• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-18]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
It's not "Japanese cartoons" dude... it's Japanamation!
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
If the most pressing issue on your mind is "Does this candidate like/know about/even care about anime?" you shouldn't be voting. Neutral
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, I actually made it on here before the thread was 20 pages deep! Can't remember the last time that happened...

I agree wholeheartedly on your answer to the first question. I use both the terms "manga" and "Japanese comics" fairly frequently, depending on who my audience is, as some people will understand the former but everyone knows what the latter means. The questioner's tone is pretty hilarious, though...."please be more careful in the future," as if you made the mistake out of ignorance or something. Sheesh.

I, for one, can tell a lot from a trailer. Maybe it stems from being a part of the generation who HAD to decide what to buy based on not much more than trailers and the reviews in Animerica, but I still think you can gleam a lot from a trailer, particularly when it comes to tone of the series and quality of the animation. Of course, late-90s ADV perfected the artform of editing trailers to basically make all their series look good while simultaneously not telling you anything about them, but there are good, informative trailers out there. Nothing beats being able to watch the first episode of a show for free to sample it, though.

Melt Banana, huh? Wow. I'd vote for the Pillows or Pizzicato Five, myself. Smile

Oh yeah, and Ron Paul? Yikes. The more I look into Ron Paul, the more convinced I am that his supporters just really haven't looked at him closely enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
If you ran an anime company, what sort of anime would you license, and how would you sell it in today's R1 market?

I have a feeling in the minds of many, it's going to be "What anime do you wish was licensed for R1?" and they won't think about the market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
LOL to the first person. What a nit-picker. Be more careful? Is the world going to end if Zac says the wrong things?

.....wait. Maybe.

This is just thought that comes to mind reading the second question. but lets say one of those "sites" that offer fansubs rasied funds and then sent them to the creators with an explantion. It wouldn't be anywhere near the raping that occurs in some cases but it'd be something. Or is there a group already doing this?

But as for trailers, they can make me laugh but 30 seconds isn't enough to decided on a show. And sure, they offer some shows for free preview, but be real- there are still hundreds you don't get to watch. It's fine and dandy if I want to watch/buy something from ADV.

(FYI: I'll give this right now, for the most part the only anime company that has stuff online for free is ADV. Geneon use to have trailer discs (but still their shows were way too much, to me) and Media Blasters had a few samplers but in most cases you had to buy the products to get it, same as Media Blasters. ADV is really trying to do something.)

Hm... my faves are Utada & Hyde. Gackt use to be up there- so much I imported a cd but I wasn't a fan of his newer works. Despiars Ray is cool too. (I'm a passing fan w/them so if I spelled their name wrong...)

I actually had a dream about a president for anime. Besides the money going into Gundam research it was a fun pocky time.

As for answerfans, I would over the number of eps per first disc to be shown online. For free. Espeically if the show is a drama, it'd be easy to get many hooked.

I'd also have a lot of promotion. Not just saying, yeah its on tv somewheres find its time slot and station!

Last edited by britannicamoore on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:32 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Although I already know Ron Paul is a racist libertarian lunatic

...damn. Libertarian = yes... racist, I have no idea where that came from aside from poorly based rumors across the net. And just because his supporters are a bit over-eager it doesn't make them all insane. They are loud and unrelenting to make up for the fact that most broadcast networks are doing their best to pretend Ron Paul doesn't exist by excluding him at debates for B.S. reasons amongst numerous other things. Its an unfair situation, which I'd wager angers a lot of his supporters.

I'm not getting into a big political spiel on an anime forum of all places... but yeesh its upsetting to see a widely read article, that I often enjoy, slander a candidate simple as that when someone sent a satirical email probably just for shits and giggles.

Last edited by scortia on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
I don't think there's a problem calling a manga a comic. The problem with the term "cartoon" is that it has definite connotations beyond just referring to something that's animated.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
scortia wrote:

...damn. Libertarian = yes... racist, I have no idea where that came from aside from poorly based rumors across the net. And just because his supporters are a bit over-eager it doesn't make them all insane. They are loud and unrelenting to make up for the fact that most broadcast networks are doing their best to pretend Ron Paul doesn't exist by excluding him at debates for B.S. reasons amongst numerous other things. Its an unfair situation, which I'd wager angers a lot of his supporters.

I'm not getting into a big political spiel on an anime forum of all places... but yeesh its upsetting to see a widely read article, that I often enjoy, slander a candidate simple as that when someone sent a satirical email probably just for shits and giggles.

I don't know about the racist part, but I have to ask, have you ever heard him speak about his ideas? The man is a lunatic. If it were up to him, he would abolish every department in the Executive branch...
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
I actually really like watching anime trailers. Though they haven't ever convinced me to buy something I wouldn't have bought anyway, they have gotten me to add things to my Netflix queue before.

