• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Haruka TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Don't people realize that almost nothing is sold at MSRP anymore? I'm sure the price per disc will be around $24 to $26 depending on the store. And possibly cheaper. I do not see why people get their panties in a bunch over this so often. Yes BV's prices tend to be on the high side but it seems to be working for them. It isn't like they are licensing popular things and charging a lot for them. They are catering to a certain crowd. And it looks as though they are trying a different market with Haruka and that is why they are going to charge less for it. It makes sense from a business standpoint anyway. I hope they do well with this release.

I don't have very much disposable income, so at 29.99 a pop that's almost unheard of. This is the exact reason why I buy most of my anime either used or get them as gifts.
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Viz would pick the TV series up, as they have the manga. Viz would have probably brought us a reasonably priced boxed set.

These high prices sound unfortunate... I really like the TV show though.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Xanas wrote:
Theoretically they'd make more if lowered prices, but I don't know that anyone can prove whether or not it's true.

Historical economics can show a positive trend that it is almost always mostly true. So much so that I believe it would move it well out of theory.

I'm not talking about the amount of sales, I'm talking about the amount of profit. Economics would dictate that there is a point at which supply and demand meet at a certain particular price point to maximize total profits. I'd need a lot more information than I have available to me to reasonably assess the effectiveness of various prices (not to mention, the supply/demand curves are harder to balance for something varied like anime).
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
YAY!!! Haruka got licensed!! WOOHOO!!! WAIT!!! If Bandai Visual got it...ARE THEY GONNA DUB IT?!

That's like asking if George Washington is going to rise from his grave, have a one-night stand with Britney Spears and give birth to Cthulhu.

If you think it has even the slightest possibility of happening...you should probably stop taking whatever it is you're taking.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. I like this show and stuff and if it's licensed, I'm happy anyway. I guess it's not gonna be dubbed then. Why is it that Bandai Visual doesn't dub anime? Oh! I kinda expected Viz to get it too.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I guess it's not gonna be dubbed then. Why is it that Bandai Visual doesn't dub anime?

When you watch a foreign film in theaters, or buy it on DVD, do you expect a dub? So, why expect one with an anime?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
domino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
domino wrote:
And at that price, I guess I can expect a dub to go along with it.

Please tell me why you think this?

For $30 a DVD, I assume the higher cost is to fund a dub? Sub-only DVDs are often cheaper. Bandai would have to have guts to release a sub-only TV series for $30 a DVD.

Edit: I take that back; looked Bandai Visual USA up in the encyclopedia and it looks like they have indeed charged $30+ for a sub-only DVD before ($40 for a 2-episode sub-only DVD? That's got to be some kind of joke). I now see why everyone is screaming over Bandai getting it. I'm now torn between supporting the Haruka anime by buying it or not buying it to keep money out of Bandai's pockets...

Edit2: Whoops, just saw the press-release to see that it is indeed sub-only. Yikes. It also bothers me that they translated "Hachiyou" into "Eight Guardians" instead of "Eight Leaves", which is a big no-no in the NeoRomance series world ("Guardians" is the title for the Angelique crew). I'm sure 99% of the people purchasing won't know or care, but it makes me an angry fan.

Last edited by domino on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I'm not talking about the amount of sales, I'm talking about the amount of profit.

Um, I was talking about profits too. However, how you can seperate that amount from sales seems utterly ingenuous.
Quote:
Economics would dictate that there is a point at which supply and demand meet at a certain particular price point to maximize total profits. I'd need a lot more information than I have available to me to reasonably assess the effectiveness of various prices (not to mention, the supply/demand curves are harder to balance for something varied like anime).

Maybe it's from going through business school, but there is a lot more information out there if you just know how to use it and interpret it. And surprisingly it takes a lot less information and even knowledge to draw an effective conclusion than you seem to think. Whereas you seem fail to see a cogent assessment, I do.

Remember, we are not talking about a new technology, or an emerging market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I guess it's not gonna be dubbed then. Why is it that Bandai Visual doesn't dub anime?

When you watch a foreign film in theaters, or buy it on DVD, do you expect a dub? So, why expect one with an anime?
Not all foreign films ever get dubbed into English. I can except that and gladly have watched foreign films with subs in the past. However anime nowadays is usually made available with an English dub to sell, or rent more copies. The precedent has been set. it's too late to try and turn the clock back now and could be financially suicidal so to do.
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
domino wrote:
And at that price, I guess I can expect a dub to go along with it.

Please tell me why you think this?

Because they haven't read the press release. Unless something changes between now and release day, it's a sub-only release. Of course, it's also a shoujo title. That's the biggest strike this series has going against it.
Serge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Does this press release mean that Bandai Visual has obtained a distributor in North America again?

