• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Live-Action Dragon Ball Set Photos Leaked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I wonder what kind of corporate sponsorship they could throw into this movie? Maybe they'll have Goku getting knocked into a Coke machine and have cans of Coke roll out? Wink

Well, in an earlier photo, there was a Yellow Dodge Charger HEMI option. Not exactly a Capsule Car......
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
Spike throws his two cents, courtesy of Dark Horizons:

“Oh, Dragonball is the coolest television cartoon in the last 50, 000 years. It’s got a Shakespearean sense of good and evil. The movie has incredible action scenes with characters with unbelieveable powers. It’s going to be really visually exciting.”

When his stint on Without a Trace came up Marsters spoke of how the producers were "...miffed that I wasn't available anymore [due to Dragonball], which was both a surprise and kind of a compliment."
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:34 am Reply with quote
This movie will only be worth watching if it has narration from the same horrible narrator FUNimation used for DBZ, complete with unnecessary alliteration.

"WILL THE PEEVED PICCOLO DEFEAT THE ASSASSIN ANDROIDS? OR WILL THOSE RIOTOUS ROBOTS NULLIFY THE NAMEKIAN? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALLL ZEEEE!"

Oh, what lulz will be had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShinigamiZero16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:19 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
This movie will only be worth watching if it has narration from the same horrible narrator FUNimation used for DBZ, complete with unnecessary alliteration.

"WILL THE PEEVED PICCOLO DEFEAT THE ASSASSIN ANDROIDS? OR WILL THOSE RIOTOUS ROBOTS NULLIFY THE NAMEKIAN? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALLL ZEEEE!"

Oh, what lulz will be had.

Actualy i was gunna bring up eventualy, that since they ARE trying to collect the dragonballs... they definatly need to call up Funi and try to get Chris Sabat to do Shenron.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Given my user name, I feel compelled to add the Moomins to your list. Tove Jansson hated the cutesy anime adaptations.

Actually, Tove didn't like the anime series made in the 60's and the 70's but she consulted the studio that made the 90's series and she was pleased with it. I've read some of books ad I the last Moomin anime is pretty faithfull to them.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:

Given my user name, I feel compelled to add the Moomins to your list. Tove Jansson hated the cutesy anime adaptations.

Actually, Tove didn't like the anime series made in the 60's and the 70's but she consulted the studio that made the 90's series and she was pleased with it. I've read some of books ad I the last Moomin anime is pretty faithfull to them.

I stand corrected. And you're right, it was the earlier versions I was thinking of.
I haven't seen the more recent anime version - the only one available on DVD in the UK at the moment is the Polish version from the early 1980s.
gahyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
I honestly can't stand the fact that they're making a live action film of Dragon Ball. There are just some subjects you can't make movies about. It's seriously sad, how much they're milking Dragon Ball. I wonder what Toriyama is gonna think, when he witnesses it on a big screen. Sure he'll make alot of money royalties, but first and foremost, he's an artist. If I put all my effort into serializing my story into a comic book series, just so a foreign country can destroy it, I'd be pretty upset too. He'll probably shake his head in dissapointment. There is a reason as to why these stories are established in ink and paper....because it'll look ridiculous in real life. You wanna see the pictures move? That's why they're animated, thus....ANIME is born! Don't get me mistaken, there are some manga/anime you can take and turn to a legit film. But not Dragon Ball....yeah...not by a longshot.

Can you imagine Naruto as a live action?....Or how about your favorite Lucky Star characters, casted with random white chicks? NOOOO! Kagamin played by Lindsay Lohan!? That would suck.

The fact that they're making a live action EVA gets on my nerves too. It will probably be visually stunning, watching the EVA units in full CG. But we all know on this forum that, "Yeah, the robots are cool, but.....it's more than that." They're gonna sell out EVA, take out most of psychological confusion, we so love/hate at the same time. If Anno, had some say at all in it, yeah then you know we wouldn't have to worry, at least not alot.

Sorry for the rant. First time post!
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
Again, the piggybacking of threads continue.

1,500 extras needed for DBZ film.

Theirs a "It's over 9000" joke in here somewhere, but I ain't got a clue.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
So Stephen hosted a CJ7[It's a charming film, btw.] screening tonight, and when I asked him about Dragonball, he said that he was mostly a consultant for the film, and that they finished shooting. He also claims it won't suck[Though he didn't put it in those words. He said he believes it should be good.], so I'm crossing my fingers on that. Oh, and the kid's book in CJ7 has Pokemon characters on it. Smile
VEGETA_DTX

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
As a die hard DB/Z fan whole my life, and as someone who love DBZ most of everything! I will say that I am ultimately MAD!!! because of this...and that someone who supports this movie can not possibly be a DB fan, even if he call himself so.

And here is the stuff for true DB fans - http://www.petitiononline.com/dblam444/petition.html

Thank you very much for reading.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
It is petitions like that online that prevents anyone from ever taking an online petitions seriously. Yeah, they spent millions to make a movie, but because a few purist fans signed an online petition to tell them that they don't like it, ... well gee, they'll just cancel it and throw that money away. Yeah, that has basically 0 chance of doing anything but making people laugh.

If you don't like the adaptation, then don't go watch it. Until you are funding the movies, paying for peoples tickets and running the industry; then you are in no position to tell people what they can like, what can be made, and how they can make it. You hate the adaptation; well good for you, but you're not the only person in the world and neither are the other fans of the franchise. No one is going to make you watch the movie, if its simple existence really bothers you to the point then I suggest you take a step back and re-assess your priorities.

Adaptations are pretty common place in the world, even in the world of anime. Look at the Highlander movie, or Gankutsuou, or the upcoming Batman movie and so on and so forth. You think fans of The Count of Monte Cristo were thrilled to find out an anime adaptation was being made with all the changes that were made for the anime? Probably not, but anime fans enjoyed it and the original book is still intact for those fans so oh well. It's easy to whine about an adaptation when it's being made from something you're a fan of, and ignore the fact something is an adaptation when it's being adapted for the benefit of the fanbase you're a part of. Afraid it's a two way street though, that's the simple reality of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
Yeah, they spent millions to make a movie, but because a few purist fans signed an online petition to tell them that they don't like it, ... well gee, they'll just cancel it and throw that money away.

You never know. Look at what happened to that bootleg live-action Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie. Wink
chinabean

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
DBZ movie = fail.

Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6