Before reading this article, I happened to be thinking of writing in to Zac to ask what he thinks about anime trailers . . . so I guess I'll just post my thoughts here. I've noticed that I frequently dislike ADV's trailers, despite the fact that they seem to spend more money on them than other anime companies. They often pay one of the voice actors to record dialoge specifically for the trailer, yet they end up just talking about how great the show is without actually showing you what makes it great. At the other extreme is Geneon, which would often just use the opening sequence as a "trailer", or even occasionally use an untranslated Japanese trailer (yet I seem to like these better than ADV's trailers). And then there are other companies like Bandai Entertainment which seem to do more normal trailers like what you would see for a non-anime movie, with just text and scenes from the anime, but not any specially recorded dialoge. I was really wondering if people agree with me that ADV seems to be throwing money away on their trailers, when going with a normal trailer or even just showing the opening sequence would work better. Maybe I'm the only one that has that opinion (or even cares enough about anime trailers to think about which ones I like . . .).
zhir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
scortia wrote:

He published a racist newsletter, although there is some doubt as to if he really wrote the articles.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1835179/posts

Skip the guy's comments and read the attached Associated Press article.

Anyway, I don't think that the fansub preview thing justifies their existence, but I don't think it's morally wrong to watch one episode to decide if you should buy it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Isn't it just as wrong to be an apologist who just assumes an occurance is due to a cause that most benefits their viewpoint? Frankly, Ron Paul's campaign has been doing underground internet campaigning since day 1, I've received several and there's been spam hitting forums from bots for his campaign; including ANN at times(though the filter nabbed them). He's also not admitted at debates for the same reason as other candidates, he's not alone in this and it is not some anti-Ron Paul conspiracy as people like to tell you. Seems like a whole lot of over-compensation and a posture that's a bit too defensive to me which only makes one question him more. Not to mention the "rumors" have a lot of basis in reality as much as supporters like to play them down. You really thing someone is publishing a newsletter with content of that nature for that long and doesn't know what's being put in it? Either he knew and that identifies the problem, or he really was that careless and irresponsible, which presents another problem. Either way, it's a serious matter that people are justly calling in to question.

Back in line with the comments in Answerman. I'm with Zac regarding the whole elitist remarks of people correcting others when they say anime is a cartoon or manga is a comic. It's similar to the usage of the word "otaku" in my eyes. I can understand a desire to use more correct terminology; but writing a letter like that because someone said "comic" in an article instead of "manga"? That's a tad overboard.

Regarding the fansubs; I don't see a problem with the fansub preview concept or even streaming anime as long as it's supported by some financial means that will make it back to the studio much like streamed content from the networks these days. I've never had a problem with those who watch fansubs and buy later when they enjoy the series. It's always been the freeloaders I've fought against and who I will always fight against.

Anyways, politics and fansubs and anime/manga versus cartoons/comics all in one thread. I'm not looking forward to being a moderator this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
...am I the only one who finds it drop dead hilarious that so many people get their panties in a bunch over people calling manga 'comics', and yet, if you walk into a japanese bookshop, the sign above the manga section clearly says 'comics' (or rather, 'komikkusu') in katakana?
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
...am I the only one who finds it drop dead hilarious that so many people get their panties in a bunch over people calling manga 'comics', and yet, if you walk into a japanese bookshop, the sign above the manga section clearly says 'comics' (or rather, 'komikkusu') in katakana?

People chew me out every time i point things like that out.

Or the fact that I've seen japanese citizens referring to spiderman and Superman as "Manga"
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

Count me also in the camp of those that fail to see why some people get so anal about this subject. I mean it's rather silly honestly to get that uptight over it to the point some people do. Especially since the sheer truth is they are cartoons in the case of anime. Calling them anime is just classifying a certain type of cartoons. Namely those from Japan. It's like saying Manchego isn't the same as Havarti because Manchego is from Spain and Havarti is primarily Dutch. The thing is they're both still cheese just as anime is still just an animated cartoon. The same can be said for manga being called a comic.

And for those who like Ron Paul simply because he "likes anime" let me ask you this, have you seen him watch any? Until I do I won't believe it personally as anything more then a publicity stunt. And on that topic if liking anime is all it takes for you to vote for someone then would you have supported Germany in WWII if Hitler had liked anime? He tried to commit genocide on the jews and did other unspeakable acts but if he liked anime (assuming anime was around at that point) then he would've been ok right? How about Stalin?

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I was really wondering if people agree with me that ADV seems to be throwing money away on their trailers, when going with a normal trailer or even just showing the opening sequence would work better.

Some of them, maybe, but they have some really good ones, too. I had never even heard of Kurau, and the trailer for that was so good that I ran out and rented the first disc the same day I saw the trailer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10