While the pricing is still high, and I have no interest in the series myself, I do think it'd be worthwhile to point out that this is still significantly cheaper than Bandai Visual USA's previous releases.

I also agree with what dormcat said, it's not as if anime is totally unaffordable even at higher prices, and other asian countries pay 2x to 4x as much as we do in the USA. Still, like Seif said, that doesn't mean that it is a good idea to charge similar prices in markets where competitors charge far less.

At the same time, if Bandai Visual USA holds true to past form, they will author their DVDs at a far higher bitrate and quality level than what is offered by other companies. So the deal is not that bad really if you don't mind the lack of a dub.

That's true I guess, better quality and they do put more extras, but I think they should put 2 DVD's in a single case, and sell it at a single DVD Price, like what FUNimation did with Ragnarok. that means you're getting 4-5 Episodes for $29.99 and that sounds much better...no squeezing or compressing because when I bought Galaxy Angel Rune DVD 1 (Sorry Guys) it has 1, 25 minute Episode on it, but it still came on a DVD-9 With all the extras.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Um, I was talking about profits too. However, how you can seperate that amount from sales seems utterly ingenuous.

Ok, so you were talking about profits. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by referring to sales, because the fact you were referring to profits means that you think you are automatically smarter than Bandai is. Please explain in detail how you arrive at these solid conclusions concerning profits?

Sales and profits are connected, but not directly. You know as well as I do that if you sell less units at a higher price you can make more than selling more units at a lower price, so I don't know why you are saying things like this.

Quote:

Whereas you seem fail to see a cogent assessment, I do.

Right, so Bandai is full of a bunch of morons who know nothing about business and didn't go to school? Get real here, your certainty about this is simply unwarranted. And if it is warranted you should be able to give me a lot more evidence and a lot less pointless words . We are just going in circles if you aren't providing me specific profit & sales figures with comparisons.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Xanas:
Okay you can stop with the emotional hyperbole anytime. I didn't infer any of that CRAP you are spouting. It is clear you have no clue as to what I was saying, as usual. Geez. Are you drunk?

I don't have time to give you a school lesson on pricing structures and the influence they have on markets. Take a class if you want all your theories to be dashed. And you forget that BVUSA is still being bound by a foreign business model. And if you think otherwise your hopelessly naïve.

Edit:
Oh and there is a difference between "can" and "is".

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Sorry. I like this show and stuff and if it's licensed, I'm happy anyway. I guess it's not gonna be dubbed then. Why is it that Bandai Visual doesn't dub anime? Oh! I kinda expected Viz to get it too.

The simple reason is that Bandai Visual thinks the U.S. market is identical to the Japanese one, with the lone exception that we by and large speak English over here. In other words, they think they can rape us the same way they rape the Japanese market (2 episodes for the equivalent of $50 is not just "not uncommon" over there, it's the norm), and the only concession they make to us is English subtitles. Unfortunately, we have enough greasy otaku with deep pockets over here to make their serial acts of larceny worthwhile. -_-;
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Sales and profits are connected, but not directly. You know as well as I do that if you sell less units at a higher price you can make more than selling more units at a lower price, so I don't know why you are saying things like this.

Considering that the sales numbers from Demon Prince Enma, Gunbuster 2 and Galaxy Rune should already have arrived I will assume that this marketing plan is working well enough for BVUSA for them to continue with it. Keep in mind that the profit for a DVD that is 100% more expensive (MS Igloo is $50 for 3 episodes) is higher than twice that of a regular DVD since there is a larger profit margin since the manufacturing costs are about the same for both DVDs. BVUSA didn't even bother re- authoring their Blu-ray editions since they are the same region code which means that they didn't spend any money on their domestic $80 release besides on packaging. The menus on these discs are still in Japanese!

Although TRSI does give the pre-order price on BVUSA titles TRSI was excluded on the 30% off almost everything sale last month. The only other studios that didn't participate that I can think of are Columbia which can be found on sale at amazon (amazon doesn't carry BVUSA anymore) and the already inexpensive IATV. BVUSA did count on their 20% off everything in stock sale, but there still hasn't been a BVUSA specific TRSI sale.

I would really hate to see how much BVUSA would charge if these DVDs had dubs with them. I still think that the best approach is for Bandai Visual Japan to release their R2 discs with subtitles at their current prices for those who really want to buy subbed copies on the Japanese release dates and to reassure against reverse importing. Companies like CDJapan and Rightstuf could then offer these to customers who are willing to spend more for the "higher quality" that BVUSA delivers. The current Ghibli model is following this course and seems to be working. This would also keep these titles available for a cheaper R1 license with dubs for those who don't mind waiting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6