• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ping Pong Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Ping Pong Club is hilarious. It's a guilty pleasure, much like Colorful. I wouldn't call PPC the Beavis and Butthead of japan, since I don't think PPC had any fire jokes edited out. Twisted Evil
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Louie-kun wrote:
Ping Pong Club is hilarious. It's a guilty pleasure, much like Colorful. I wouldn't call PPC the Beavis and Butthead of japan, since I don't think PPC had any fire jokes edited out. Twisted Evil

I absolutely love Colorful. It's one of the DVDs that I can watch over and over again, both subbed and dubbed. It seems ridiculous to love a show about panties, but it's unique and variegated enough to really entertain.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:26 am Reply with quote
That's the beauty of it. Plus, the episodes are only 8 minutes in length. I don't think it would be as good if the eps were 30 minutes.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:44 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I absolutely love Colorful. It's one of the DVDs that I can watch over and over again, both subbed and dubbed. It seems ridiculous to love a show about panties, but it's unique and variegated enough to really entertain.

That's another one I want to see now. Surprised Panites! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:11 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Colorful is a great one... but I don't much like the dubbed version. It's not as painful as, say, Love Hina, but it grates on my nerves all the same...

I think I like the Yamamoto sections best... her coach is a freak... Course, that guy and the kotatsu is a riot, as well...
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:28 am Reply with quote
Well, so much for getting Ping Pong Club, I finally had enough money (55$ to be exact), and I got volumes 2 & 3 of Excel Saga, and the first DVD over Ping Pong Club, oh well, there's always next time. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mbanu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Recently started re-watching this -- I'm not sure if it's bad or "bad", but it's certainly fascinating.

First, those character designs! One thing I really enjoyed is that pretty was the exception, not the default. Characters of both sexes were distinctive, memorable, but usually not pretty unless it was intentionally used as a part of a plot device. A wide variety of body-types too -- fat girls on the girl's ping pong team, middle-aged teachers with dated haircuts, growth-spurt middle schoolers wearing unflattering short-shorts... How much of this was the manga, and how much the character designer? (Speaking of which, who was the character designer? There seems to be a bit of confusion over it...)

Second, there are a lot of dicks and dick-jokes. A lot of them are really funny, but I really can't think of the last show I saw with that many dicks in it. Was there some sort of 90s dick-joke comedy window that shut in Japan, or was this unique even back then?

Third, the background music -- Katsu Hoshi made some really good decisions here. Not surprising considering he also worked on Only Yesterday with Studio Ghibli and Mamoru Oshii's Urusei Yatsura movie.

What's the story behind this? He seems kind of like a big fish in a small pond, considering that this is a show about "juvenile humor" in both the literal and metaphorical sense. The director too -- making the jump from Little Nemo, Stitch!, and Ringing Bell to Ping Pong Club seems kind of impressive.

Could a show like this be made today?
Observe

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
I used to watch this in the 90s. Very funny. Another funny one from the 90s is called "Golden Boy" . It's only 11 episodes. Some super perverted kid on a bike that rides cross country picking up jobs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2