool, far from it, I've always felt the smaller scale human-operated Guge battle suits from Appleseed would be my most favorite thing to operate if it were real. Just look at they way they move in the first Appleseed film and just try to tell me you wouldn't want to take a spin in one of those machines. I think many, probably most, would say yes in a heartbeat.

Also, unarmed and without the extra reinforcement needed for combat, they probably wouldn't cost anymore to build than a rather expensive car. They could build affordable civilian versions, and then have reinforced police/military models. Much more economical than an 80-foot robot or A.I. tank that chatters too much.

And just think, we could all sit down and watch "Pimp My Landmate" on MTV!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much it would cost to build a veritech u never know when giants will attack
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Landmates would be cool, but if that article's right we'd never be able to make a decent Gundam with any combat ability without first drastically reducing the weight. Stepping stones my friends, stepping stones. If anything we'd probably have to either discover some miraculous new light and extremely durable metal in space or engineer one ourselves before we could get the weight down to workable levels.

The way I see it, we should start with powered armor, then to smaller exo-suits like the landmates, then maybe to something tachikoma or fuchikoma sized, then think about Gundams.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kaleidostars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
bet they didn't take into consideration the cost of research and all that
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
I can't wait for the japanese government to build so I can "accidently" come across it and miraculously pilot it as I "borrow" it on a random trip to Japan.

LOL, that's the start for every Gundam show I've ever watched!!

But really, the technology is not here yet to make one IMO. First we have no Gundranium Confused second, the thing needs to be able to fly, or at least jump really really high. and we need beam sabers and particle weapons, and, and.... the list goes on.

More time and research is needed, then we shall have our Gundam!!!
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
If I remember correctly the original RX-78 cost a good deal more than the MS06 Zaku-II which in turn probably cost more than the Old Type Zaku. I can't imagine these figures would represent the "price of building Gundam" but rather the price of building a Proto-Zaku from the early U.C. 70s. The topic's title would have been better stated as price of building a Mobile Suit.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
Meh, I prefer Code Geass's mecha. Confused

That show makes mecha seems so much more realistic.

One Lancelot for me please! I promise I won't keep trying to kill my megalomaniac childhood friend, abandoning his sister and screwing his first love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3